Fat Greyhound Poll

imy

Are we too fat???  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think these two are too fat for greyhounds?

• YES! Are you sure that a greyhound and not a lab???
    • Nah, they're just big boned.

Another party pooper here!

They are greyhounds, they are not built to carry excess weight and even though some people don't like the skinny look, that is the way they are (ideally).

Your dogs are gorgeous Imy, but they are fat :cool:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you own sighthound you always get people crying "feed the poor starving dog"

Sighthounds are athletes, and they are naturally built for speed. They are not meant to look like Labs.

The photos in the OP show Overweight greys, I would hate to see them put on any more weight. Find their waists again.

But they look to be in great health and obviously well loved.

I know about porky dogs because Jack was one :cool:

But we stopped using treats for training in the mornings and used his Science Diet kibble, then adjusted his brekkie amount accordingly.

For dinner, we had been making BARF and that was great. A box of free chicken carcasses did it for him. He piled the weight on. So we went back to lots of pulped fruit and veges with his raw meaty bones and used a fair bit of grated carrot or steamed mashed pumpkin to bulk it out a bit.

We also switched to the "Lite" Science Diet when the bag we had finished.

He now has a lovely waist, has much more energy and is much less tired after a big offlead run or a weekend of herding :)

HTH

Imy, sad to say your dogs do need to lose some weight. :)

I had Lilly and Ruby at the vet yesterday for their annuals. He reckons Lilly should gain some weight but I think she's OK. She has dropped a little condition in the past couple of weeks due to the unusually hot weather. Ruby, OTOH, is FAT and needs to lose weight but my husband feeds the dogs and doesn't always follow the rules for portion sizes. :cool: She is developing knee problems and has sore joints b/c she's overweight...hopefully now the OH will follow the rules when it comes to her dinner!

With greyhounds, you should be able to see the last three ribs. If you can't - they're carrying too much weight. I know other people say that's too skinny but that's how they're built and they're like that for a reason. :rofl:

I think a bit of chub is okay for a pet, I'm not to much a fan of the boney, muscley look (have you met my OH??? :laugh: like I can talk!)... I'm just having trouble deciding if they are TOO chubby.

Verrrry chubby imy..

Radar was... 33kgs? Same as Prince, who's now at my place - he's just finished racing and you can see the bits (ribs etc) that you should be able to see on a greyhound. Prince is not skinny, he looks great.

If Radar's now 40... that's waaaay over what he should be...

I voted "they're just big boned" 'cause I didn't want to hurt your boys' feelings. :laugh: Seriously, Imy, the alternative practitioner we see from time to time "the greyhound man" has told me off before because Maggie was a couple of kilos overweight. She went to him with a thigh injury and he said it was no wonder. An overweight greyhound is much more prone to muscle injury and to grief later in life from serious arthritis, etc. Maggie is once again about 1.5 kilos overweight :rofl: and is currently on a diet (my vet thinks she looks fine, but I've told him she's definitely got too much weight on). As Maggie gets older, her metabolism seems to be slowing down. Radar needs to get some nice tuck going...healthier for him, get rid of all that fat build-up around his internal organs.

Hey Imy not meaning to hijack the thread, this is a fat greyhound, LOL, this was 3 weeks before he died at 16, :laugh::rofl::rofl: my magnificent man.......Not full greyhound though.

That was 6 months ago and I still cry each day, I miss him so much....

16 is a fine old age for a grey or greyX! My condolences for the loss of your lovely and very handsome boy. Although I've just advised Imy that her Radar could do with losing a bit of weight, I would have given anything for my old girl (13) to have been able to put on weight like your boy. It's been a constant battle with Girlie, for the nearly 4 years we have had the joy of her company, to keep weight and condition on her. Skinny old bird, she is :mad .

Sorry to say, i voted fat.

Not obese, just a bit too solid perhaps.

I love the lean healthy look. Too many pets these days are carrying a bit too much weight and therefore people are used to seeing the "solid" look and recognise that as normal.

People need to recognise the lean look as healthy not the other way around. Greyhounds seem to be one breed that people think look thin if they are at the correct weight. They are boney dogs, that is how they are built. They dont have the roundness of some other breeds.

Its very easy to keep pets at a good weight. We control everything that goes into their mouths.

The problems fat dogs get as they get older is just not worth it.

Not that your dogs look hugely fat, just a bit perhaps :thumbsup: .

Edited by jesomil

I've also met these dogs and they're overweight...not just plump but overweight.

You can't see ribs or waist and both should be evident. It's hard to see what we mean in the pics but that's what I saw when I met the doggies. They just need less food and more exercise (as I do! :laugh: ).

I've also met these dogs and they're overweight...not just plump but overweight.

You can't see ribs or waist and both should be evident. It's hard to see what we mean in the pics but that's what I saw when I met the doggies. They just need less food and more exercise (as I do! :laugh: ).

in that case its time to get a treadmill for them!!!

I don't think they are very overweight... I have seen some greyhounds and think "geez, thats not 'fitness' thin-ness (racers), thats a skinny pet" Pets don't do anywhere NEAR the amount of exercise as the racers do and to keep them as thin on the muscle as racers isn't doing them any favours. (I.M.O.)

I would say my guys are more plump than fat... admittedly, the ACT pet greyhounds I have seen are MUCH skinnier than the vic ones I've seen.

I took some pics today, I dunno if you can see, but look at how well they are doing on their little diet!

post-7113-1161674860_thumb.jpg

Lilly is a touch under 25 kgs - she raced at that! So, she has less muscle mass than when racing but weighs virtually the same. Therefore, she's a great weight...not too lean, nor too thickset. Her final three ribs are visible, she has a very distinct waist, and her hip pin bones are only just evident...PERFECT! :)

Imy - I know how much you love Ginks and Radar - please get them walking some more! Up and down hills is great exercise for them. :laugh: And no matter how much their eyes plead with you, stop giving them treats and reduce their meal sizes. Go on - you can do it! Be strong for them. :D

I'm sorry Lillysmum,

I think Lilly is very underweight.

Does she have thyroid probs? I was looking at photos of greys last night and she was one which stood out as too thin. Also bart but he is a goofy teen and probably has higher energy levels.

I also consulted racing books and their description was for dogs to have 'slight definition of one or two vertebrae and the final one or two ribs... coat should have lustre and gums showing dark pink to red... stool should have the consistancy of gingerbread dough and be evacuated easily 2 times a day, evening and morning... changes to stool showing too white or too black means either the dog is digesting too many bones or too much vitamin A in the form of liver'

My boys have all of the signs of greyhounds in good health, whilst I don't mind them dropping a few pounds on this diet and getting ready for summer, there is NO way I will be going back to racing weight or under it.

I've also had a talk to racing people and vets about their weight and while they agree that you wouldn't want any more weight on my boys ( I am fully aware that they are well covered and understand that they shouldn't get fatter), they look healthy and as retired racers should.

Having said this, my boys wil remain on their reduced diet until I am happy with their one or two rib definition and couple of vertebrae.

Here is an example of what a full grown greyhound may eat over the period of a day according to my vetinary search:

1.5-1.8lb fresh meat (no more than 25% fat)

5-8oz kibble with a fat content of no more than 15%

Rice and grains to the equivilant of kibble, reducing amount should the animal show they require less energy content

They also say that the effect of vegetables in a greyhounds diet are nominal though some trainers still prefer to feed both root and green vegetables.

Oil additives are also sometimes required but daily dosing of such should be extremely monitored.

My boys will lose a little but won't be going extreme.

Edited by imy