Chewing The Lead

Andoria1

For some reason my dog hates the lead, like if use the lead to go for walks he straight away tryings to put it in his mouth and

starts to chew at it.

Or if we are at home and we put him on the lead so that he calms down when hes naughty in the house, he will try to chew the lead off. How do i stop this. I tell him no when he dose this, but it dosent seem to work. And if i were to use chilly he has no problem as he loves chilly lol.

Any help

Or if we are at home and we put him on the lead so that he calms down when hes naughty in the house

Maybe thats the problem? He sees the lead as punishment? What is your body language/you saying when the dog is "naughty in the house"?

If its a pup or its not used to it, its quite normal and they soon get used to it and the idea that it usually means going out, and see it as a good thing. I had a lab who got so excited when he saw the lead he would try loop his own head through the collar!

My rotty chewed the lead as a pup. I stopped walking when he did it, and he eventually gave up. Although now when I tell him not to pick up stuff off the ground when walking, he gets upset and takes it out on the lead by chewing it for a little while.

My pup does this also, he is 14 weeks and I have been putting the lead on him in the garden for the last couple as we're going to start venturing the streets soon (after it stops pouring down). So i'm getting him used to it.

As soon as I put the lead on him it used to go straight into his mouth, we do not use a lead as any form of punishment as I don't believe that's the purpose of it JMO.

It takes a little time and patience but all I done is this.

Make him sit and stay so I could put the lead on saying "lead" as I bent down if he tried to grab it while putting it on i'd stand straight back up again as soon as he calmed I then repeated "stay" command bent down saying "lead" as soon as he let me put it on without mouthing it he get treat and praise! if he mouthed it was straight back to square one!

Now as for walking as soon as we moved the lead would be right back in his mouth again!

so for this as soon as he mouthed it i'd stop tell him to "drop it" this originally took a while as he was not trained in the "drop it" command but as soon as the lead left his mouth he was treated and praised again...it used to take a good 5-10 mins for him to drop the lead it is very frustrating and time consuming, but now when I put the lead on he doesn't touch it, he still has a little snap at the lead when we walk but as soon as I tell him to drop it he does immediately.

Hope this helps...this is why I suggest you give a week or two practising in your yard before heading the streets just makes it a little easier and more enjoyable for the walk...though he will have distractions so that is another thing he will have to overcome :)

Edited by nick&erica

Hi I would also smear the lead with something that they hate the taste off this should also stop them attempting to chew on it. I can't remember what I was recommended sorry, tea tree oil and something else? Maybe other members can recommend something? :)

:) give pup something to carry, OTHER than the leash :p

Pups don't have nice sensitive fingertips to explore textures with..so they use tongues and lips :hug:

..use a chain leash.. SUPERVISE him in the back yard let him drag it around for a while.., and after an attempt or two, he will decide that it doesn't feel nice in the mouth at all..and lose interest ! Then go back to the normal leash....with lots of praise for NOT touching it !!

Leash is for walkies.. not for naughties !!!! :rolleyes:

Lola used to like to hold the lead in her mouth, we just let her do it until she worked out it is much more fun to walk out front than hang about on a lead... She sees her lead come out and it is RAPTURES !!!!

Myf still hates having her collar/harness put on, but she has just learned to 'walk on' and 'come back' and going to get the 5YO from school is now becoming FUN !!!

All I can say is persevere..

I hate the chain leads but buy one & then do the training.It chews the lead because it can.Most people try to stop the dog by tugging the lead which turns into a tug o war game ,the dog wins & thinks its highly acceptable.

When the dog starts to chew what do you do??Make it sit,drop,watch ??

Yeah, I don't like chain leads either. My 20 month old lab also does it, well he doesn't "chew" it exactly, just likes to help me walk him, when we first start off on a walk (for the first 3 minutes) then he smells something nice and totally forgets about it.

I'd probably just try the dettol thing, or otherwise you can get sprays at the pet shop that are supposed to stop your dog chewing things, don't know if they work though.

I had some Pups grab the Lead whilst walking.In these cases,they were trying to take control.The most determined one has been my AB Pup.we would be early stages of the walk and he would grab the Lead.I would ignore it and ask him to walk faster or change direction.I would pay no heed to grabbing the Lead and he soon gave it up Tony

From my experiences puppies turn and chew on the lead because they don't know why we have leads on them. They don't know what walks are and they don't know what they have to be joined to you for. They are trying to get rid of it becaus it is new and annoying. Most dogs grow out of this because they soon learn that walking with their head down focussing on smells is more important! That is why alot of dogs still hold the lead for the first couple of minutes of the walk and then quickly focus on the grass and pavement. This is also why dogs who have the lead on in the house never tire of chwing it as nothing more interesting presents itself. My advise is to start all lead training off in the back yard where there are no distractions where you can hold a treat in fromt of your puppies nose and hold his/her attention away from the lead long enough for them to get used to the sensation of the lead on their neck. Short time frames at first where you aren't holding the lead then increase if to longer time frames where you change the direction and pressure you put on the lead. By the time your pup is fully vacc for the outside world you should see taht you get out the lead and they are not only used to it and done chewing but it also signals a time that in the past has meant focussing on you and means treat rewards. Make sure the rewards continue once youmove your walks to the street. All of this will help you be the focus not the lead and in the future you will still be more appealing than other dogs, cats etc. all the fun things you find on a walk.

I also feel that if they are just holding it, it dosn't hurt to let them walk with it in their mouth,as they tend to walk better when learning but this is IMO, cause as they get older they tend to not worry about it .

Just wondering how they get the chance to chew it up, if you are walking them?????????

Never had a dog do this thats why I ask!!

Not giving a hard time just curious!