Water Bowl Ideas

elmo_em ♀

Im wondering if anyone has any ideas about making/keeping water available during the day for Elmo. (He has an outside enclosed pen that he stays in during the day while Im at work) Lately Ive been getting home and both his water bowls are tipped over and empty. Ive tried bigger heavier bowls but he tips them too.

I don't know if hes tipping them over accidentaly or by playing with them (hes recently become pretty fond of water, he has a small paddling pool hes been playing in in the back yard?) Im worried hes going to get sick from everheating especially when the weather really warms up.

Any ideas would be great.

stainless steel bucket and wire it to the fence so it cant be tipped over, or an industrial plastic bucket also tied upright to the fence. You dont want something too deep and narrow because if he falls in head first he could drown.

I have heard that the stainless steel bowls that have hollwed bottoms can be filled with cement to make them heavy and unable to be tipped over

This type

And you can get bags of quick set cement cheap at the hardware store, just tip the bowl upside down and fill it with cement

post-8373-1160535194_thumb.jpg

Our water bowl is connected to a tap so it fills itself. Great for dogs that like to paddle in their water.

Until you have a puppy that works out how to take the lid off the "works" section and chew the float. :D

My solution involved building a low brick wall around his water bucket. He can stand over it to drink, but he cant place his paws in it to tip it, and cant bite the edge of the bucket to grab it as the bricks are the same height as the bucket.

Our water bowl is connected to a tap so it fills itself. Great for dogs that like to paddle in their water.

Until you have a puppy that works out how to take the lid off the "works" section and chew the float.

lol yep and bad for ones like mine who decide to chew the pipe to the tap to create a fountain in the run!

My solution involved building a low brick wall around his water bucket. He can stand over it to drink, but he cant place his paws in it to tip it, and cant bite the edge of the bucket to grab it as the bricks are the same height as the bucket.

I like this idea Caspian Ive got heaps of bricks too so will see if maybe a combination of all of the above might work. I should hang from the fence and surround in bricks and then concrete in. A regular back yard wishing well. I like it. Maybe if I put up a sign people can throw pennies in too hehe

what about putting a clam shell full of water in the pen too for him to play in ,then he may leave his drinking water alone?

We just put a shell full of water out the back for Diesel to drink out of :D :confused::laugh:

Not because he was knocking his water bowl over, but rather that he was drinking out of our fish pond instead & freaking out the fish! :D :) ;)

if you can find an old concrete laundry tub they are brilliant keep the water cool and the chance of him knocking it over are remote.

Or if you cant find one an old bathtub depending on how big the run is or a shell pool put in the corner of his run and wired to 2 sides of his run should in theory stop his from tipping it over and if he is only playing its gives him plenty of water to play in

I have 6 shell pools around my yard and they only last about 1/2 day but then there are 4 large hairy gremlins that love water

I think elmos area is big enough to have his pool as well as a few buckets. Hes gonna have so much water he won't know what to do with it all... im sure it won't take him long to figure out though haha ;) Im gonna get tonnes of pics on the weekend :rofl:

Time for an update!