Sick Puppy

Diesel the Weasel

Ooh, he's so cute! Glad to hear that he is improving and yes, after any major open surgery it takes a while for the bowels to start working again and accept food, so this sounds normal. Hopefully he will soon be back to being a typical schnauzer and eating eveything on offer. Fingers crossed for a full recovery. :hug:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still no change this morning. He wants to eat and drink, but still vomiting. ;)

I am starting to worry that there may be permanent damage to his digestive system...... He looks so skinny and unhappy.

Dont worry too much about the damage, the digestive system heals pretty well after gastro. He will look skinny because of the 5 days of no food but mainly because of the dehydration. He would look unhappy because he's one hungry MS that cant eat and misses his mummy :(

The vomitting is more then likely a mix of post surgery and gastro irritation. Just be patient, this takes time.

I am so sorry to hear your little pup is unwell and i have my fingers crossed that it all improves for you.. he is absolutely gorgeous.

My boyfriends Jack Russell had a throwing up issue when he was a pup. He was constantly throwing up and kept trying to eat what he had thrown up but they wouldn't let him which was just making him sicker. Had to go to the vet each day for a month and be fed slowly as his little body couldn't handle food anymore and over time he eventully got back onto solids. He is now 12 years old and has led a very happy and healthy life....

Thanks for your encouragement guys!

It just seems to be moving sooooo slowly - I guess I had hoped I would be able to see some improvement (even if it was small) every day. When he doesn't seem to be getting even a little better, I become pessimistic about the outcome again.

I miss my baby heaps! It is a week tomorrow since he has been at the vets. My house is so quiet without him ;)

I have tried to find some info on the recovery time for rota virus. Heaps on skin kids (about 9 days to recover if anyone is wondering) but nothing much on the effects in dogs. I guess the internet is only as good as what people think is important to put on there!

He appears to be quite hungry, but not keeping all the food down yet. Still, it is an improvement, and he is going for longer periods of time without vomiting which is good.

Went in to see him this morning - he is still very flat and no energy. I think he may even be annoyed with me for leaving him there so long! maybe he was just tired and didn't want to be disturbed!

Diesel would be very exhausted right now so dont read too much into it hun.

Chances are that his stomach has shrunk and the intestines would still be irritated after the surgery. It will take a long time to get back to normal, theres no quick fix. Just stay patient, it seems like he is on the road to recovery now.

Such good news! I went into see him this afternoon, and he was off the drip and playing with the nurses! He actually ran (sort of) down the hall with his tail wagging when he heard my voice!

It is amazing the difference since this morning! He is still vomiting a little, but did his first solid poo in a week, which means some of the food has been finally getting through! If all goes well and he stays off the drip, he may be able to come home on the weekend!

:thumbsup:

I can't believe that after 8 days at the vets and being told that there was a good chance he wouldn't make it, that he has made such a huge improvement in one afternoon!

Thanks all for your good wishes! I will keep you posted when he gets home! (time for a puppy party I think!)

Diesel is coming home this afternoon!! The vet called me about an hour ago and I can come and pick him up in about 15mins!

I am so excited - in the last 2 days, he has made such massive improvements. He hasn't vomited since yesterday morning and I can see signs of his normal cheeky personality again! He was even barking this morning!

Thankyou so much for all your advice and support over the last 10 days! (Can't believe it has been that long!)

:) Puppy Party!!