Supercoat Poo Problems...

David See

Hi all,

I have been trying a few different brands of dry food for the dogs to see how they go on each.

So far I found Optimum to be ok, but this week I tried Supercoat.

The dogs have done nothing but poop ever since...the older one does enormous poops where the younger one has the squits and sprays all over the place with loud passing-wind noises and she is a little lethargic. The noises are funny, but obviously something is upsetting her. Perhaps the food?

Has anyone else's dogs had this reaction to the brand?

I use supercoat for my mastiffs. There is a reasonable amount of poo given that they are giants and poo like elephants :laugh:

However my breed is sensitive to any change in their diets and have had upset tummies when I was changing over from another more expensive brand. It only lasted a few days until their systems became used to it.

I have found Supercoat really good since they have adjusted. :laugh:

Hope this is helpful.

Supercoat = Superpoo IMO. :laugh:

Why not try a better quality food? Supercoat and many other supermarket or budget foods are just not very good quality. They contain a higher ratio of fillers, cereals and colours to real foods (such as meat products) than the more expensive, but better quality foods. :laugh:

I could give you a few suggestions - these are all available in the better pet supply shops and/or online: Nutro, Eagle Pack & particularly the Holistic range, Dick van Patten's Natural Balance Organic Formula, even Nutrience is worth trying (my fosters are usually on Nutrience with one raw meal a week).

Some people have great success with cheaper foods, but clearly at least one of your dogs isn't digesting the Supercoat at all, hence the liquid stool and gas problems. For her sake, you need to find something that suits her system. :laugh:

Did you do a straight change over?? Or introduce the food slowly? A new food a week is not good for dogs!

Kaos did great on supercoat, i am trying one more food with her, then if i amnot happy with that, she is going back to SC

At has skin problems, and has been on Nurto for a few weeks now - will always be on that from now on!

I fed my guys on supercoat for the first year of their lives, I couldn't cope with all of the poo and the stinky farts so I swapped to a BARF diet in the end. Less poo that is firmer and smaller and vanishes in a few days.

Still some farts though :laugh: But NOTHING like they were on Supercoat.

This is not the first post I have seen re supercoat and abundance of poo!

have to agree - Supercoat does cause loose poop and a lot of, and I own JRTs, mum also found that it was the same for the puppy pointer too. So now our dogs are on either Eaglepack (when you can get it) or now trying Nutro (after reading the good reviews), much better now :laugh:

ChEeKy AnGeL

David, as others have said, immediately changing foods can cause tummy upsets and SuperCoat has a lot of undigestable rouhhage in it, so does cause copious amounts of poop.

Changing brands of dry dog food should be done gradually and over a period of at least four days (preferably longer). On the first day of change, you should have plenty of the old dog food left. Add three quarters of their old food, and one quarter of the new food. You should do this for at least two days. After two days or so, add in another quarter, so you have half old food, half new food. Again, keep it at this level for another two days or so. Then add in a third quarter (one quarter old, three quarters new), and finally you can phase out the old food completely.

I notice in previous postings that your old dog has started eating it's poop and you are also worried about the health of her coat. This all sounds like a definate diet deficiency. What has the older dog been fed on most of it's life? Was there a reason you changed to Optimum and now SuperCoat? Is the old dog on any athritic supplements or recently been perscribed long-term medication?

:thumbsup:

Can I point out that there need not be a direct relationship between price and quality!? If a company wants to appear to be high quality, then the price point will reflect it - it doesn't necessarily guarantee it!

This discussion is had over and over.

I like supercoat (the lite one), but mix it with a selection of BARF patties or chicken necks - I vary the combination. My dogs are happy, healthy and with great coats. I mix it because I want to keep their teeth white and healthy, so the necks are great for that, and because I like to think the dogs like a bit of variety in texture and flavour, just as I do. :thumbsup:

Just from reading this forum over time, I've seen people have far different results with different kibbles. (For eg, my dogs get the squirts with Optimum - but I realise this doesn't happen with other dogs). And this is fine.

