Fat Greyhound Poll

imy

Are we too fat???  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think these two are too fat for greyhounds?

• YES! Are you sure that a greyhound and not a lab???
    • Nah, they're just big boned.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think a bit of chub is okay for a pet, I'm not to much a fan of the boney, muscley look (have you met my OH??? :cool: like I can talk!)... I'm just having trouble deciding if they are TOO chubby.

Can you feel their ribs with light pressure?

Do they have a good waist when viewed from above?

Sorry its hard to tell from side on pics - my dog looks ok from the side, but looks like a fatty when viewed from above :cool:

No, thet don't need a "diet".

I'm always a bit put out by the thinness of many greys I see - too thin.

We have a greyhound trainer over the road from us (although I don't know the guy there now as the one I knew sold the property a while ago) . I think that greys in training are thin - but they also have a lot more muscle because of the work they do.

Just look at athletes who "retire" - they do put on weight, but have less muscle.

I think the lighter coloured dog you show is OK, but can't see too well when it comes to the darker one.

IMY - maybe your OH would like to take on the responsibilty of being their "personal trainer" and do some "training" with them?

Alternatively, perhaps you could just cut back the amount of food they get - say by 10% - for a few weeks and see what results that gives?

:cool:

I'm thinking I'll just swap to 'lite' dog food to keep them at a steady weight noisy. I don't mind non-toned, pet greyhounds looking a bit chubby and happy... hell, I'm the same way, not unhealthy but too chubby if you looked at my BMI :)

These guys will NEVER look like a grey in training because they don't do anything! If I tried to make them look that way, they'd be starving. They just don't have the muscle tone.

OH says they are good, I'm the one worried about their weight! :cool:

I'm going to be the party pooper here.... To me, with the greyhounds I have met, I would say that they look like they are carrying a bit too much weight as they don't look to have a waist. I know a lot of people don't like the thin greyhound look but realistically that is their body shape and the shape they should have to be healthy - Imy's dogs, lovely as they are, don't have a waist when looked at from above. They're not obese, but they are overweight for their breed.

In saying that, as I mentioned in the other thread, so are my little dogs at the moment and I'm working to reduce their weights.

From the front view they look absolutely fabulous daaahling.

But from the top view, maybe the should have a slimmer waist.

Though as you say, they run it off a bit in the summer. Most long dogs, whippets, afghans, greys etc, have very narrow and deep chest cavity, so you really wouldn't want them storing too much fat around heart and lung area.

They look very shiny and nice condition too!

You are not the only party pooper Trish.

Imy your dogs are FAT.

A greyhound's frame is NOT designed to carry a lot of excess weight. Their joints can't take it and it is also very bad for balance.

If you do not get the weight down, your dogs will get arthritis, and then you will be posting in this forum, asking us all about where to buy sasha's blend, and asking us how much our vet charges for cartrophen injections.

Or

Your dog will take the corner too fast, it will slide out on your tiled floor and smash its shoulder to pieces, and the vet will advise euthanasia, even though you have a spare $5000 sitting in the bank to pay for an op, because no vet is willing to go ahead with the op.

Is that what you want? No? Then stop worrying about how your dogs look, or worrying about whether other people think greyhounds look better skinny or fat, and get your dogs on a diet now.

:cool:

Hey Imy not meaning to hijack the thread, this is a fat greyhound, LOL, this was 3 weeks before he died at 16, :cool: :):rofl: my magnificent man.......Not full greyhound though.

That was 6 months ago and I still cry each day, I miss him so much....

Edited by eclecticgirl