Night Time Barker

Rhi

I'm sure you guys have read this question plenty of times before. I went through previous forums and didn't find my answer.

My boy is an outdoor dog... we've had him a week now (he's a 9 month old black lab), by the third night the neighbour felt it was nessccery to complain to us about how noisey he is and how 'he back all night long'... wrong... do they think we don't live there? He gives about 10 warning barks at them when they turn there lights on during the night, the most has been three times in one night.

My problem is when we go out to give him a gruff NO, he hears us coming and stops barking and waits by the step to be praised. I ignore him and go back to bed. Is this method going to get results? I don't see it as a problem as he is only doing his duty but I want to do the right thing by the neighbour.

I'm putting up a vision barrier tomorrow to try to minimise the problem.

Any ideas?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with putting the dog in the laundry. But other suggestion would be to give him a distraction, try giving him kong with vegemite inside, hopefully he'll be to busy to notice the neighbours light. The vision barrier sounds good too. Good luck.

All my dogs are confined at night, I have five dogs here and can't afford to have dogs being noisy while neighbours are trying to sleep. None of my dogs make a sound, you may find that crating the dog or locking it in the laundry will solve your problem.

All my dogs are confined at night, I have five dogs here and can't afford to have dogs being noisy while neighbours are trying to sleep. None of my dogs make a sound, you may find that crating the dog or locking it in the laundry will solve your problem.

Bringing him inside is not an option but I will investigate into crates.

Thankyou

Not meaning to be rude, but I am just wondering why bringing him inside at night is not an option? Dogs are pack animals, and really prefer to be as close to their humans as possible. He would be quieter and more settled inside at night, and also more comfortable in extreme weather.

I may be wrong but I don't think Miranda was suggesting crating him outside, but rather bringing him inside and using a crate if you don't want him to have the run of the house.

Not meaning to be rude, but I am just wondering why bringing him inside at night is not an option? Dogs are pack animals, and really prefer to be as close to their humans as possible. He would be quieter and more settled inside at night, and also more comfortable in extreme weather.

I may be wrong but I don't think Miranda was suggesting crating him outside, but rather bringing him inside and using a crate if you don't want him to have the run of the house.

Our laundry is really to small for such a big boy and would be cruel to leave him in there all night. I'll give creating indoors ago. Do you think this will stop him barking if were to let him back outside in the future?

Rhi:

Our laundry is really to small for such a big boy and would be cruel to leave him in there all night.

Considering he is supposed to be sleeping I can't see a problem with it providing he has room to turn around and lay down :cry:

You're not wrong, that's exactly what I meant :cry:

I'm sure you guys have read this question plenty of times before. I went through previous forums and didn't find my answer.

My boy is an outdoor dog... we've had him a week now (he's a 9 month old black lab), by the third night the neighbour felt it was nessccery to complain to us about how noisey he is and how 'he back all night long'... wrong... do they think we don't live there? He gives about 10 warning barks at them when they turn there lights on during the night, the most has been three times in one night.

My problem is when we go out to give him a gruff NO, he hears us coming and stops barking and waits by the step to be praised. I ignore him and go back to bed. Is this method going to get results? I don't see it as a problem as he is only doing his duty but I want to do the right thing by the neighbour.

I'm putting up a vision barrier tomorrow to try to minimise the problem.

Any ideas?

I once was against crating :cry: I was nieve and be the first to admit it, Now I wouldnt have it any other way. My dog loves his crate and as long as he can see us, and hear us, he is quite happy to stay in there. Now he is a little older (10 months) we just say bed and thats it, off he troots to his crate.....

Like you said he isnt barking just for the sake of barking, so he isn't really doing anything wrong...If he can't see the lights coming on outside then he isn't going to want to bark..

good luck ;)

By you getting up and going out to him to tell him to knock it off, he'll soon associate if he hasn't already that barking means you come out....whether that be a negative or a positive thing it doesn't matter...attention is attention.

I personaly don't understand outside dogs, but lot's of people do it....I'd be interested in hearing your rationale though.

To me dogs are pack animals and are best suited to being with their pack....more settled.....but that's my theory and what works best for us.

If I were your neighbour, 10 barks would piss me off too at night....10 barks doesn't sound like much but understand it from your neighbours point of view they may very well be concerned that the barkin ay get worse, feel thankful they have actually notified you to give you a chance to fix it before going to the council.

