Eukanuba?

"feeling like a dummy" I find the information about how much to feed on the dry bags very confusing. I was looking at a more expensive brand of food and what it said to feed my 24kg 8mth pup was alot and I thought of the expense so I have stayed with what I started with at the moment. Do these measurements take into account what else you feed them? Or are the measurements for just feeding them dry without the extra's?

I also have to agree on not always going off the back of the bag. My Eagle Pack says to feed my dog 5-6cups per day. He gets max 3.

I have been feeding a lot more raw - you can pick up 2 chicken carcasses from a supermarket for about $1 - plus i also go to a Butcher Wholesaler and get gravy beef, bones and chicken wings.

A big back of the Eagle Pack Holistic is $110 and last me around 2-3 months with two dogs.

"feeling like a dummy" I find the information about how much to feed on the dry bags very confusing. I was looking at a more expensive brand of food and what it said to feed my 24kg 8mth pup was alot and I thought of the expense so I have stayed with what I started with at the moment. Do these measurements take into account what else you feed them? Or are the measurements for just feeding them dry without the extra's?

I find this confusing too... if I was to go by say what Royal Canin Recommends, a $90 bag would only last 2 months. Versus what we feed them at the moment, which costs us about $20 a month. They're only little dogs as well! I can't understand when people say that a 15 kg bag lasts a big dog about 4 months... I guess I'm working it out wrong.

I get angry when people imply that I don't want the best for our dogs. I have been researching extensively over the last two weeks on ways I can improve our dogs wellbeing. I was simply asking for people opinions on Eukanba, as at the moment it is a much more affordable option for us. People keep insisting that the premium options aren't really that much more expensive. Well tell me then, how much will it cost to feed two 7.5 kg dogs for a month on premium food?

And I am looking into other options. We already feed them meaty bones 5 times a week, but at the moment I wish to supplement this with dry food, as I don't believe that I should be changing their diets too drastically too quickly. I also want to do a lot more research on feeding dogs fruit, vegies and yogurt as this is obviously not something they have genetically evolved to eat, nor have they eaten in the past!

Hmm so a 15 kg bag would only last 2 months... well assuming I was to feed straight dry food, which I won't be... Can anyone tell me how much a 15 kg bag would set me back then?

this really is doing my head in

Edited by carousel266

Carousel - I have a 5kg dog and a 7kg dog and a 3kg bag of Eukanuba adult maintenance lasts them about 10 weeks. This is their primary diet but they do usually end up with some extra food (chicken necks etc) on most days). I think the retail price is around the $25-$30 mark for that particular bag.

You will find that the estimates on the side of the bag are often very generous and you may struggle to feed even half of what is listed for a dog in a particular weight bracket.

Many (if not most) of the reccomended feeding rates are very generous.

To ascertain the pricing/quantities you 'may' be feeding of a particular food you will need to assess the current condition of the dogs, the condition you will be trying to achieve or maintain, the exercise/activity of the dog, any supplementary feeding you may be adding to the food and the current diet.

And I am looking into other options. We already feed them meaty bones 5 times a week, but at the moment I wish to supplement this with dry food, as I don't believe that I should be changing their diets too drastically too quickly. I also want to do a lot more research on feeding dogs fruit, vegies and yogurt as this is obviously not something they have genetically evolved to eat, nor have they eaten in the past!

What makes you say that? Sure yoghurt is something I add for my dogs about one week in four, b/c of the probiotics more than anything else. A wild dog would eat the entire carcass of its prey if it was lucky enough and in the case of a lactating prey animal, that would include its udder contents. :)

Veg and fruits are found in the intestinal tracts of prey animals too. Therefore, dogs are quite naturally evolved to eat these plant materials, as long as they are provided in a pulverised form and fed only every second or third day.

Why not have a look at some of the raw feeder's books? You could try Dr Ian Billinghurst (where I started on the raw feeding journey), or Tom Lonsdale...both excellent introductions to the natural diet for canines.

Dogs definitely haven't evolved to eat processed (cooked, ground) corn, for example. But so many people still feed it in the dry foods they give their dogs. Without a second thought either! Yet to suggest a raw, whole foods diet to some people is just ridiculous b/c they've not familiar with canine dietary requirements other than "open a bag" - most people couldn't decipher the nutrition panel or ingredients list on the average bag of dog food...but it's SO important to know what you're feeding your dog/s.

