French Swat Dogs

maybe theres something wrong with me because i do like watching dogs take down a decoy....infact i was in america at just recently being the guy in the bite suit getting taken down :cry:

these dogs arent trained to hurt or take peoples lives....they are trained to save peoples lives.

Jeff I understand that the dogs are trained to save peoples lives. Was it fun being the decoy? No disrespect intended.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe theres something wrong with me because i do like watching dogs take down a decoy....infact i was in america at just recently being the guy in the bite suit getting taken down :cry:

these dogs arent trained to hurt or take peoples lives....they are trained to save peoples lives.

Jeff I understand that the dogs are trained to save peoples lives. Was it fun being the decoy? No disrespect intended.

I love being a decoy, its great fun to see the dogs enjoy the work so much! I have a couple of pics of me being the decoy and in every one I have a big grin on my face (didnt realise I was doing it until I checked out the pic's)

great drive on those mals, IMO they are the best breed for this type of work!

the mal who latched onto his handler was IMO still in peak and just wanted more action, he wasnt on a toy, it was the handlers arm, if you look close the handler actually bobs the dog on the nose with his other hand and its only then that the dog releases.... nothing too serious, just needs a little more training... I noticed that the "out" on most of the dogs shown is actually not that great, but again, nothing that cant be corrected with further training....

great vid!!!

:cry: Great to see these dogs doing their stuff (please don't stereotype me from the avatar "attack poodle" :cry: ).

Friend at work showed me this and wondered what the breed was. Thought maybe Malinois, but wasn't sure.

Would these dogs normally live with their handler? In what circumstances?

The dogs in the vid Most likely do not live with there handlers. The mals in the vid are not the dogs you see on the show fields or sport fields. These dogs are hard as hard and are in no way pets. Even an average breed mal is not a great pet. The drive on these things is huge and they will test most. Mine pulled my fence down, he jumped through the window to get to the foxtel guy, and dug holes in my back yard so big I could climb in.. This male mal was worked three times a week at one year. They need a job! :)Having said that they are the best dogs in the world bar none sorry my black girls not bad either

Edited by sasjeep

Jeff you're just a closet masochist ... bite me bite me :cry: if you come to Melbourne I'll let my DDB have a little munch on you if you like it so much :)

I love a good bite. Its magic to see when a smaller dog like a Mal runs full pelt at a decoy and BANG. Incredible. Even more incredible is seeing a decoy get an atomic wedgie in a suite when a very over enthusiastic rottweiler went for an inner thigh bite ...

Sas yours sound like mine ... 12 hr shift, 2 hrs travel time - we get home and the bitch crams a toy into my lap with an expectant look on her face... THEY DONT STOP!!

Dont worry Golden Girl that was only PRETEND screaming and writhing by the decoy :cry:

There are moves in parts of the UK to muzzle Mals engaged in this type of work in order to reduce compensation claims for the damage they inflict when biting. Apparently these muzzled dogs are trained to knock over their targets with a "flying head-butt". See article HERE I believe the move to muzzle may have been prompted by an incident in which a Mal severed a man's hand at the wrist.

Apparently muzzled Mals still pack quite a punch, with the steel bar in muzzle designed to protect the dogs during the "head-butt", they have broken noses and ribs.

A better video to wtach is the Jerry Turning and Rudy Nationals- sorry but don't know how to link it. That dog is absolutely amazing and has the best out command i've ever seen.

I think this is it?

Agree that is AMAZING dog work, control is BRILLIANT. Does anybody have a dog that will heal like that and if so, how did you do it?

tmc a dog is a living creature not a machine. Even guns backfire. Shite happens, the dog is under pressure and sometimes grabs blindly under extreme stress. If the dog wanted to attack the handler he wouldnt have shaken it off so easily, and it would have gone for the face or upper body, not just the hand.

Nekhbet, never said the dog wanted to attack the handler,but he did get bit, for whatever reason, and this act could have cost him or another person dearly. Again l say that the bad guy was still and you can hear the handler talking to the dog, their was no need for a bite on a tug even, the dog should have still been watching the bad guy, as you say it is work and a working dog should be job ready. Shite does happen, and that was shite that should be trained for and avoided, the dog was not in the heat of battle and should not have considered it extreme stress, again l point out that the bad guy was motionless , and the handler had grabbed the dog and was settling it , it bit him hard enough to cause him to swing the dog around , at which point the terrorist could have rolled over removed a weapon and fired, l am only evaluating it as l see it , a lot of exceptional stuff and some poor actions as well, training is for the purpose of testing and improvement, and to get ready for the real work.

Thanks for posting that working setters- isn't it just incredible. That is an awesome dog and handler and thats the kind of out command and control i would like to see in the French dogs rather than intensity on its own.

I agree with you 100%. Control is paramount, not just athletic ability/drive. I LOVED the call off in the final sequence of Rudy's video - the dog is listening and responding to his partner/handler. You can tell he loves working with his partner. There is no way the French dogs would have done that as they are only focused on one thing - getting the bite and that's about it. I was disturbed that the French Malinois had to be pulled off the perps each time, but maybe that's how they want them to be?

the mal who latched onto his handler was IMO still in peak and just wanted more action, he wasnt on a toy, it was the handlers arm, if you look close the handler actually bobs the dog on the nose with his other hand and its only then that the dog releases.... great vid!!!

Still looks like a toy to me, not the handlers arm. Looking closely you can see the handlers fingers moving as he bops the dog on the nose, at the end of something he is holding that looks to me like a bite roll or tug toy of some description. I'd say he either went in for the toy before being allowed and/or caught the handler skin when he did so.