If all else fails I would pop a JetAir collar on him to prevent the barking, however I'm not a big fan of just chucking a no-bark collar on a dog without first finding out the reason why the dog is barking and then taking steps to rectify this. If your dog is barking when your neighboours put on their light then clearly your dog is not settled sleeping outside.

Now, in addition you have taken on an older puppy, when this dog was with its' previous owners were did it sleep?

Still not understanding why the dog can't sleep inside, but why not just crate the dog in your living room?

Every foster dog we've had hasn't been an inside dog before and have all settled to sleeping inside within 2 days....what's the big deal?

I don't understand why have a dog if it is left outside.

even a guard dog needs to be inside to catch out any one trying to get in from all sides.

He is baby he needs to know you love him.

Going to him every time he barks trains him to call you when he needs you. lol

I agree with the others about bringing the dog inside, and crating works really well :cool:

My 3 are crated at night, in the spare bedroom, not a peep until morning :D When I start crate training a puppy, I put the crate in the bedroom, so I can hear when puppy gets up and needs to go to the toilet. It generally only takes a few nights for them to get the idea and not cry in the crate.

The laundry would work too if you don't want to use a crate.

When I got my first dog my dad was adamant that she would sleep outside. That didn't even last the first night with the whinging she did :( Belle ended up being the only one of my dogs to sleep on my bed :laugh:

:cool: What is so wrong about letting her boy sleep outside? If she says he can't be inside then it is her choice, maybe she is renting and she is allowed to have pets, but they have to be outside? ( this is happening more often than not!). She needs suggestions, not to be jumped upon with advice that really isn't going to help her ( except the crate thing, which she can also do outside).

Didn't see anyone jump on her.....did see people ask why the dog can't be inside though....reasonable question in relation to the topic.

Jack....crates are for inside not outside....the problem would not be solved by puting the dog in a crate outside.

Jack, also as previously mentioned, dogs are pack animals, if we want to have well balanced dogs in our homes we should treat them as what they are....a pack animal......if there are no behavioural problems and the dog is absolutely happy outside then so be it.....that's my opinion....you don't have to agree with it, it's a public forum....lot's of different opinions....doesn't mean anyone is jumping on anyone :cool:

I rent....my dogs are inside....I wouldn't rent a home that wasn't suitable to my dogs, if there were absolutely no rentals that would allow the dogs free run of the house I would neogiate crating at night :D

edited for my normal typos :(

Edited by sas

Hi Jack@sandysmum

Even when I was renting and was only allowed the dogs outside, the landlord had no problem with me crating the dogs inside. It's not like they were running around the house. Actually for some things, especially when renting, I don't see how else you could do it? When we had plumbing problems and they needed access to the yard, or when someone was mowing the lawn, we would have been really stuck without crates! Tradespeople do not appreciate friendly dogs jumping on them and running around when they are trying to work, and they often leave gates and doors open.

Crating outside will not help the issue as he will still have the stimulus that is causing the problem now. Most landlords, even pets outside only, will agree to crating a dog inside at night - the dog is not free in the house, he is in his crate, therefore no mess etc in the house which is what landlords worry about. Laundry is a good alternative as every laundry I've seen is bigger than a crate, can be blocked off, tiled or laminated floors etc. However, some dogs do chew at doors etc and cause damage so a crate is better for these dogs.

People recommend crating indoors simply because it works. Even the most unsettled dog will usually settle within a couple of days.

:cool: What is so wrong about letting her boy sleep outside? If she says he can't be inside then it is her choice, maybe she is renting and she is allowed to have pets, but they have to be outside? ( this is happening more often than not!). She needs suggestions, not to be jumped upon with advice that really isn't going to help her ( except the crate thing, which she can also do outside).

I wasn't aware that I had 'jumped on her', I simply recommended that she confine the dog at night and the best way to do that is to put the dog in the laundry or have it crated inside. BTW crating the dog outside would be a waste of time as he would still be aware of whatever is causing him to bark.

Keeping dogs inside at night is the best and most simple solution for night-time barking however as the OP has since replied that having the dog inside is not an option she will have to try something else such as an anti-bark collar which may or may not be effective.

Ok, maybe the jump on her remark didn't help, but if Rhi already said the pup couldn't be inside, then we need to give her some other things to try out.

.....that's my opinion....you don't have to agree with it, it's a public forum....lot's of different opinions....doesn't mean anyone is jumping on anyone smile.gif

And I gave mine too and people have disagreed, I don't hold it personally. When people come on here and are looking for support that is what we should do.

Rhi, I see you have only had him for a week, what other things have you tried? (i.e. comfort things?)