Types Of Sheep-working Dogs

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some pics of Trim, she has quite a bit of eye, a tendancy to be a little tight and has a fair amount of presence.

I am abit late coming into this thread as i haven't been into the forum lately just had too much to do but althought i don't class my dogs as working dogs they will work.

Here is some photos of my newest Edition Trim Hopefuly grow up to be just like Vicki's trim but a different colour.

Any way this was her first time on Sheep and at 3 months old already showing a bit of Style.

Sarasota%20Tried%20For%20Ewe-hal.jpg

Sarasota%20Tried%20For%20Ewe-hag.jpg

Sarasota%20Tried%20For%20Ewe-had.jpgSarasota%20Tried%20For%20Ewe-hae.jpg

Sarasota%20Tried%20For%20Ewe-haa.jpgSarasota%20Tried%20For%20Ewe-haj.jpg

Tracey

Fidelis Border Collies

Sigh... I love this thread!

Can't wait for more photos (especially of the Koolies!)

Here are some of Hope...She works only at home with 'her' ducks or chooks. And she pretends she has no idea what herding is when I try to help us both learn more at workshops...Very frustrating!

Has anyone else had or heard of a dog that did this? It's like she knows 'her' birds need to be moved here or taken over there, but looks at me as if I can't be serious when I ask her to move (someone else's) sheep in a pointless circle!

post-6062-1164356120_thumb.jpg

post-6062-1164356190_thumb.jpg

So I guess this is a Coolie thread now... :eek::cheer:

Some really great photo's everyone! I must say I notice quite a variation in style in the various coolies I have seen work...bit I guess I can say the same for Kelpies & BC's.

This is Dylan, I used to train with them. I would say he works with more eye & in a less upright fashion than the majority I have seen (although this photo doesn't show that).

large.jpg

Edited by Vickie

:cheer:

here are the five workers...just taken..they are still a bit weary from their week's work. Rest day today, then back into it tomorrow.On the left-hand side are 3 generations. Oldest on top, youngest in middle.The brown boofer is our working man :D the others are "the girls"

post-1359-1164414750_thumb.jpg

edited to add...certainly no beauty contest winners here...but that is not what we look for!! :eek:

we value even the ugliest :rofl:

Edited by persephone

edited to add...certainly no beauty contest winners here...but that is not what we look for!! :cheer:

we value even the ugliest :eek:

nothing ugly about that lot Persephone!

You know, last week I was at a farm & saw a pretty mangy looking Kelpie wandering around. I didn't pay it much attention. About an hour later I saw it working...I thought to myself "My God, that dog is magnificent!". Then it went back to hanging around the house & I continued to see it as the beautiful dog it was.

Here is Gypsy she has won a 3 sheep trial she has lots of eye and works sheep,ducks and cattle oh and Goaties but even though mine are feral they are not like the ones persephone's dogs tackle mine are for breaking pups in so very quiet unless having a bad goat day :cheer:

gypsysuatlawncopy.jpg

Rolli who uses some eye he works nice and wide off the stock unless they give him trouble and has a natural herding instinct he bought the sheep to me the first time he was worked at 6 months old.

runjune2.jpg

Frank who is a long haired Coolie like Perry he comes from Mudgee and is a young dog with heaps of enthusiaum and natural instinct I will start him in the holidays. He actually shares some of chills bloodlines.

frankrungoats.jpg

Edited by Coolibah Coolies

We were at Best friends retreat this weekend so we came down to Welshpool to check out the herding Me, OH, Suz my stalker! and the 3 staffords

We stood out a little, but that was good cos we got to meet Jesomil!

The dogs were fantastic, so clever, we were in awe, and even cheered when the dogs got the cattle through the gate :rofl: I'm sure we looked like nutters, but we were excited :love:

Here are some of Hope...She works only at home with 'her' ducks or chooks. And she pretends she has no idea what herding is when I try to help us both learn more at workshops...Very frustrating!

Has anyone else had or heard of a dog that did this? It's like she knows 'her' birds need to be moved here or taken over there, but looks at me as if I can't be serious when I ask her to move (someone else's) sheep in a pointless circle!

hmm interesting. of course i have no real idea not seeing whats shes doing but it could be sheep, they're a bit more intimidating,a nd it could be that youre asking her to do it yuor way, rather than letting her have free rein...im not sure how you introduce her to the sheep tho. but possum raelly resisted anyone trying to tell her how to work for quite a long time and we still have words about it now. if you are trying to impose yourself (which you should, cos you want her to do what you tell) she may be like, hmmm i dont think so!

but like i said, couldnt tell you for sure....

(shes veeeeery cute by the way)

edited to add...certainly no beauty contest winners here...but that is not what we look for!! :(

we value even the ugliest :laugh:

they look like some serious working dogs! and very tired ones, like 'im trying to sleep here can you get that stupid camera out of my face'! they look very strong and tough. and so do your sheep!!

That was Saturday afternoon wasn't it Shoe?

I was there as well. The Lone Koolie hahahaha, not another Koolie in sight.

Though the farmers kept asking me if he worked and how well etc etc. He is switching off after 5 minutes or so at the moment. His hormones have kicked in and he is not used to it. But if I repeatedly took him in for 5 minute stints he just gets better and better.

1 BIG problem he has, for me anyway is getting stock off a fence. He will charge head long into a mob nop problem, but will not go between stock and a fence if they are packed in. He would rather back at that point and run across the top of tham.

Adam