But I see lots of posts where people espouse the merits of so-called "premium brands" based solely on the price and exclusive method of sale. As a marketing teacher, I know how these companies work, and I'm telling you, where you get it and the price you pay doesn't actually automatically reflect what you're buying.

Agree with others.. Changing food brands regularly can cause stomach upsets in individual animals. Others can change without any problems.

Find a food you like and stick to it.

At certain times I have had problems with all the mentioned foods here..And I have used all the foods mentioned here without problems. Depends on the dog.

I have found a dry food that I am reasonably happy with, does not cause me too much problem in the rear end department.. I also feed a variety of raw as well.

we were using SUPERCOAT and yes loads and loads of poo, and farts gallore., we have since tried OPTIMUM and i was sick and tired of NEVER EVER being able to get a large bag/sack of puppy, so we are now on PURINA PRO PLAN, and have had NO problems what so ever.

Can I point out that there need not be a direct relationship between price and quality!? If a company wants to appear to be high quality, then the price point will reflect it - it doesn't necessarily guarantee it!

This discussion is had over and over.

I like supercoat (the lite one), but mix it with a selection of BARF patties or chicken necks - I vary the combination. My dogs are happy, healthy and with great coats. I mix it because I want to keep their teeth white and healthy, so the necks are great for that, and because I like to think the dogs like a bit of variety in texture and flavour, just as I do. :rofl:

Just from reading this forum over time, I've seen people have far different results with different kibbles. (For eg, my dogs get the squirts with Optimum - but I realise this doesn't happen with other dogs). And this is fine.

But I see lots of posts where people espouse the merits of so-called "premium brands" based solely on the price and exclusive method of sale. As a marketing teacher, I know how these companies work, and I'm telling you, where you get it and the price you pay doesn't actually automatically reflect what you're buying.

And how closely have you studied the ingredients lists and how well do you understand them? "Premium brands" are not so solely due to price but to quality of ingredients. "Super premium brands" are better quality again, and again it's due to the quality of ingredients. "Budget brands" are budget priced but they also use cheap ingredients so they can remain "price competitive" in the supermarket and discount store arena.

Some dogs do OK on cheap foods but in my experience, the better the food, the better the dog does. If a dog isn't responding well to a food, why continue with it when there are "better" choices out there? :thumbsup:

I've also studied marketing as part of a small business certificate course and again during a management certificate course, and let me just say that in the case of dog foods, marketing for the higher quality kibbles is very minimal compared to that of the supermarket, budget brands. I've never, for example, seen a TV advertisement for Nutro or Eagle Pack, but I see many for VIP dog rolls. Just one example of many in the marketing game. :( Dr Harry Cooper "sells" Supercoat so people automatically assume it is a good food - why? Because a TV vet recommends it! That doesn't mean it's a good food though, does it? :rofl: Marketing of pet foods in this country is largely done by cheaper foods b/c they appeal to a wider audience than the better quality products do. However, in the USA for example, I understand the opposite is true. Higher quality foods are chosen by more people than lower quality ones, or that's what I've been led to believe. Please correct me if I'm wrong there. :p

I used supercoat for the first year and abbie did sooooo many poos. She had a really nice coat and was healthy so I didn't associate the poos with supercoat. Now I feed raw (BARF but home made) and she does hardly any poos and doesn't smell much (only when shes been rolling in possum poo! :laugh: )

A. & A.

Dos anyone use CopRice family dog food??? This is the onluy brand that I can get all my dogs and fosters to eat and usually they do well on it!! IUt is rice and chicken based, not usre on quality though.

I know that you're in a regional area, so Coprice is readily available and a very popular choice for the working dogs. BUT it's fairly poor quality...it's main ingredients are cereals and grains. Having said that, if the dogs are doing well on it, no need to change. Just be sure that they ARE doing well on it, perhaps by gradually switching to a higher quality food for a bit and see if there's any changes... :laugh: