Sick Puppy

shakaiba

hi to all..my friend brought a beautiful lab puppy..after 2 days she got sick,the puppy was taken back by the breeder to fix her...she was then told that the puppy had a virus that puppies get and not to worry...it tuned out to be coronavirus..still my friend was told not to worry its just something that they get...when the puppy came back she couldnt walk properly it looked like she had something wrong with her hips...my friend was abouselty devastated..and decided to give to puppy back...which was so heartbreaking..the breeder didnt apolagize for whats happened..for a first time buyer for these beautiful dogs its a bit dishearting..there was no help from the vets or the breeder..i always thoght the breeder was meant to be there for the buyer and help..and give advice..is this wrong..any info or advice would be appeciated....thanx all

Oh dear...that poor little baby :shakehead: was this a registered breeder? If so, i am very annoyed by the way that they treated your friend. However, I think it may be more likely that the breeder was simply a backyard breeder. in other words, an irresponsible person who breeds the family pet either for the money, or for the purpose of having a dog that is 'just like' their beloved pet. I don;t mean to sound harsh but it is important to do your research when you buy a puppy. Its not just th breed of dog that matters but also the breeder. Did the breeder give you registration papers or pedigree papers?

Most god breeders will offer to help you out if the puppy gets sick. Did your friend take the pup to a vet? If so, what did the vet say? If this was a problem with the pups hips, I would guess that it was a genetic problem, which straight away points to bad breeding practices.

It's important that your friend doesn't think that this was her fault. You are right, the breeder is supposed to be there with advice and in the case that a puppy gets sick, the breeder should offer a refund. But many breeders will offer their puppies with a guarantee (sp?) that there will be no genetic problems, such is there belief in the good quality of their dogs.

This is a very sad thing to have happen and i hope your friend is not put off buying another puppy later on, from a good breeder.

I think I agree that this does not sound like a registered breeder, or you would hope that it is not a registered breeder.

With both my golden retrievers when they were pups both breeders stated if there are any problems to contact them immediately AND if I ever couldn't provide a home for the dogs I was to contact them immediately. I always felt that if I had a problem with either of them that I could ring them and discuss them. I think that is a sign of a good breeder that you feel comfortable enough to be able to email or talk to them. In fact with my youngest pup I emailed questions beforehand and they were always promptly answered with photos

Tell your friend to try again but get in touch with several registered breeders and talk to them first on the phone and view puppies, get their hip, eye, heart scores and any other things appropriate for labradors then a vet check asap when the new pup is chosen.

Oh dear...that poor little baby :shakehead: was this a registered breeder? If so, i am very annoyed by the way that they treated your friend. However, I think it may be more likely that the breeder was simply a backyard breeder. in other words, an irresponsible person who breeds the family pet either for the money, or for the purpose of having a dog that is 'just like' their beloved pet. I don;t mean to sound harsh but it is important to do your research when you buy a puppy. Its not just th breed of dog that matters but also the breeder. Did the breeder give you registration papers or pedigree papers?

Most god breeders will offer to help you out if the puppy gets sick. Did your friend take the pup to a vet? If so, what did the vet say? If this was a problem with the pups hips, I would guess that it was a genetic problem, which straight away points to bad breeding practices.

It's important that your friend doesn't think that this was her fault. You are right, the breeder is supposed to be there with advice and in the case that a puppy gets sick, the breeder should offer a refund. But many breeders will offer their puppies with a guarantee (sp?) that there will be no genetic problems, such is there belief in the good quality of their dogs.

This is a very sad thing to have happen and i hope your friend is not put off buying another puppy later on, from a good breeder.

..yes,,my friend brought the puppy from a registred breeder who was recommended from a highly regarded breeder..she was given all the papers,.the pup was taken back by the breeeder and taken to her vet who was less than helpful..because they said they could tell her anything about anything when my friend asked on her puppies condtion.and what the treatment it had been given which was very frustrating for her..a refund was given..but why she is so upset is the fact that the breeder seemed to cover up why the puppy was sick and that the virus was just something like a everyday cold..which totally disgusted me....and yes i a agree the hip problem looked to me as if it was going to get awhole lot worse not better,,which is a shame cse she was a beautiful puppy..as a dog owner and lover im disgusted that the breeder never offerred any advice or didnt seem to care and tried to cover up the severity of the problem..

If the vet wouldn't tell her anything about the condition, how did she find out it was corona virus?

Technically, she has received a refund for the pup and the 'breeder' took the pup back for treatment, so cannot ask for anymore. I would be reporting it to the canine council of the state however. Emotionally, it is devestating for your friend :thumbsup:

I hope this doesn't make your friend give up on registered breeders. The good ones far outweigh the bad.

