Fleas

MonElite

Ok I have a 6 month old puppy that I got at 3 months.

In that time I have put 4 times on her anti flea stuff and cant get rid off them, the buggers!!!

Both dogs has the stuff applied, all bedding washed, got rid of whatever could potentially been infested with fleas.

I have applied advantix about a week ago, and yesterday - voila the fleas are on her again.

I cant be applying so much antiflea stuff on such a young dog, what do I do to get rid of them?????

You can buy flea bombs which you put around the house and/or everywhere! If you have washed, changed all bedding then that is good. It would be a good idea to do it again after the flea bombs. There are probably eggs around too. They may be breeding under the house or in the carpet...they are absolute buggers!!! Try the flea bombs (I think you buy them from the supermarket), if still no luck them maybe fumigate.

Make sure what you are using on her is to kill eggs as well as adult fleas. Speak with your vet to get an opinion on what you use on a pup. But you need to kill the breeding cycle which may not be on her or her bedding.

Good luck!

The products that I have put on the dogs were

Cant remember the name, we dont ahve this in Oz, it kills fleas, eggs, ticks, mosquitoes

Didnt work at all, was a made in the USA product

Second one was Advantage

Third Frontline

Fourth Advantix

Each time I have cleaned up the place spotless, I dont have carpets at home at all, leather sofa, waterbed and basically no fabric for fleas to breed in.

Each time washed their bedding.

It seems the fleas go away for few days after I aplly the stuff but in a week they are back!

She is on BARF and gets garlic in food already.

What else can I do?

Myzska,

I would re-apply advantix in two weeks and use it every two weeks until you get it under control. Try and vaccum really well (you'll need a Dyson :D ) and perhaps let some flea bombs off in the house when it's safe to do so. Remember they don't live on the dog's so try and work out where they could be getting them from.

Do you have any cats around? Neighbours dogs that have a flea problem?

If that all fails move up here. :)

As long as you use the correct dose for her size you will be fine. It is safe to use fortnighly as that is what you do for ticks.

My dogs rarely get fleas (touch wood maybe the ticks eat them...lol) the last time they had a flea treatment was over a year ago.

When they have had fleas I have found Advantage cleared them up very quickly.

When we first moved in here the cat (only ever in the house) always had fleas and frontline was doing nothing. I used the spot on and the spray and I think the fleas were drinking the stuff. I used Advantage on him three times and I have never seen another flea, I also think the Dyson does help.

Don't stress about you will get on top of it.

Hey in between treatments, get one of those metal flea combs and run it through her coat. The little suckers get stuck in the comb teeth and you can squash them.

Just to add, can I ask what flea treatment everyone uses and why, I have never used sentinal and was wondering if it is any good and how it compares to the others. (tablet form)

I have used the other Frontline and Advantage and thought one was as good as the other.

As it is time to get my stock ready for Summer, would like to know other opinions.

Sounds as though you may have a problem with the environment and that is by far the hardest to treat, by that we mean in the garden etc. Its all very well treating the house, dog bedding, and what ever in the way of sentinel spectrum, advantix etc etc but the buggers in the garden are hard to control. Have you had an insecticidal treatment done e.g. Amalgamated Pest Control?.

Advantix, Advantage, Frontline, Revolution, etc. control eggs/larvae. No good if there are heaps of adult fleas that attack your dog when outdoors. They are probably coming from another host and breeding in the grass on your property.

What sort of area do you live? Suburbs? Farm?

As well as vacuuming inside regularly, mow your lawn, especially in the country!

What other animals are nearby? Rats & mice? Possums? Cats? Get rid of them from your property if you can.

Remove anything from the yard where rodents will hide.

If puppy is not too young, a flea rinse will help.

After all that, get a pro in to nuke the outdoors! :)

I live in the inner city suburbia, but right next to a golf course

My only neighbour has a silky terrier, but there are possums and rat on the golf course, there is no way I can get rid of them.

A friend told me yesterday to spray the place with eucalyptus oil mixed with water, which I did (inside the house)

I got a bit trigger happy and there is no way anyone will have a blocked nose at my place.

I also sprayed the dogs and didnt see any fleas on them today.

Washed the bedding again, sprayed the dog houses etc