My Dog Keeps Throwing Up

Thanks everyone.

My little monkey is off to the vet in 2 hours and I will request a blood test. I will also try the rice and chicken as from tonight.

Bit upsetting about the supercoat and bonnie issue. I specifically asked for the best dog food from the pet food company and this is what they recommended. They said all the other foods contained a high cereal content. :( ..its hard when you try to do the right thing but lack the knowledge to make a educated decision. :)

Thanks for everyones feedback. I will let you know the outcome.

Yes try the chicken and rice, I fed it to my maltese when he vomitted and had a few runs last time and that helped. I hope your dog's blood test has good results and you can update us, I'm also quite curious to know what going on with him.

As for the food, you probably asked the wrong people, every food retailer/manufacturer will promote their own food, nothing wrong with that it's a business, but they really shouldn't bagged other brands and told you lies, it's very unethical. If I had been you, I would have take this as warning bells and seek info elsewhere. If you want to know more about food you can ask those guys at the Rescue part of DOL forum, they managed so many different dogs I think they will have more unbiased suggestions for you.

Best wishes.

Hello everyone,

I have a 2 year old male shepherd who has been throwing up off and on for the last few weeks.

First of all I contacted the vet immediately who thought it may be due to him being fed twice a day and that his stomach was having problems digesting as my dog is happy, playful, & has a good appetite..

He suggested feeding him smaller quantities a few times a day. This seemed to work initially but I have noticed since about a few days ago he is throwing up again. He will eat, throw up, eat it (if I dont get there quick enough to stop him)..then he is absolutely fine.

This morning though, he woke up...walked around for about 5 minutes and threw up grass. He hadnt even eaten anything yet.

I am taking him to the vet this evening but I like to get as much info as I can and I know there are some very knowledgable people on here.

His diet (fyi) consists of dry food (supercoat or bonnie) and a small portion of our dinner (assuming its not spicey). He does not eat canned food.

Any info is appreciated.

Oliver does chuck chunders (GSD) on those foods except for the Bonnie working dog. Also dry food tends to go off in the heat. I had Oliver to the vet numerous times tested for numerous things put him on working dog and the little bit he eats is fine. He tends to dig all the meat out of it :)

I have tried him on Hills, Eukanuba,Royal Canin specially for GSD's (the cats liked that) and now he is on the Bonie working dog. But I feed him a lot of briskett bones and chicken wings. He is also a very slow eater. Also GermanShepherds can have icky bellies. Add GSD to your title that will get the GSD people straight on to help you out.

hope he gets over it :(

Edited by isaviz

I used supercoat, the only reason i changed is that i have a dog who has a crap coat

Is the dog a chewer?

Atlas went though the same thing ( :) ) quite a few times - He eats something and it makes him sick (such as my shoe, his bed, the remote) He has been booked in for an operation once, only to spew everything up the night before!! (thanks DOG!)

Hope doggie is fine :(

DA, what are you feeding now? (always interested it what works well for others)

TG i was feeding Eukanuba but she didnt really like it i tried her on Supercoat adult and she is thriving on it. Beautiful shiny coat, happy healthy dog so im sticking with it at the moment. :)

Edited by Dust Angel

Hello everyone.

Just wanting to fill you all in on what has been happening and see if anyone has any further suggestions.

I took him to the vet who checked him and weighed him. He has put on 1kg since his last visit. His tummy seemed perfectly normal. He was also very energetic and keen to 'eat' the vet :)

The vet suggested to change his diet initially and see if this helps and if not to go back for blood tests.

As soon as I got him home, he threw up. Later I cooked him rice and chicken and he dryreached but it stayed in his belly. I have bought the chicken mince from coles from the meat section, as I wanted to ensure its good quality.

Saturday morning, fed him rice and chicken and he was fine. At lunch I dropped some of the chicken on the floor (5cm length, uncooked) so I tossed it to him and he ran and threw up. :love: (very upset with myself ofcourse) He also slept for most of the day and wasnt his usual self.

