Natural Dog Treat Wanted

SALTWOOD

I need a small obsolutely natural, easy to store and keep treat or biscuit for my dogs.

One that I can give easily, keep in my pocket without making the inside pocket all yucky.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Does Eagle Pack make one or maybe there is one that is easy to make myself other than the dried liver which currently lines my pockets?

Edited by SALTWOOD

I can't see my dogs selling their souls for a carrot stick - I know I wouldn't!! :cool:

I was thinking of making some mini meat balls for dog training and some chew treat (don't know what) for when I reward them at home! :champagne:

Try it, my dogs steal carrots out of the fridge all the time, it shits me!! they do anything for it!!

Make your own liver treats :cool: :D

:rofl:

(24 hours after making them house still stinks!!)

I make all my dogs treats. The one I have found that every dog likes is liver bread. I tend to get mobbed by every Elkhound when I have liver bread in my pocket. :champagne: It is dry and doesn't make my hands or pockets greasy. I also make biscuits for them as well as other types of treats.

Edited by Norskgra

I make all my dogs treats. The one I have found that every dog likes is liver bread. I tend to get mobbed by every Elkhound when I have liver bread in my pocket. :champagne: It is dry and doesn't make my hands or pockets greasy. I also make biscuits for them as well as other types of treats.

Recipes please?

I will have a hunt around for some others if you would like more.

Liver Bread

Tray of liver from supermarket (approx 500 gm)

3 eggs

1 tin sardines in oil (drained)

1 - 2 teaspoons Italian herbs

1 tablespoon dried parsley

1 teaspoon crushed garlic

2 Cups Wholemeal Self Raising Flour

¾ cup grated cheese (I normally use Parmesan)

Blend liver and sardines in food processor. Transfer the liver and sardine mix to a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.

Spray lamington tin with cooking spray add contents of vomit mix and bake in oven 200 degrees for about 20 mins. Remove from oven and lamington tin and cut it up into little squares and then bake it again for about ten minutes - it dries it out a bit more and makes each piece less likely to fall apart in treat bags or pockets etc. Freeze in bags big enough for one show or training activity.

Wheat Free Tuna Treats

1 can tuna (approx 225g)

1/2 cup chopped parsley

3 eggs, shells included

1/2 cup sesame seeds ground up

1/2 cup flax seeds ground up

2-3 cups potato flour

Put these ingredients into a food processer, mix VERY WELL. Pour potato flour through the opening while the motor is running. I can't tell you exactly how much, but I would guess about 2-3 cups. When the dough forms, like a pie curst, and rolls into a ball it is ready to take out.

Dump this mess onto potato floured counter or board. Knead more flour into this and when it is a rolled out cookie consistancy, it is ready to roll out until it is abour 5mm thick. Cut into samll squares or the shapes you would like. Bake on cookie sheets lined with baking paper. I put in as many as will fit. Usually two whole cookie sheets suffices. Bake at 190º oven for 20 min. Turn and rotate the cookie sheets and bake about 10 more minutes. You can make them as soft or as hard as you want.

Low Fat Carrot and Cinnamon Cookies

- Preheat oven to 180 C

4 cups whole wheat flour

1/2 cup cornmeal

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 cup chopped carrot

1/2 cup water

2 tbsp additional water

2 tbsp honey

1 large egg

1 tsp vanilla

In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal and cinnamon. In a food processor, combine carrot, water, oil, honey, egg and vanilla. Puree until smooth. Pour over dry ingredients and stir until well incorporated. Knead until dough holds together. Transfer to lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to about 3 mm thickness.

With a fork, poke holes all over the surface of the dough. Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut dough into bite-size rectangles or squares. Place about 1 cm apart on baking sheets.

Bake in preheated oven, in batches if necessary, for 20 minutes or until firm. Place pans on racks and let cool completely. Reduce oven temperature to 150 C. Bake for 30 minutes longer or until hard. Transfer cookies to a rack and let cool completely. Store in a tightly sealed container.

Note If you are not after a low fat cookie, you can replace the 2 tbsp of additional water with 2 tbsp canola oil.

Edited by Norskgra

A few more.

Garlic Beef Biscuits

2 cups whole wheat flour

1 cup cornmeal

1/4cup wheat germ

2 teaspoon beef stock powder

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 cup grated cheese

1 large egg

1 tbsp canola oli

1 cup hot water

Mix the dry indregients in a medium bowl. Add remaining ingredients and stir well.. Roll out on a well-floured surface to desired thickness and cut into small squares. Place on ungreased cooking sheet. Bake on center rack, (140 C) until dry and very hard. Let stand overnight to dry thoroughly.

Doggy Meatballs

250g Mince beef

1/2 c. whole wheat bread crumbs

1 carrot, finely grated

1 egg, beaten

1 tbsp grated cheese

1 tsp. tomato paste

1 tsp. garlic powder

Preheat oven to 180. Combine all ingredients, mix well. Roll into meat balls. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake 15 minutes or until brown and firm. Cool and store in refrigerator in airtight container or freeze.

Microwave Dog Biscuits

2 cups whole wheat flour

1/2 cup beef or chicken broth

1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 cup grated cheese

1 egg

Mix dry ingredients and cheese together. Add egg and enough broth to moisten. Roll dough into a ball on a floured suface. Roll dough out and cut into desired shapes. Place on a microwave-safe baking dish in a single layer. Bake on HIGH in microwave for 10 minutes or until firm. Let biscuits cool and harden.

Edited by Norskgra

You are welcome. I have a lot of them but I thought they would do.

My dogs favourites are the Liver Bread and the Low Fat ones. The low fat ones keep for a long time in an air tight container. I have just remembered that I had better make some more Liver Bread as I only have 2 bags left of it. When I made the tuna ones, all the dogs around me at a show loved them as well.

Some more.

Liver Snacks

½ cup warm water

1/2 cup powdered dry milk

250g liver, chopped

½ cup wheat germ

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 cup corn meal

1 cup whole wheat flour

Liquefy liver and water in food processor. Pour into a mixing bowl and add all the other ingredients. Mix well and pour onto greased cookie sheet. Spread evenly. Bake at 180 for 30 minutes. Cut quickly into squares while hot (or use cookie cutter) . Store in freezer. You can substitute ½ cup peanut butter instead of the liver and garlic.

No-Flea Dog Biscuits

2 cups wholemeal flour

1/2 cup wheat germ

1/2 cup brewers yeast

2 teaspoons minced garlic

3 tbs. vegetable oil

1 cup chicken stock

Preheat the oven to 200, and oil two or three baking sheets. Combine first three ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, combine garlic and oil. Slowly stir flour mixture and stock alternately into oil and garlic, beating well, until the dough is well-mixed. Shape dough into a ball. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough and cut into desired shapes. Transfer biscuits to prepared baking sheets. Bake 20-25 minutes or until well-browned. Turn off heat and allow biscuits to dry in oven for several hours. Store in refrigerator or freeze.

Peanut Butter Biscuits

1 cup flour

1/2 cup milk

2 Tbs peanut butter

¼ cup grated parmesan cheese

1 tsp baking powder

1 egg white

1 Tbs chicken broth

Mix flour and milk until lumpy. Add peanut butter and broth. Mix parmesan cheese with first 4 ingredients. Add egg white. Mix well or until it has the consistency of pancake batter. Add baking powder. Pour onto greased cookie sheet, making 2.5cm drops. Bake at 200 for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Cool.

Edited by Norskgra