Fat Greyhound Poll

imy

Are we too fat???  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think these two are too fat for greyhounds?

• YES! Are you sure that a greyhound and not a lab???
    • Nah, they're just big boned.

Imy, if you don't think your dogs are overweight and don't want them to be the correct lean build that others are suggesting, why did you bother asking here? It seems like you have asked, disagreed and argued with everyone about the condition of your dogs. Ultimately, they're your dogs and their weight is in your control.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Greyhounds are meant to be thin! It is their natural shape. Just look at the depth of chest and the narrowness of it. They are areodynamically designed :laugh: Piper is nearly 38 kg and still needs to put on another kilo or two to look his best. There is nothing worse than a chubby dog of any breed. I can't understand the people who say they don't like the skinnyness of greyhounds. Greyhounds are lean! Sighthounds are lean. Racing greyhounds are not kept lean by not feeding them, they are exercised and kept fit, much as a thoroughbred in full training. Most pet greyhounds kept at their racing weight look fantastic. Muscle weighs more than fat remember so if a dog in retirement weighs their racing weight they will be fatter naturally.

No animal should have ribs that, when you lay your fingers into the indentations, they are flush with the height of the ribs. NONE

I'm not disagreeing with peoples' opninions about my boys, my animals ARE on a diet to lose weight. I'm simply arguing that there are differing opinions to refer to, rather than ONLY ones stated here. I am backing up my arguments with data and experience by trained and knowledgeable people, rather than by using only anocdotal and limited experience of my own. I am RESEARCHING a problem and offering the result of my research for others.

If you'd rather not hear facts and experience of the opposite nature to your own opinion, perhaps you'd best not look in contrvertial threads?

I'm not disagreeing with peoples' opninions about my boys, my animals ARE on a diet to lose weight. I'm simply arguing that there are differing opinions to refer to, rather than ONLY ones stated here. I am backing up my arguments with data and experience by trained and knowledgeable people, rather than by using only anocdotal and limited experience of my own. I am RESEARCHING a problem and offering the result of my research for others.

I wonder if you would be doing all this extra research about what other trained and knowledgeable people have to say if the ones who offered their opinions here had said your dogs were of correct weight.

The offerings of the results of your research, funnily enough, only support your opinion of what condition a greyhound should be in.

To me, your whole tone insults the experienced greyhound people on DOL who are trying to help you but its not my place to speak for them, thats just my opinion. The people who have posted here are 'ONLY' some of the most experienced people with retired greyhounds in this country!

Books and trained people get it wrong on occasion too because they can be too far removed from the real life stuff - yesterday I saw a poster at the vets promoting ideal weights for dogs and for GSDs it said 32-40kg. I was there with 2 of my bitches, both healthy and lean, one at 24kgs and the bigger at 31kgs. I've even had a vet test the 31kg bitch for a condition where they cannot digest fat properly, as to the vet she was "Sooooo lean and streamlined" whereas anyone experienced in GSDs would support me saying shes a good weight.

How is this insulting? I am not discrediting experienced people here.

I didn't have to research - the vet did the test anyway as I was not present at the consult and it came back negative. Besides, I didn't say everyone - the people who I respect and considered experienced enough to know was enough for me.

Imy you also have to realise that greyhounds themselves often look vastly different. My Sam, retired racer, looked best at his racing weight of 32 kilos. He had a thyroid condition which was treated. He only showed the last couple of ribs, 2-3 verterbrae and his hip pins protruded something shocking :laugh: Piper shows all his ribs pretty much all the time, yes I can fit my finger in the indentation between the back ribs sometimes when he lays down, not when he stands up, shows 3-4 verterbrae always and never has protuding hip pins. I think Piper needs another kilo on him but that's all and his ribs will still show. Molly was in between the two boys. Some greyhounds have flatter, wider backs than others too.

:laugh: Is this about the fact that I like to research to back up theories?

Edited to add:

I don't understand why everyone is getting their backs up so high... didn't I agree that Radar needs to remain on a diet... Gingko has lost some flab so I can see his 3 last ribs and vertebrae... what does everyone want?

Edited by imy

Well, Im not a Greyhound expert AT ALL, but I have fostered them, and have friends with two from GAP that I babysit for a weekend a month, and my Father in Law has two IMMACULATELY kept racers.

Based on that knowledge and also being only weeeeeeks away from vet school grad, My opinion is.............

(DRUM ROLL)

THEY ARE LOVELY! LOL

They are a little plump, but I wouldnt have said they are FAT!!! They to me are typical of what happens to dogs in nice adoptive homes with good food and a fantastic spoilt lifestyle post being a racing dog.

Imy for what my opinion is worth, YOU know yourself that they cant get any bigger, so just trust your judgement (i think your right anyway) and just monitor them and ensure no more weight gain. They are not dangerously obese, or even fat in my opinion. They are just loved!

Wow, you should see some of my little fatties!

If your all so narky with Imy about her greys, you lot would burn me at the stake!!! EEEEK!

Kyla and her fatties

Ha,ha... thanks.

I don't want to burn anyone at the stake :thumbsup: and I'm sure no one wants to burn anyone else :laugh: --> again

I think its one of those things where opinions get heated (we all love our own opinions after all). Everyone here dearly love dogs, obviously, and want the best for others they see.

Radar has a way to go, I was looking at him tonight, but he'll be right :(

They are spoilt rotten, I'll admit it. They get the best of things that I can provide for them. I can't help but think they deserve it after having a non-spoilt start to life... however, I do need to do what is best for them, hence this thread. I don't want it to get out of hand.

I am always amazed at how heated a seemingly harmless thread can get...I guess it must be the apparent "tone" that is missing on here.

That said, I mistakenly voted "lab" (howling with laughter I was trigger happy). I think they are fine but maybe a little more definition on the ribs? not that I am an expert!!! They look a touch chubbier than my Tielle and I figure 1 or 2 ribs with a bit of defintion and a more or less waist is OK. Generally, dogs do better in the long-term on the leaner side (I'm no expert but I have seen that quoted lots, same for hoomans) so I am sure you are doing the right thing.

They look well and happy - gorgeous coat - must be a sign of good helath and a loving contented home. Well done. BTW - you're not feeding them that foolproof quiche are you? (haha)