Super Premium Food With Joint Support

ish

I'm interested in learning which brands of super premium dry food contain extras for joint support. I know alot of the large breed older dog ones (such as Advance Senior) do - I'm particually interested in any marketed more at active dogs or any personal experiences feeding a not so senior dog on the senior foods for the joint support. Anyone use the Hills prescription diet for joints?

Alternatively, is it better to feed a good quality suitable dry plus suppliements (sashas blend, joint guard etc) or go for a super premium which contains joint support already?

I feed my Elkhounds and Afghan on Nutro. All of the range of Nutro dry contain Glucosamine and Chondroitin. They have one for High Energy dogs as well as several other varieties. My dogs love it and have never been in better condition. They don't lose as much coat either and it is guaranteed to inmprove their skin and coat.

Guest Piximatosis

Kaeleigh is on Nutro Lamb & Rice Large Breed, with Sasha's Blend and lots of RMBs.... and as you know she's going really well. :D

I asked my vet this same question, he said that there is not enough of the glucosamine and chondroitin in any of the foods to really make a difference, so he recommends keeping dogs on the food that they are doing well on (mine were on Eagle Pack but have now switched to Nutro) and then supplementing with a product like Joint Guard or Cosequin etc.

The dog in question is on Advance Energy at the moment and now having actually read the bag, I've discovered it does have joint support already in it - I feel very clever!

We've started her on Sasha's Blend and I think I will look into the availability of Nutro in Ballarat.

I've been researching diets lots Here ya go:

"Most breeders have discovered that feeding a diet that is high in protein usually contributes to the Hip Dysplasia factor and when a growing large breed dog is fed a diet that is lower in protein than some commercial puppy foods their breeding dogs are thus screened with a lower score. We prefer to feed our dogs from the age of three months a commercial kibble adult dog food as this usually has a much lower protein level at 25% than a commercial puppy food that has a protein level of as high as 34%."

(from a large breed forum)

"Your older dog will need a well-balanced diet that is lower in calories, protein, and fat yet higher in fiber. You may be able to continue feeding your dog her regular food, but in a smaller quantity. Or you may need a specially formulated senior diet. Commercially prepared senior diets have a protein of around 18% whereas diets for dogs in renal failure are around 14% protein. If your dog has significantly decreased kidney function, then a diet lower in protein will lower the workload for the kidneys. Lower fat usually translates to lower calories so many senior diets have a fat level of around 10 to 12%. Older dogs are more prone to develop constipation, so senior diets are higher in fiber (around 3 to 5%). You can also add wheat bran to regular dog food to increase fiber intake. Finally, feeding your dog dry food (if she will eat it) will help to control tartar build-up and reduce gum disease. "

(general old dog health site)

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/protein.html

(this site is a REALLY detailed focus on protein)

Hope it helps :thumbsup: (too much time on my hands :D )

Thanks Imy - thats very helpful

She's been on Advance Energy since she was about 12 months old which has 30% protein, before that she was on Supercoat Puppy. Does anyone know the % protein for Supercoat puppy?

Well , considering that when they did tests on human suppliments which have Glucosamine and Chondoritin in them they found that all but one or two didnt have anywhere near the right amounts to be able to make a dent of difference and most were inactive Id say the vet which said there's not enough in the dog foods was closer to the money .Chicken cartlidge has huge amounts in it anyway.