If the vet wouldn't tell her anything about the condition, how did she find out it was corona virus?

Technically, she has received a refund for the pup and the 'breeder' took the pup back for treatment, so cannot ask for anymore. I would be reporting it to the canine council of the state however. Emotionally, it is devestating for your friend :thumbsup:

I hope this doesn't make your friend give up on registered breeders. The good ones far outweigh the bad.

it was the breeder that told her it was coronavirus and was so blaise about it..because another pup in the litter that was still with the mum also got sick..and they tested for parvo..it just wouldve been nice for the vet /and/ breeder/to explain excactly what this virus does to a puppies stomach...cse thats what they are therer for to help...

hi to all..my friend brought a beautiful lab puppy..after 2 days she got sick,the puppy was taken back by the breeder to fix her...she was then told that the puppy had a virus that puppies get and not to worry...it tuned out to be coronavirus..still my friend was told not to worry its just something that they get...when the puppy came back she couldnt walk properly it looked like she had something wrong with her hips...my friend was abouselty devastated..and decided to give to puppy back...which was so heartbreaking..the breeder didnt apolagize for whats happened..for a first time buyer for these beautiful dogs its a bit dishearting..there was no help from the vets or the breeder..i always thoght the breeder was meant to be there for the buyer and help..and give advice..is this wrong..any info or advice would be appeciated....thanx all

hey that very sad i am sorry to her is it ok now>>

I can't see what the problem here is. If the vet wouldn't tell your friend what the problem was, that's a problem with the vet - so the breeder did. I presume the breeder was paying the vet bills? So, the vet was heeding the privacy laws, and not telling someone who was not paying the bills.

Whilst it is not ideal that the pup had corona virus, it does happen, and mostly, it is no ones fault.

The breeder then took back the pup at your friend's request, and I presume, gave her a refund.

There should be no probem with that.

You seem to be concerned about the breeder's blase attitude. Maybe her attitude was blase because she understood the pup would fully recover.

You might also tell us what the virus was doing to the pup's stomach?

The puppy was limping. Pups DO NOT limp from HD at 8 weeks of age, so there was probably something else wrong with the pup - the limp presumably was not diagnosed, so it's not very fair to say it was HD, unless there is proof. And there isn't, because it is not HD.

i a agree the hip problem looked to me as if it was going to get awhole lot worse not better,

Why do you think it "was going to get a whole lot worse"? Are your qualified to make that statement? Do you have extensive experience with HD?

A pup is not a bicycle, it is a living organism, prone to ailments which which any living organism can have. Corona Virus is highly contagious, and can be caught from people's hands or shoes, or contact with another dog which has the virus, but may not be showing any symptoms. It is rarely fatal, and is like numerous other viruses that dogs or people can contract - such as the cold virus.

I don't think it is very reasonable to come onto a public forum and paste a breeder because the pup caught a virus, and then blame the breeder because the pup had an undiagnosed limp, which may have been due to someone standing on it, falling off something or any number of other causes. Something which probably happened when it was in your friend's care, incidentally.

the breeder was meant to be there for the buyer

The breeder was there for the buyer - she told her what she thought the problem with the pup was - and took the pup back and gave a refund, at your friend's request. What more did you expect?

I think the breeder did the right thing, but you are looking for someone to blame - get over it, things happen to living organisms which no one, and no care in the world, can prevent.

Your friend decided to return a pup which was sick, but which would recover, and which had an undiagnosed limp.

The breeder took it back, and was probably pleased to do so, because, imho, your friend's attitude to the pup did not show the caring attitude that dog owners should exhibit.

Edited by Jed

I can't see what the problem here is. If the vet wouldn't tell your friend what the problem was, that's a problem with the vet - so the breeder did. I presume the breeder was paying the vet bills? So, the vet was heeding the privacy laws, and not telling someone who was not paying the bills.

Whilst it is not ideal that the pup had corona virus, it does happen, and mostly, it is no ones fault.

The breeder then took back the pup at your friend's request, and I presume, gave her a refund.

There should be no probem with that.

You seem to be concerned about the breeder's blase attitude. Maybe her attitude was blase because she understood the pup would fully recover.

You might also tell us what the virus was doing to the pup's stomach?

The puppy was limping. Pups DO NOT limp from HD at 8 weeks of age, so there was probably something else wrong with the pup - the limp presumably was not diagnosed, so it's not very fair to say it was HD, unless there is proof. And there isn't, because it is not HD.

i a agree the hip problem looked to me as if it was going to get awhole lot worse not better,

Why do you think it "was going to get a whole lot worse"? Are your qualified to make that statement? Do you have extensive experience with HD?

