Herding With A Rotti And A Gsd

Hey all

I hear that someone in Tasmania who owns a GSD and a Rotti tried her hand at herding today!!

We need to get her to answer some questions about how they went and why she kept it such a big secret!!

Where are you SheK????

I'm here :eek:

I had a great time today, I sucked at it, but it was still heaps of fun!

Both the dogs showed a lot of interest so that was great. I was very shocked with Daegon because he is normally such a docile, lazy, scardey cat...but he saw the sheep and lit up like I have NEVER seen him before. He's a very high drive dog when it suits him that's for sure. I need to learn how to switch that drive on for the show ring :o

It was great to see the other (well behaved :eek:) dogs working, and to see the way different breeds went about the job, very educational.

Can't wait for next time, and I will be practising those stops coz boy do you need them! :D

I was told my boys are the first of their breed in the state to have a go at herding, so they better do a good job :banghead:

Oh yes, it's so much more exciting than obedience :D

Thanks wylie for putting me in touch with the lovely lady who kindly took me today :eek:

Both dogs need to show a little LESS interest, especially Daegon. Muzzles for them both :o

*chuckles* Yeah...my Bronx showed a lot of interest as well (no sheep were damaged in the making of that experiance - B was in the hands of a professional...lol)...between that and the cost i gave up easy :eek:

Glad to hear you are giving it go with the boys Shek :D :o Hope they go forward with it in leaps and bounds :eek::banghead:

Yes, I know it's what I want, but it makes it very difficult to get the dog to pay attention to anything but those sheep...but that will come.

I was VERY pleasantly surprised at seeing Daegon has so much drive, he hasn't really shown any until seeing sheep, it was like a big light bulb went on inside, he became a totally different dog :eek:

Hi all Rotti owners

As you are all probably aware that Rottis are not on the list of approved herding breeds as yet. But what is hoped is that with some push and some interest from a few of you they will also be able to participate in herding as well.

This is the exact same scenario that happened with Samoyeds. The lovely woman who took Shek trained and titled a Samoyed before they were on the herding register. She has had to wait until they were accepted then re test her for the level she had already gained. That neat little Samoyed "Cindy" now has her PT title.

So all you Rotti owners start standing up and being counted and ask your breed clubs to get involved in their formal acceptance on to the herding register.

They can herd and are very successful overseas in herding. I'd love to see some of them here in Australia having a good time too

Cheers

Edited by wylie

Yes guys - definitely do this. I'm of the understanding the the NRC[A] is already trying to organise submissions to have Rottys included on the list, but their involvement is determined by what the individual clubs want to do, which in turn is driven by member demand.

Hi all Rotti owners

As you are all probably aware that Rottis are not on the list of approved herding breeds as yet. But what is hoped is that with some push and some interest from a few of you they will also be able to participate in herding as well.

This is the exact same scenario that happened with Samoyeds. The lovely woman who took Shek trained and titled a Samoyed before they were on the herding register. She has had to wait until they were accepted then re test her for the level she had already gained. That neat little Samoyed "Cindy" now has her PT title.

So all you Rotti owners start standing up and being counted and ask your breed clubs to get involved in their formal acceptance on to the herding register.

They can herd and are very successful overseas in herding. I'd love to see some of them here in Australia having a good time too

Cheers

Theres a few Boxers in the US with HIC titles. Here's one kennel which has some...

SemperFi Boxers

It's my dream to train n trial my Boxer.

-WithEverythingIAm

Way to go, Shek!! :laugh:

Jack the boofer and I are going herding again this weekend :D We're pretty hopeless, but we have fun. And no sheepies get hurt, just me when the sheep run through my legs :laugh::)

It's a blast, isn't it? I'd love to get more involved in it, but time and expense don't permit it for now. I think I'll have to get a working pup for my next dog and start from scratch :D

While i was in Sydney in June Judging i was speaking to a Rotti Person who was also wanting to get into herding I advised her to talk with other rotti people from around the country.

Get a decent number of people prepared to push in each state and collect as much information about Rottis herding overseas and any background on the breed and submit as per the Samoyds did.

If any breed can put a good enough case together no reason why it can't be excepted into the herding Program, but some work is needed to be done.

Tracey

I did a bit of herding with my old girl Rotty a few years back.

We work the kelpies so i thought i might give her a few go's.

She showed lots of chase ability but no real herding like the kelpies.

In the end she could move stock but only because i taught her left and right and stop. She did everything on command, no natural instinct.

Just getting back to this topic ...

After our weekend's herding, I don't want Jack playing chasies with the sheep any more. It was so hot on Saturday and the poor sheep were run ragged by my dog :D His time was cut short on Sunday, to give the sheep a break, and that's when I realised I have lots of work to do.

I want to teach my dog the stop, walk up and out (sides will come later, I hope) before he goes on sheep again. So I am after any hints on training "dry", away from the fleecies.

Is a long line in the park the way to go? Can I use my clicker? :rofl: Jack consistently works well for a click and reward.

At the moment, he thinks "stop" means sit at heel :) He's a challenge. And very speshal :cry:

Mooper, didnt have my camera but on Sunday after an absence of a month Panda decided he wanted to chase, he managed to get the sheep up against the fence and one lost its balance and fell on top of him :) hopefully it knocked some sense in to the silly bugger, they are Damara.

We then moved into the next size ring and he worked a dream :D