In the evening he ate and was fine.

Sunday breakfast, lunch, dinner no problems but he threw up between lunch and dinner for no reason.

This morning he ate and was running around wanting to play. No throw ups.

His stomach seems ultra-sensitive and it really is quite upsetting for me. The rice and chicken does seem to stay down though (thanks shoemonster). But if he eats anything other than rice and chicken he will throw up. even just a small mouthful.

I had thought to stick to the rice for a few days and otherwise take him back to the vet for further tests.

Did the vet do any blood tests? This has been going on for quite a while hasn't it?

He said because my dog has a stable weight and is active, has a good appetite, and there is no odd discolouration in his vomit, he is not concerned as such. He simply said to change his diet and try to narrow down what causes the vomits. I have given my dog till about wednesday to see if he improves, after which I am going back to get the tests.

Do dogs get stomach viruses? Sorry if that is an absurd question!

GS, as soon as I read your post I thought of a condition called "MEGA-ESOPHAGUS" which is prevalent in the GS breed but is also known to affect other breeds. This is usually a narrowing of the esophagus which makes the passage of solid food difficult due to damaged esophagus tissue (scar tissue), another possible reason is damaged nerves that do not function adequately in pumping food down which can cause a pouch to form and food will lodge there for a few secs only to come back up again; in puppies this tends to be congenital but it does develop occasionally in adult dogs, constant vomiting can cause this problem to develop that is why trying to alleviate the vomiting as a matter of urgency is very important. My parents have a standard fox terrier which had contracted parvo as a pup and was hospitalised, obviously they gave him antibiotics which caused scar tissue to form on his esophagus and once he came home he was unable to keep his food down...we didn't know what was wrong and he was taken back for tests and he was diagnosed with this condition, the vets didn't offer any explanation as to why he SUDDENLY developed this problem and said that perhaps it was genetic...I had difficulty believing that 'excuse' as he ate plenty as a pup, all kinds of things and NEVER once vomited...the vomiting started upon being discharged from the vets after beating parvo...I researched and researched and came across information that stipulated that some antibiotics (esp. vibravet) can cause scar tissue if they lodge for a period of time in the esophagus which I believe is the case with the fox terrier. I am not saying that antibiotics are the cause with your GS and I hope that I am way off altogether but I felt compelled to mention this. Suffice to say that the Fox terrier (Johnny) is thriving as mum soaks up the dry food and then mashes it and feeds it in small amounts at a time and he doesn't bring the food up...she tried to give him a chicken wing which she regularly supplies for the other dog and he gave it one munch and brought it back up immediately.

Perhaps it would be worth mentioning this probability to your vet...

Here are a couple of links that you may find informative...the 1st link shows a diagram of a dog and you just click onto the food bowl and drag it up into the dog's mouth and it shows how it settles into the stomach without a problem and the 2nd diagram shows a dog affected with mega-esophagus and you click on food bowl and drag to dog's mouth and it shows how the food seems to lodge into this pouch only to come back up again almost immediately.

I wish you luck and I really hope that it's just a case of the wrong food being fed.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_megaesophagus.html

http://www.dogstuff.info/digestive_tract_disorders.html

Edited by Zorro_007

germanshepherd,

You don't make any mention of what his droppings are like? Are they normal?

Yes they are perfectly fine. I checked them already and there is nothing odd about them.

Dark brown and lots of them!! (considering the amount he is throwing up Im surprised there is anything coming out the other end!)

Also to answer Zorro_007. I have read the article you provided and he is definately 'Vomiting' (Vomiting gagging, heaving, and retching as the body actively expels stomach contents.) as opposed to 'regurgitating'

Thanks everyone.

Edited by german_shepherd

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I just wanted to take the time to let everyone who offered their advice know how my boy is.

Since elevating his food and putting him on a diet of rice and chicken, he has been absolutely fine. He now is back to eating fresh meat and we are also continuing making his food for him. It's a little bit of extra work but well worth it :rofl:

Thanks to everyone who helped :rofl: