Dog Massage

shmoo

does anybody know of a good dog massage course or similar?

im interested in learning about massage/acupuncture etc, but only for dogs.

im in sydney.

also can anybody suggest any good books to read on the topic?

ive found a few on amazon that i think i shall buy.

I have partially completed a human Bowen course. Bowen is so much more than massage. Many masseurs actually go on to train in Bowen. There is a small animal course affiliated with Bowtech, which teaches closest to Tom Bowen's methods. I will find out the e-mail address for you, shmoo, & post it here when i find it ;)

Canine Massage - a complete reference manual by Jean-Pierre Hourdebaigt. Lots of photos and illustrations.

I would also recommend Bowen Therapy. I have taken my boy half a dozen times for Bowen, it does wonders for him and he loves it.

I'd suggest Bowen therapy also. The lady that does Maggie's bowen did a human couse then a animal one as she says that animals are easier to treat and she gets better results. She also does some physhic thing by touch I don't really believe in this or understand it but I have to admit it does seem to work well .

Edited by magthedag

Shmoo are you in my head!?!?! ;)

I was about to ask this very same questions as having a dog that is a ball of rippling muscles I need to know how to massage him correctly, poor bugger gets knots everywhere :swear:

ive been looking on amazon ruffles and there are soo many books i would like to get!!

lots of massage and healing ones.

There is a Canine Massage course that I have heard lots of good things about and I would like to do myself. It is run by the National College of Traditional Medicine and it is held in Melbourne but accommodation can be included in the cost of the package.

The course that Haven is mentioning is also run up here on the Coast. The last time they did it was November last year.

From memory there was a $495 2 day intro and then a further course which costs $1295. A friend of mine had them use her dog for practice and she loved it. I wanted to do it but had no money (always the way!!)

If you wanted to do it then you are welcome to stop over here to save on accomodation - we live 5 minutes away from the school

http://www.nctm.com.au/

edit - correct link and to say look at the Canine Myofunctional (NSW)

Edited by Winterpaws

If you come across the T-Touch book - I recommend it.

Linda Tellington-Jones - Is the author.

found it on amazon!

this one?

or this one?

The second one is the one I have.

I have not seen the first one, but do have another one for horses.

If you just want one for dogs, go with the second one. :banghead:

It has a lot of training stuff in it apart from massage.

The course that Haven is mentioning is also run up here on the Coast. The last time they did it was November last year.

From memory there was a $495 2 day intro and then a further course which costs $1295. A friend of mine had them use her dog for practice and she loved it. I wanted to do it but had no money (always the way!!)

If you wanted to do it then you are welcome to stop over here to save on accomodation - we live 5 minutes away from the school

http://www.nctm.com.au/

edit - correct link and to say look at the Canine Myofunctional (NSW)

thankyou!

i just looked at the details and it was last weekend!

also:

"Dog participation will be on Sunday only. Your dog must be trained and well behaved.

It is a requirement that students bringing dogs to class produce a current vaccination certificate and a copy of council registration form for each dog."

can i borrow a dog if they run the course again?!

If you come across the T-Touch book - I recommend it.

Linda Tellington-Jones - Is the author.

found it on amazon!

this one?

or this one?

The second one is the one I have.

I have not seen the first one, but do have another one for horses.

If you just want one for dogs, go with the second one. :)

It has a lot of training stuff in it apart from massage.

i think the second one is a much newer addition. will get that one, thanks!!

I've been looking at the course at NCTM too and am hoping to do the one in NSW in March. Has anyone actually done the course before or heard from anyone who has done it? It sounds great but its always good to get first hand feedback. Its quite an investment but could be worth it?