Good Quality Dry Food In Different Sizes.

leopuppy04

I was wondering - I have this Triple Crown dog toy that my guy loves http://www.aboutdogtraining.com/panel.php?14 (which I highly recommend by the way - very difficult to get the treats out for my boy - he has to chew the ball and bounce it as opposed to just rolling it!). The hole however to put the treat in is quite large so my normal dry food (supercoat) doesn't fit into it coz it makes it too easy to empty. I had a packet of Advance dry that we won at a trial and while I really like this (how do you rate it??) I want to switch to something like Nutrience/ Proplan but I don't know what size the dry food is...... can anyone give me tips on the size of dry food similar to advance? The only other one I can think of is Science Diet Oral Care - but I don't really like science diet......

Any suggestions?

I know that you can get the Nutrience in different sizes. Last time that I got it, it came with a free smaller size bag but as they did not have the medium breed size they gave me the free bag in small dog and I was told that it is the same just smaller biscuits for smaller mouths.

I know that you can get the Nutrience in different sizes. Last time that I got it, it came with a free smaller size bag but as they did not have the medium breed size they gave me the free bag in small dog and I was told that it is the same just smaller biscuits for smaller mouths.

Thanks Sez - I saw that some have 'small' and 'medium' written on it...... how big is the medium???

Would be about the size of a thumb nail, I think. I am using Iams again at the moment as the shop did not stock Nutrience. They have a few different ones that are different shapes and sizes, I would just be having a feel of the bag.

Would be about the size of a thumb nail, I think. I am using Iams again at the moment as the shop did not stock Nutrience. They have a few different ones that are different shapes and sizes, I would just be having a feel of the bag.

LOL - do you know how many strange looks I get for doing that?!?!?! :thumbsup: I guess the next best thing is to buy the small packets of each and see which one is the best :laugh:

Nutro have a mini kibble available in Adult Maintenance and Lamb and Rice, mini being for dogs which prefer a small bite. It is available from 4 Paws and More Pet Supplies in Keilor Park, am sure they would send you some samples if you cant get to them. :thumbsup:

Thanks hesapandabear - but i'm actually looking for larger sized kibble :laugh:.

Pro Plan kibble is definitely smaller than the advance- i haven't seen every variety but the normal adult and performance (which my dog wouldn't even eat!) are quite small. Having used both, i would recomend the Advance over the Pro Plan anyway- had much better results with my 3 dogs in weight, coat condition and palatability.

Pro Plan kibble is definitely smaller than the advance- i haven't seen every variety but the normal adult and performance (which my dog wouldn't even eat!) are quite small. Having used both, i would recomend the Advance over the Pro Plan anyway- had much better results with my 3 dogs in weight, coat condition and palatability.

I must admit that my dog does love Advance - but I wasnt' sure if that was just coz it tastes like Maccas or not - i'm not really sure about the nutrient value etc.

I have some of the Supercoat Special Senior (something like that!) and that is quite a large kibble. It is at least as big as a 5 cent piece. There are other varieties in the range. Is in some supermarkets and is in Pet feed stores.

Both the EaglePack and Proplan are quite small, no bigger than the normal supercoat anyhow.

If you want to stick with Supercoat you can try the 'large breed' one - the kibble is a fair bit bigger and more of a rectangle shape from memory.

Bonnie working dog is a large flat disk of a kibble if that's of interest.

I think the smallest bag of either is a 4kg one tho.

Leo - Advance is considered a super premium kibble...up with EP, RC, Euk, Nutrience etc etc

The advance is a premium food but the best indication is how your dog does on it- My dogs did very poorly on the pro plan and i felt like i had to feed an awful lot of it just to keep their weight on. The Advance i have really been able to cut back and still have the dogs look and feel fantastic. I have spoken to all of the reps from the premium food companies about differences in their products and they all give conflicting information regarding nutrients etc.

I must admit i was very put off by the pro plan rep i spoke to who told me raw meats/ bones were near deadly to dogs and that their digestive system can't cope with it, as well as slamming all the other premium foods which i think is unethical. She also said that adding anything to the diet is pointless and dangerous and while i realise her job is to sell the product, i didn't appreciate the scare tactics used to do so. I think your dog is your best indication.

I must admit i was very put off by the pro plan rep i spoke to who told me raw meats/ bones were near deadly to dogs and that their digestive system can't cope with it

:) :cool:

Quick.... someone tell my girls that! :confused:

as well as slamming all the other premium foods which i think is unethical. She also said that adding anything to the diet is pointless and dangerous and while i realise her job is to sell the product, i didn't appreciate the scare tactics used to do so.

Hmm... most of the reps we deal with have a good knowledge of the other brands on the market and can easily discuss points of difference... but that's a bit different isn't it?

I think your dog is your best indication.

Couldn't agree more.

Now for the OP - A few bigger sized kibbles include Nutrience (look for Large Crunch on the bag); Royal Canin Maxi Giant (particularly Adult which is huge); Hills Oral Care; Nutro Large Breed varieties.

As a suggestion, make a concoction of kibble, plain yoghurt and other goodies, pack firmly into the treat ball, then refrigerate overnight. Wrap first in cling wrap (and remember to take the cling wrap off LOL). The Everlasting Treat Balls can be treated like a Kong in many ways, so you might find more ideas on the kong website.

Have fun!

Sags

;)

edited because I can't spell!

Edited by Sagittarian

Now for the OP - A few bigger sized kibbles include Nutrience (look for Large Crunch on the bag); Royal Canin Maxi Giant (particularly Adult which is huge); Hills Oral Care; Nutro Large Breed varieties.

As a suggestion, make a concoction of kibble, plain yoghurt and other goodies, pack firmly into the treat ball, then refrigerate overnight. Wrap first in cling wrap (and remember to take the cling wrap off LOL). The Everlasting Treat Balls can be treated like a Kong in many ways, so you might find more ideas on the kong website.

WOW - thanks for the suggestions! Do you know where I can get the 'large crunch Nutrience?' - everywhere I go only tend to stock 'medium crunch' - is it something i'd have to order in?? (mega pet warehouse ringwood is my usual haunt)

GREAT idea for stuffing the treat ball - he LOOOVES it and it is the only one that lasts a while to empty! Will try the yoghurt idea (hehe - and also remember to take the cling wrap off!).

Kitkat - I like supercoat as a general brand but am looking more at the premium range - i'm doing sorta a 1/2, 1/2 thing at the moment along with a raw diet etc.

Thanks all for the feedback on Advance - I like it and so does the dog, yet I wasn't sure how good it actually was (lol - my dog eats anything!)