I know exactly what my dogs eat b/c it's in its relatively "whole" state - chicken parts (wings, feet, drumsticks, carcasses etc), lamb flap or neck, kidneys from cows and sheep, and whole vegetables and fruits. And it's all human grade, first quality b/c I buy it where I buy my own food. These few simple yet highly nutritious ingredients make up the bulk of my dogs' diets and they do exceptionally well on this method of feeding. It's very cost-effective too! :eek: And you did say that cost is a factor...as it is for many of us! :eek:

But if you want to feed processed, feed one of the super premium foods such as Nutro, Nutrience, Dick van Patten's, Royal Canin or Eagle Pack. It's much less expensive over the life of your dog/s. :eek:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just been reading this post and thought hmm i wonder how much does my dry food recommend to feed my girls as i never thought to much about it, well have the bags here and wow what a shock!!

I have two dogs firstly a 25kg Collie x Border collie she is 8 mths old she gets fed 1 1/2 cups of Nutrience junior puppy medium breed dry a day and 3/4 of a BARF pattie, the bag recommends I feed her 2 2/3 - 4 1/2 cups a day :thumbsup: Jeepers she'd be massive even without the BARF. Now a 3kg bag lasts around 18 days at 170 grams a day and costs about $25 so this equates to approx $1.35 a day plus $1 for the BARF = $2.35 a day to feed her.

Now to my little 4.6kg 6mth old Minifoxie, she gets fed 1/2 a cup of Nutrience junior puppy small breed dry per day and 1/4 of a BARF patties (so nice they can share!) the recommened daily feeding portion is 1 - 1 3/4 cups a day, what a tubby little pup she'd be :thumbsup: With the same size bag using 60 grams a day this $25 bag will last 50 days at a daily cost of approx $0.50, add $0.35 for the BARF and total feeding costs a day for this little one is a whopping $0.85. not bad imo :)

Sonovagun

• 3 months later...

Ok shoot me for being dumb..... :rolleyes: but what is a BARF patty? I have read about them and want to try my dogs on them. How do I make them.

BTW I have had my dogs on royal canine (vomited for 2 days even with slow change) supercoat (loved it but I felt guilty it wasnt the 'best' food), advance (very good they loved it, solid poos, so I loved it too) now going to try eukanuba. If they ok on that I will then choose between euk and advance for on going feeding (depending on their reaction, cost, coats, eyes etc and poos)

They also get a couple of chicken frames every couple of days.

But back to the BARF pattys, any helpers??

thanks

On the subject of yogurt, not all dogs can digest it - Gomez gets a wicked case of the runs if I feed him yogurt - so we stay away from it - maybe he's "lactose intolerant", who knows... Some dogs can have it and not have a problem at all...

I have tried it with my two, but they had a major case of the runs and I havent given them it since.

I am currently feeding Euk to my three small dogs at home, and they are going great. My 13 year old Silky that had itchy skin, hardly ever scratches since being on Euk, and my 12 week old Silky has a gorgeous shiny coat.

Euk's stock supply is always good, but can't say the same about Royal Canin or Eagle Pack (great products though). But choose what you think your dog would do good on, and not what other people insist you should do, cause everyone's opinion is different.

I just quickly skimmed over this thread but I didn't see anyone recommend Coprice.

This is actually a very good mid range dry food, made with Australian grown rice and is all natural with all essential vitamins and nutrients etc.

$33 for a 20kg bag - and I have never fed my dogs according to what is recommended on the pack - the younger dog gets a small cup a day and the older one gets 2/3 of a small cup - plus chicken carcasses and bones with fruit, veges, eggs, sardines, yoghurt etc.

By the by, I get a carton of chicken carcasses (20 in a carton) for $6 from a local wholesale petfood outlet - that is such cheap dog food!!

:thumbsup:

Edited by Duncan+Dougal

I have two Staffies they are about 18 kg, I feed them 100grams each of Euka a day mixed with 100grams each of mixed and cooked chicken mince, mixed vegetables and rice. Plus they get bones and chicken wings during the week.

I put them on this diet after one of my staffies had a cruciate ligament done and they have both lost nearly two kilos each and their poos are much better and I would say their general health is better. I have found the Euka to be great, and I also had the problem of trying to find the right and best food for them and it all becomes really confusing as everyone has different ideas. Euka is more expensive than the supermarket brands but it works out not too bad when i did the sums, plus one of my Staffies was the fussiest eater, but now she licks her bowl clean. Hope this helps.