Dremels

Toohey

I cheated

I got a engraver from bunnings for $13, it has a file attachement thingy, and i use it

(another DOLer put me onto it!)

I LOVE it!!

At wont let me touch his nails, he gets so upset, that it got the the stage i would dump him at the vets and leave the room so we wouldnt upset eachother

I can sit here every night and the engraver thingy and he does not care at all!!

His nails are usually horrible, long and yucky, they are still a bit long, but are looking heaps better!!

Toohey - admittedly I haven't gone to look at the one you've pointed to (on E-Bay) but I will say that when I made enquiries to purchase mine I was well advised to go for the one that runs the most smoothly and quiet.

I found the Dremel (in my estimation) to be the best. I went for the electric one because even compared to battery operated it was quieter still. Given my dog didn't like her nails attended to at the best of times, I wanted something that was the least likely to cause her unneccessary upset.

Although there are many who revel in the convenience of the battery operated types and I admit there would be a degree of relevance to that, I have not found the cord on the electric type to cause any difficulties in handling. But this is my own personal opinion based on my own personal experience with this one dog. For others it may well be different.

Don't know if you've seen it - I posted the link here a few years back and I've seen it being pointed to here several times since, but I did find a website giving tips on HOW TO DREMEL DOGS' NAILS. If you haven't already read it, I think you will find it quite informative and useful.

Another tip (which I don't think is in the link I've given here) is if you find it difficult to identify where the end of the quick is, moisten the tip end of the nail as you go. It shows up the colouring of the quick and makes identification much easier. I used to dab a bit of spit on it with my finger.

Edited by Erny

... there is a little tool on it that I use to clean the dogs teeth, it lightly vibrates on the surface and the tartar just falls off.. :rofl::) from me

Which "tool" piece do you use for this purpose, Roxiekda?

Ewwwww ..... don't know that I'd be game to do that on an unsedated dog. One slip with the machine and I could imagine the damage that could be done.

ETA: Not to mention the possible damage to tooth enamel if the "tool" used is not specific to dental work?????

Edited by Erny

Chazer yelps when I clip his nails (poor thing) so I bought a cheaper version of the dremmel. I was happy with it but it didn't last. I them bought a dremmel and the jump in quality is very obvious.

ooooo me me me....

i bought a dremmel over the christmas break for nails....

you need to make sure that whatever tool you buy it has a low speed setting (~5000rpm) otherwise it will get too hot on a nail in use. (i found many of the cheaper ones dont)

i found that the little golf cleaning kit (AA batteries) it cordless, little lightweight is fab - it come with just 2 heads ( for cleaning golf clubs!) so if this is all you want to do (the dogs nails) then this is fine - then by the drum sanding bit and the fine sanding papers all up about $40 i think and will last a lifetime :D

Mav hated the clippers and i was amazed/shocked/stunned he just laid down on the floor and let me file them!!! :rofl::eek:;) :) i thin he actually enjoys it ????!!!!! clippers went inthe bin same evening....

ETA link to kit: Dremel golf cleaning kit

where to buy - most good hardware stores - i got mine a in a little local mitre 10 - only coz my bunnings didnt have this 'kit'...

normally a cordless dremel is about $170...

Edited by Akitaowner

After reading a thread about Dremmels when we first got Flame (about 18 months ago), we decided to give it a go... and we havent looked back. She doesnt like it and sulks when we get it out, but she is okay when we are doing her nails.

I remember clipping the nails of previous dogs and what a huge trauma it was. This is SO much easier.

We already had a Dremmel, so it was just a matter of buying the right attachment. It's one with a cord and we have no issues with the cord.

EFS

Edited by jbbb

Chazer yelps when I clip his nails (poor thing) so I bought a cheaper version of the dremmel. I was happy with it but it didn't last. I them bought a dremmel and the jump in quality is very obvious.

I brought a cheaper one too but it just keeps going and going. I'm waiting for it to die so I'll have an excuse to buy a cordless dremel but I guess the one I have is built to last :D ;)

I went into Bunnings today and had a look at them, and came home with a set identical to the one on Ebay that I linked to earlier. It only cost $12!

I thought if it does the job and the dogs are OK with it, I can move onto a better model later on.

They are not happy with the whole vibrating thing, and only one would actually let me do it without too many complaints.

Will introduce it slowly, a bit at a time and see how we go. I tried it on one of my nails and it certainly does not hurt, but it is a slightly unpleasant feeling.

Thanks for the link Erny.. most helpful.

I want to try this as Eddie is petrified of getting his nails clipped but he is terrified of the electric toothbrush, so I don't think a dremel will be recieved any better

Edited to say, I don't use the toothbrush on him, he is scared of it when I brush my own teeth, I can't walk near him with it in my hand

Edited by shoemonster

Kal's nails grew like tree trunks .... concrete only managed to round them off but never wore them down. Had to file her nails every two weeks because her quicks would not shrink back. Consequently I was often merely maintaining them to a length in an effort to prevent the quicks growing any further down. Her nails were long enough as it was.

yep my boy always used to wear his down on the concrete and they dont grow too fast but we moved a little while ago and its all grass :eek: so ive had to start filing them but he has no problems with the dremel - i left it on on the floor for a bit for them first off then on to get used to (with no attachments so they could hurt their noses when they sniffed!) ignored it after a couple of minutes. :cry: