Puppy Introduction To Resident Cats

Newby_Pom_Puppy_Owner

I am awaiting the arrival of my pomeranian puppy (Isabella - Bella for short) ...

Counting the days until she'd be 8 weeks old & old enough to be taken home with me in 4 weeks.

I have two handsome purebred Ragdoll cats at home (Jake & Elwood) who are two years old, they both have friendly nature and have the run of the house.

I need advice on how to introduce my little girl to my boys properly so they will accept each other & get along.

Bella will have her own section of the covered patio enclosed for her (like a large baby pen with her kennel within the enclosure) until she is big enough to have the whole backyard to herself.

Would appreciate any advice.

I too am interested in how this should be done...My Bella will be coming home in just less than 3 weeks and I'm planning to take her with me to visit my mum who has two cats (one of which is my boy, and probably won't be too happy about mummy having a new lil girl :thumbsup: )

Cats are mean.

I tried to introduce Axel to a cat, the car punched him in the head and Axel fell over. <sar>I suggest removing the cats, no dogs should be bullied like that.</sar>

HA HA HA !!! How funny !!! I would have loved to have seen the cat punching your dog in the head !!!! Thanks, for the post Midol but there is no way I will be removing my boys! They were there first & will have the higher pecking order than the new little girl.

I'll be sure to follow the good advices given... Slowly but surely... I'm sure with a lot of love & patience everyone will get along. Cheers. :thumbsup:

THANK YOU! 'my_sibe_owns_me' I did the search as you suggested, very helpful infos.

Thanks. Cheers :provoke:

quote name='my_sibe_owns_me' post='1332976' date='1st Nov 2006 - 03:09 PM']

Your welcome. Im sur everything will work out just fine :thumbsup:

So when do we get to see pictures of your little girl?

This photo was sent via email last Sunday. Apparently she has started to crawl around & loves cuddles.

Uh... can't seem to attach the picture... sorry.

trying again [

Edited by Newby_Pom_Puppy_Owner

When Ed was a pup we introduced him by having him on lead and let the cats into the room (their claws has been clipped using human nail clippers just incase) but we never had any issues

We also never left them unattended until we were certain how he acted with them, and he is fantastic with them now, when the dogs are pups its much easier I think

Here are Ed and Blossom from last week

DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0245.jpg

When Ed was a pup we introduced him by having him on lead and let the cats into the room (their claws has been clipped using human nail clippers just incase) but we never had any issues

We also never left them unattended until we were certain how he acted with them, and he is fantastic with them now, when the dogs are pups its much easier I think

Here are Ed and Blossom from last week

DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0245.jpg

Fantastic ! Great pictures 'shoemonster' I hope my furrykids will love each other as yours seem to !!! You have given me hope... Thank you !!! :thumbsup:

We have had Sandy ( think garfield) for nearly nine years, he used to belt our Gizmo ( maltese, let her R.I.P) until she started giving it back, we now have Jack and he knows sandy is boss, even though he weighs more than two times Sandy, anyway the other day the funniest thing happened. Jack is quite a big dog, so his time inside is extremely limited, whereas sandy is inside all the time, well we could hear Jack barking (very rare occurance) and we ignored it for a little bit but it kept going so I got up and looked out the lounge room window to see what the problem was! Well here sandy was sitting behind the curtains at the window, obviously saying to jack "ha, Ha, I am inside and your'e not!" and Jack was barking at him, it was the funniest thing. Another time I had Jacks attention at the kitchen window and i could see sandy slinking through the back yard watching him, obviously so he didn' t get caught, they are the funniest pair! But I don't think will ever share food or a bed together, lol

I recently got a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I was a little concerned about introducing my "only child" cat Merlin to our new addition to the family.

I decided to have our pup in his play pen and let Merlin enter the room and investigate himself. He knew something was up as soon as he entered the house. I gave the cat a lot of strokes and praise and although Merlin was a little freaked out about what on earth had entered his home he handled him better than expected. He was actually more scared of the pup than anything but he just kept his distance for a while until he sussed the newbie out. It's been 3ish weeks and they now play together (more on the cats terms) and he has only batted him on the head once without claws when he wanted the puppy to back off and he was in a corner.

Overall I suggest a calm introduction with measures to ensure that they are separated by something just in case. Slow and gentle introduction helps the cat adjust to change. I also try and balance the attention of the two as I'd hate Merlin to feel outcast. Merlin still gets his perks of sleeping on the end of our bed and the puppy knows that the laundry is Merlin's area somehow.

Let us know how it goes =)

We were lucky as both our dogs arrived at our house to meet our cat Puss. I always think your lucky if you have the cat first, as some dogs can't be around cats if they weren't brought up with them. Puss lived till he was 18 yo and would box our husky in the face... he had no fear...

Then we got our current cat who we had since she was a kitten and since she has grown up with our dogs, can't stand other cats! I seriously think she thinks she is a dog. We tried getting another cat but even after more than a year they couldn't get along. We had to rehome the second cat (luckily a friend of ours took her) but our current cat now has sealed her position as the only cat of the house!

I too will be adding a puppy in a couple of weeks to a house with 4 cats, all who are very dog savvy. This is when a crate comes in so handy - to protect the pup! My youngest 2 cats are half siamese and absolute terrors.

Make sure both the cats and the pup have safe spots to go to that are theirs. Watch the cats like hawks that they don't get too rough with the pup for the first few weeks. And visa versa :eek:

My experience is all works out well in the end. Commonsense is a wonderful thing :rofl:

fix spelling :D

Edited by Rebanne

Dogs and cats that live in the same house often become best of friends in there own time. Each time i have intoduced a new kitten or puppy they have hated each other at first. The cat usually hides out for a few weeks, but gradually realises the dog isnt going to hurt him and only wants to play. Give it 3 or 4 weeks and they will be snuggling together on the couch! :p