A pup is not a bicycle, it is a living organism, prone to ailments which which any living organism can have. Corona Virus is highly contagious, and can be caught from people's hands or shoes, or contact with another dog which has the virus, but may not be showing any symptoms. It is rarely fatal, and is like numerous other viruses that dogs or people can contract - such as the cold virus.

I don't think it is very reasonable to come onto a public forum and paste a breeder because the pup caught a virus, and then blame the breeder because the pup had an undiagnosed limp, which may have been due to someone standing on it, falling off something or any number of other causes. Something which probably happened when it was in your friend's care, incidentally.

the breeder was meant to be there for the buyer

The breeder was there for the buyer - she told her what she thought the problem with the pup was - and took the pup back and gave a refund, at your friend's request. What more did you expect?

I think the breeder did the right thing, but you are looking for someone to blame - get over it, things happen to living organisms which no one, and no care in the world, can prevent.

Your friend decided to return a pup which was sick, but which would recover, and which had an undiagnosed limp.

The breeder took it back, and was probably pleased to do so, because, imho, your friend's attitude to the pup did not show the caring attitude that dog owners should exhibit.

to all that have read this;

sorry if i have upset or offended anyone here that was not my intention..nor did paste the the breeder...nor did i blame the vet...i just wanted to ask other dog lovers/breeders opioion...on what they wouldve done in this situation as i thought that was what this forum was for to ask questions..to gain knowledge and advice..and yes i understand what the coronavirus is and what it does..and how it rips the lining of a dogs stomach hence the blood in poo...and there is a vaccine for it so they are less likey to come in conntact with it nor did i diagnose HD i just said it looked like the pain was in the hips and yes i have had experince with HD many years ago..its not only painful for the dog its painful and heartbreaking for the owner...the breeder took it back because they were asked to do so..buy the buyer..the puppy came back to the buyer with this injury so therfore it wasnt fallen stepped on or anything else,,the reason i know this is because i saw the puppy straight after it came home..after being away for 5 days of being treated in quarantine either by the breeder or vet .and if you call crying over a puppy and beingworried everyday till it came back home and trying to get info about it everyday not caring..and getting someone else to drive their car because they were to upset to do so to take they pup back...then could u please tell me what is..and as for getting over it i dont think she will..but thanks for caring..

I apologise, you did not say it was HD. Someone else did. It's not HD.

I stand by what I said - it was more likely to be an injury, maybe acquired at the breeders, or the new owners - it may in fact have been a muscle weakness from being ill.

for a first time buyer for these beautiful dogs its a bit dishearting..there was no help from the vets or the breeder

From what you wrote earlier, the breeder took the pup to the vet - and presumably paid the bill - returned the pup to your friend. Your friend decided she didn't want it any more, so returned it to the breeder, presumably for a refund.

I don't understand this - "no help from the breeder". What sort of help exactly did you expect? As far as I can see, there wasn't much else to be done?

The vet cured the pup, the breeder paid the bill, the breeder took the pup back, and refunded the price. But you are complaining. Whats the problem?

And as far as the corona vaccine goes, it's not terribly effective anyhow, and the pup may well have contracted corona even if it had been vaccinated. The only way to vaccinate against corona is to give the pup a C7 - which means SEVEN live vaccines at once. In a 6 - 7 week old pup.

Frankly, as a breeder, I'd prefer the pup to take it's chance with corona than to vaccinate with a C7. Most vets are not enthusiastic about vaccinating with C7 as a first vaccination. The vaccine is quite likely to cause damage to the immune system - and has done on a lot of occasions - in 12 or 16 week old pups.

HD in dogs with tested parents would be slim to none. I would expect a 10 week old pup with HD to be from mechanical injury.

Shakaiba you say the puppy came straight to the owners with this injury - why was the puppy accepted if it showed illness? Why was the pup not taken to more vets for a second opinion? Was there an x-ray done to find out why the pup couldnt walk properly? 5 days of quarintine with breeder or vet what exactly happened - if it was at the vet clinic on drips and medication its poor little body would have been knocked about severely and the onus is on the owners to find out about aftercare or go straight to a vet they trust.

If it had severe enough stomach pain it could have had difficulty walking due to pain. They have enough trouble wobbling around on those big feet of theirs at that age that a big pain would cause them problems.

Its not on a breeder to carry a new owner ever second of the day. If the breeder had other sick dogs they had their own set of problems and vet bills. This breeder gave them a refund and took the pup back. I dont see what more you want the breeder to do, a shoddy breeder would not have bothered with vets and giving a full refund. This breeder now has another mouth to feed and another set of vet bills.