I Need Some Help And Re Assurance

OMD²

Hello,

second post of the day is in the help section lol.. I hope I don't have to post in here too often.

My husband and I just became proud parents of little Oscar (shih Tzu)..

He understands that poo poo's are for outside :walkdog: :D I am very proud of him.. We had a great day yesterday learning that. He has been doing some wee wee's outside :) Although he still has a few mishaps, which is fine with me. He's only little and still learning, plus they are my fault as I must have missed the que for it and didn't take him out in time.

Yesterday his poo's were a little bit loose.. The pet sho said I should expect that, as he gets used to his new environment. Last night they were better.. However he did do a lot of poo's yesterday.. Is that normal? I feed him 3 times.. however last night he only ate a little mouth full and he'd had enough.

This morning he doesn't even want to eat anything. I tried hand feeding him and he ate one little biscut.. I show him the bowl and nothing. I'm getting worried. If he doesn't eat lunch.. I was thinking I should ring the vet. Or am I worrying over nothing?

I have a few other little questions.. but atm I am more concerned about the not eating bit.

He seems to be totally attached to me. Everywhere I go I have a little four legged shadow. Do you think he might be anxious because I left him for 3 hours yesterday?

I have his bed and take his toys in to the laundry.. That's where he sleeps at night and where I put him if I have to go out. I was planning on staying home for two weeks and gradularly increase the time he is left alone... Thinking this would be less stressful for him...

So I don't know if that has anything to do with his not eating thismorning or not.. Will a puppy go off its food if it has been left alone?

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

How long have you owned him?

Have you taken him to the vet for a check up? when ever I get a new dog I always take them to my vet for a going over

A puppy will not go off his food if left along

Take him to the vet now

Yes, he went to the vet yesterday..

I just rang the shop and they seem to think it's because it's a bit hotter today and he doesn't have any litter mates to fight for food.

She said to ring back if he hadn't eaten anything by lunch.

He's up to date with worming and vaccinations

Other than that he seems fine.

Edited by Oscar

puppies take a while to settle in to a new home they may go off food for a couple of days - he wont starve himself make sure you offer the food eventually he will eat.

dont keep offering special treatment or hell have you cooking him roast dinners everynight before too long :walkdog:

do some more reading on here about crate/pen training if you havent already - it could help a lot with sep anxiety and not letting him become your 'shadow', once you leave the house he will cry.... he needs to learn that it is ok to be alone and you will return.

leaving him for increasing time is great but i would suggest you confine him to crate or pen to ensure he feels safe and cant get into trouble....

keep asking Qs thats what DOL is for :D

Shih tzu are a wonderful breed and give so much joy. I own 2 and have a litter of puppies that are 4 weeks old. As previously posted he has been with a group of other puppies and doesnt have to fight over food. They are only a small dog and a little bit fills them up when they are young. It also could be the food if he's not use to that kind of food.

Thank you for all your replies :walkdog:

I really do appreciate it. He ate his lunch and just had another tummy full and water :D I think I have a bit of anxiety myself lol. I've fallen in love with the little fella and don't want anything to be wrong with him.

I will look up the crate and pen ideas.. Atm I have him locked in the loundry when we go out. Nothing for him to get into their, except his toys.

The lady at the pet shop told me to be strong and that he has to learn about all the noises etc etc in the house and not to give into him when hes crying for me.

It is very true that you should not give into every cry or whimper for attention. When we first got our boy at 10 weeks he would sleep in the laundry, he only really carried on the first few times and after that he was very good only crying in the night if he needed to go to the toilet.

We have never done crate training but many here swear by it and you should definately check it out. We used the laundry at night or when he needed time out and for sleeping during the day.

After a while he got use to spending time outside on his own, for the first little while he wouldnt leave the back steps and if he whimpered and cried we would actualy shut the door....sounds mean and it killed us but he soon learnt that crying and scratching at the door made things worse.

As a recent member here with a new pup and needing to know lots of things its a good idea to spend a while just browsing some of the topics, you will pick up heaps of tips.

Do you have any pictures?

Do you have any pictures?

Do I have any pics lmao..Um yes, a few million lol

Here's a few for you :happydance2:

oscar1.JPG

Oscar5.JPG

He ate his breakfast this morning :mad He left some in the bowl.. however he just went back to demolish that down :D

Wow very cute!! a little mop :happydance2:

sounds like he is starting to settle in and get used to your routine :mad

Just remember you are the boss and he IS a DOG!! Reward wanted behaviour with a pat/play/treat and simply ignore the undesirable (be aware that telling off can also be a 'reward ' for some dogs as they have your attention!) - if you apply that to everything he will be a dream and very obedient :D

Edited by Akitaowner

Oh he's a frog leg puppy! Just beautiful.

Personally I wouldn't leave food in his bowl. What he doesn't eat in 10 mins or so remove and throw out. If he snacks during the day he won't eat meals and food will go off. Even dry food dries out.