Positive Dog Training

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i only know two clubs that insist on use of food and i agree i think you need to have balance however many clubs are still very traditional they will say we accept all methods then go straight to correction when a problem arises

and many are still in the throes of correction only its the hardest thing for a newbie to find a club that understands and allows the andler to make some of the decisions for thei dog and them

so what the OP wants to ask is were to find a well rounded club that teaches agility

Edited by wheres my rock

JulesP- I'll have a go but she is very reluctent coz we've already joined this place and may not be able to get the money back. Also, the place where we are is only 15 mins away.

wheres my rock- spot on!

haven- you go to heidelberg, is that warringal dog obedience?

InspectorRex- Surrey Hills is very close to me so probably about the same.

While im at it, does anyone use martingale collars? are they better then chokers ane are they good? i though if i have to go back there (i have seen some people there with those martingale collars instead of chokers) i might try one of those or just a flat collar.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all the help! :)

A. & A.

I hope this doesn't seem like I am trying to push you here tadpole! Just trying to give you the info! Croydon costs about $50 for the year.

I am struggling a bit with Croydon to be honest as the basic obedience seems very geared towards the pet dog owner. There are things I don't want to teach my dog to do but it is like they have decided that dogs should do certain things and you have to do those things to get through basic 1 & 2. i.e. have to teach a trick to pass. I just want to get into the trialling class!

Hi t(AD)pole,

Yes there is a lot of pet stuff at Croydon - since they are the biggest part of the membership BUT your 'trick' can be a retrieve, speak on command etc ie an 'obedience' trick :) & there is nothing stopping you from training your dog to YOUR standards - & you can organise to be assessed so you don't have to go through all of Basic.

I train at Croydon, sometimes train at Sherbrooke and do agility at K9Agility at KCC park on Thursday nights - all good positive clubs. Whatever club you go to - be prepared to explain (nicely!) to an instructor if you have a problem with something that goes against your beliefs. And remember, even in a 'positive' club there will be variation amongst instructors. Good luck!

Dot

I hope this doesn't seem like I am trying to push you here tadpole! Just trying to give you the info! Croydon costs about $50 for the year.

I am struggling a bit with Croydon to be honest as the basic obedience seems very geared towards the pet dog owner. There are things I don't want to teach my dog to do but it is like they have decided that dogs should do certain things and you have to do those things to get through basic 1 & 2. i.e. have to teach a trick to pass. I just want to get into the trialling class!

Hi t(ad)pole,

I live in box hill too!! I have been having trouble finding clubs near by. I had a look at one that was close and they used harsh methods so it may be the same place you went to.

Altona is great but it is a long drive. I joined croydon for a while but i had to start in the basic classes even though i had titles on my dogs. Drove me mad. And there is a waiting list for agility.

If only Altona was nearby, we would be set.

Good luck in your search, i am still looking too!

Kate.

Hi jesomil! :rainbowbridge:

I went to D.O.G.S of Vic which is located at westerfolds park for a basic obedience course. They use check chains and i wasn't too happy about that but they did make sure everyone was using them correctly. I finished that course and wanted to do agility.

I am now at Central City Canine Club located in glen iris. It only takes 15mins to get there. Some people there use check chains but a lot use martingales. I'm using a martingale on my dog. Most of the instructers are nice and don't use completely harsh methods but one guy said all that stuff (that i talked about at the start of my post) to me which freaked me out.(he was the guy that said to shake the crap out of the dog) I'm doing basic obedience and I get to do some agility.

I think it is as good as im going to get in my search for a good training club thats close by, plus my mum likes it coz its close so i don't really get much of a choice.

Where did you go? if you dont mind me asking.

might see you round! :cry:

A. & A.

Edited by t(AD)pole

Hey Tad,

Don't forget that no one can make you do anything with/to your dog that you don't want to do. It is up to us as the owners to work out what we think is best for our dogs. It then takes a bit of strength to stand up to some instructors. This is a good thing to learn. So don't worry about the instructor that upset you.

Goodluck!

Thanks everyone!

All the clubs you guys have suggested are too far :thumbsup: and the one I joined is the nearest club that does agility to me. Im in Box Hill but I don't mind going half an hour or so away if I have to.

I'm thinking I might go back and just train the way I want to with positive reinforcement if I can't find anywhere else.

A. & A.

How about Croydon Obedience Dog club - positive methods and a really good agility set up. Only about 20 mins away from you. PM me if you want more info :rofl:.... Bit further out but there is a really good agility club in Doveton - Action dogs - I live in Croydon and it takes me about 40 mins. From Forest hill it took around the same time just to give you an idea.

Cheers ;)

Croydon is positive. :thumbsup: Bob and I love it. They do use food, but I have a feeling that they stopped the target sticks recently. :rofl:

Yes and no - there was feedback from 'clients' who said that they didn't see the point of it (this was in large numbers) so now people can have the elective to do it as part of their 'tricks'..... the bestest thing I ever taught my dog ;)

I highly recommend croydon :p

Jules - if that is what you want to do - can u talk to your instructor about it??? Are you a first time trialler? How about explaining to the instructor that you are heading toward trialling and see what suggestions they have for you? I guess we have to look at it and say that 90% of dog owners simply do want a good, well behaved pet, so clubs need to tailor for that. Also - don't underestimate the value of teaching tricks and stuff. Eg: Matwork can help you with SFE's (being touched everywhere) and sending your dog to the box in UD (ie: sending from a distance!). For tricks - how about teaching 'speak' which is used for UD, touch - which is great for precision heeling, or just a fun trick that will 'pep your dog up' in the ring - just ask crashtestdummy about how she does this with Moses!

come down to the trial ring one sunday and have a chat to us!

Hi leopuppy04, I trialled with my last border at Croydon and did the Advanced/demo class with the one before that. Got in trouble again about the tricks! Even someone else in the class said that they wished the instructor would leave me alone about it. I had taught pup to touch though and he rolls over on his back to have cream applied to his itches so they were my tricks!

Also got in trouble for using a clicker! My puppy teacher had said we could use them but this instructor seemed to think they weren't allowed in class.

Hi leopuppy04, I trialled with my last border at Croydon and did the Advanced/demo class with the one before that. Got in trouble again about the tricks! Even someone else in the class said that they wished the instructor would leave me alone about it. I had taught pup to touch though and he rolls over on his back to have cream applied to his itches so they were my tricks!

Also got in trouble for using a clicker! My puppy teacher had said we could use them but this instructor seemed to think they weren't allowed in class.

What a shame about your instructor. Most are fine with 'old triallers' doing what they wish in class.... or so i've heard. I know when I had my current dog thru basic 1&2 there were people only doing 15mins and then leaving... I am planning on doing the same with my next dog. Got in trouble for using a clicker?!?!?!? Bugger - I use mine all the time and have never been told otherwise.... most instructors have actually asked me how i've found it, and i've always given the affirmitive. Just think - soon you'll be outta the class :laugh: