2 Beagle Boys On The Way

adrilea

Hi everyone :o

My wife and I are counting down the days till we pick up our bundles of joy (I hope). We recently came across this website and it seems a great place for help and at the moment we have heaps of questions.

Some info - we both work and have a large backyard (hopefully dig proof).

Our intentions are they will be outside dogs but allowed inside from time to time (if they are good) and will need house training. So this is our plan for the first few weeks:

For the first few nights they will sleep inside hear us in their basket/mat while they adjust to their new home - lots of news paper and blocked off from unwated areas of the house. Then its time for outside at night time but inside during the day as much as possible to house train them, supervised of course. During this time they will learn the key words like "outside" for when we take them outside, "go potty" for when they do their business (with lots of praise and rewards) in a designated sot in the garden. Not sure if we should leave some newspaper down inside for just in case or would this confuse the going outside for toilet training.

Also during the first few days they will be introduced to their toys and bedding, wearing a collar, the big backyard (supervised), some minor introductions to their leash and the sit command with praise and food reward. I assume it would be best to do their training with one dog isolated from the other and take turns.

When they do naughty things we say a disappointing NO (if caught int he act), otherwise we clean up without a fuss with them out of sight.

OK thats long enough, we have heaps more but we really want to get off on the right foot. They will be heading to puppy pre school ASAP.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

Before you ask we are yet to decide their names :confused:.

Adrian

Edited by adrilea

G'day, Adrian, welcome to the forum :confused:

2 at once, eh? You are definitely in for a handful! :o May I ask why you're getting two at once, and from where? I'm presuming they're litter mates?

You're probably better off having them settled where you want them to be at night straight off rather than confuse them. Commands are good, this needs to be done from day one, which you intend doing, and do them separate to each other, because they will certainly distract each other very easily.

I have two beagle boys myself, but I got them at 6 months apart as advised by their breeder. There are plenty of other beagle people here with loads of advice - at the mere sniff of a newbie with beagles they get found out pretty quickly :D

You might find it easier if you crate train your two - do a search as there are loads of threads on it. I don't personally, but I suspect with two pups at once you'll find many people would advocate this in your situation.

You'll also want to be very particular with toilet training or you'll have double trouble - outside to the designated spot immediately upon waking, immediately after meals, immediately after playtime, and any other time you think of it :D

Good luck - and we'll be demanding pics! :confused:

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah they are litter mates and are pretty close mates.

To be honest we know nothing about crate training but plan on doing some reserach into it as I have heard it mentioned a few times now. But with them being outdoor dogs our initial instincts are not to use this method. Having said that, we plan on getting a pen for inside for when they are inside and unsupervised.

Pics will definately come.

Cheers

Edited by adrilea

Hi adrilea, welcome to DOL and the wonderful life with beagles :confused:

First off, Caff is right we can sniff out newbie beagles from any where :D I have 2 girls myself.

You sound like you have a plan so you are infront straight away :o Just remember that there are going to be accidents and things that won't go to plan. If you are ready for that and understand it you will be fine.

Can I ask which state you are in? You will have to think of the pups at night and make sure their environment is suitable for new babies. IF you put new pups outside from early on remember they may stir each other up and play at inappropriate times. This may include play barking and exploring which may lead to digging and or finding things to chew. I would start crate training from day one even if they are to be outside dogs. The crate can be put outside when you want to move them out and having a familiar safe place will help ease them into moving out. My girls use their crate as a kennel substitute. Also if you were to holiday with your pups you know they can be crated if need be without them freaking out.

As for training, you will start well as you seem to know FOOD is their weakness :confused:

Looking forward to hearing more about your pups and definitely seeing the pics when they arrive. If there are no pics we won't help with any more info :D

Thanks for the replies guys. We are in SA and finding a Beagle breeder here that has pups or even thinking about having pups proved rather difficult.

Yeah food seems to be number one for Beagles for sure. Just like pics are for you guys :confused:. lol - so instead of food rewards we will give pics rewards :confused:

Which is fine but alas we dont have them yet - 22 aganising days to go. Mind you, we need every one of those days to get ready for them :o.

Thanks for the replies guys. We are in SA and finding a Beagle breeder here that has pups or even thinking about having pups proved rather difficult.

Yeah food seems to be number one for Beagles for sure. Just like pics are for you guys :confused:. lol - so instead of food rewards we will give pics rewards :confused:

Which is fine but alas we dont have them yet - 22 aganising days to go. Mind you, we need every one of those days to get ready for them :o.

Where abouts in SA are you located?

Thanks for all the replies guys. We just want to do the right things from the start to hopefully makes it easier for us and the pups down the road. We decided on 2 so they can play together and not get into trouble in the backyard while we are at work. This will either work or be DOUBLE TROUBLE :).

Thanks for all the replies guys. We just want to do the right things from the start to hopefully makes it easier for us and the pups down the road. We decided on 2 so they can play together and not get into trouble in the backyard while we are at work. This will either work or be DOUBLE TROUBLE :thumbsup:.

LOL, the most damage i have heard of pups doing was siblings in a yard together for long periods of time. Was definitely a case of double trouble. Hopefully this is not the case for you guys.

The main thing I would suggest with 2 pups at once, especially siblings is giving them 1 to 1 time with you to enable them to develop bonds with you as well as the 1s they will have with each other. This can be training them, having some play times, short car trips and when they are old enough short walks. Also it gives them each a chance to get used to being alone if the need ever arises - you never know when 1 may need a vet stay or who knows what, so it helps if they have had chances to get used to being on their own. Give the pup being left outside alone a stuffed kong or nice bone to chew on to keep them busy and make being on their own a good experience.

Good luck!

Our local Vet does puppy pre-school - no idea if it is good or not but we will see.

As for giving them individual special time - that s a very good point Piper. We want them to be able to be on their own if need be - plus I am sure it would be good for them to spend some time apart from one another. Your suggestion of making sure the other one is having a good time is excellent. All these tips make sense but its hard to think to do them in the first place,, especially when we are newbies to puppies.

I can see many more trips to the pet store.

Oh another question. We plan on getting them a very large kennel for them to share and if/when the need arises we will get another one down the track. Is this a good idea? We are hoping it will be big enough to cater for 2 adult Beagles but are not sure.

1 kennel will be fine even as they grow believe me.

3sleep.jpg

On the concrete area where these 3 are, were 2 kennels and 2 more of these hessian beds, did they want their own space? No of coarse not :thumbsup: I have loads of pics of my girls sharing their beds and kennels with all our foster dogs cause beagles just love company.

EFS

Edited by Freckles

Oh I did not mean trips to the pet store for advice - I meant trips to the pet stores for all the goodies for them to eat/play with. Sorry for the confusion.

BTW Freckles very cute pic. As for the kennel we are looking at a Petmate something or other - large - cheapest seen has been in Big W and Bunnings. We may raise it off the concrete a bit as well. A hessian bed might be a good idea as well.

Oh I did not mean trips to the pet store for advice - I meant trips to the pet stores for all the goodies for them to eat/play with. Sorry for the confusion.

BTW Freckles very cute pic. As for the kennel we are looking at a Petmate something or other - large - cheapest seen has been in Big W and Bunnings. We may raise it off the concrete a bit as well. A hessian bed might be a good idea as well.

Oh right, sorry for the misunderstanding :scold: However please don't patronise pet stores that sell puppies or kittens :rofl: