Staffy With Itchy Behind

I brought Bean, my 13 month old Staffy, home about 10 days ago. Today was one week since he was desexed. For the last two days (approx) he has been maniacly rubbing his bottom along on the grass, dirt, carpet, mat etc. I am not sure if this is itchiness/uncomfortableness from the castration or impacted anal glands or an infection. Any help/advice would be appreciated!

• It has been one week since his desexing; the internal stitches area looks good with just some general redness.
  • For the first 13 months of his life (until I adopted him) he lived on canned food and the occasional chicken neck and assorted bones; I don't know if he has suffered impacted anal glands before.
  • For the last 10 days he has been eating the BARF diet, with chicken frames, assorted fully-edible bones, raw vegetables etc etc. I weaned him off the canned food over the first three days.
  • He has had minor diarrohea (interspersed with normal poos) for two days or so.
  • His anal area looks a little red - possibly from the friction/rubbing?
  • All other health aspects are good - he has not vomited, is definitely not dull or listless, loves his food, loves his walks, and has settled down well in his new home with me.
  • The bottom rubbing mainly occurs after he makes a sudden lurch to his feet, like he has a sudden itch; occasionally he will be calmly sitting down outside when he does it.
  • He gets a "bigger" edible bone when I head off to my part-time job during the week, to keep him occupied for a little while; this is generally part of a lamb neck. Could a bit of bone have aggravated him on the way out? Or still be stuck in there? Should I be upping his weekly dose of vegetable oil to help him?

Any advice and comments would be appreciated... as a first time dog owner (have had family dogs before but at age 28 this is my first dog just for me) everything is a bit new and a little overwhelming! Thanks :laugh:

Thanks for that... I just got back from a walk with Bean and have remembered a few things I should have mentioned! He was wormed during his checkup the day after I brought him home (9 days ago) so I don't think it's that. Also, I have seen him straining occasionally when going to the toilet.

post-11976-1173774689_thumb.jpg

I would get a vet check up.

how many bones does he get?

I know if i feed mine a few too many, they have troubles going to the loo.

I love the name as well :) do you have any photos?

Thanks Terrorbull... We went to the vet this afternoon. It's not worms, has nothing to do with the desexing and isn't his anal glands. The vet thinks it's a food allergy which is aggravating his gut. I'll be feeding him a bland diet of cooked chicken and rice for a week or so, to see if that stops the scooting. I'm thinking it may be a beef or lamb allergy, as it's only been in the last 5 or so days that he's been getting that, and the scooting etc started three or four days ago. I guess I'll just have to do an elimination diet...

I'm glad you like the name! I get a lot of positive responses about it - even the vet nurses call him "Beanie Baby" sometimes, like I do! You just can't help it... he's so cute! I've attached a photo taken last week.

dogs are icky

How is the staffy now?

They definitely are icky! Bean is much better now. He's on an all chicken diet at the moment with some mashed pumpkin and carrot for tea to keep up the vegetable side of things. He gobbles it all up and looks for more!

I hope to post some photos of him soon in the Photo section. He's been with me for just over a fortnight now and it's all still a little overwhelming. He's a great dog in so many ways though, and that is definitely helping... he just needs obedience training and help with kicking some bad habits he seems to have been allowed to get away with in his previous home (mouthing and jumping up in particular, which look deeply ingrained and may take awhile to stop).

I know how you feel with the mouthing, Molly was the same, slowly slowly she is getting better with it

When in Vic are you? Will you be joining an obed club?

When I first got him home the mouthing was constant whenever he was extra happy. I didn't do what I should have done right at the start, which was stand up and walk away, ignoring him. I just moved my hand out of the path of his mouth. Now that I immediately stop giving him attention and walk away, I have noticed lessening in the mouthing but he definitely still does it if I forget to be calm when saying hello etc.

I'm in Bendigo. And I will be joining the local obedience club... my sister is an instructor there so she will hopefully be giving me some good tips (I'm sure she wouldn't want me to embarrass her)! We start Beginners Class on the first Sunday in April. I've already started training him at home to walk calmly, sit and wait. He learns quickly apart from a tendency to pull a fair bit when walking and to be distracted by anything and everything - people, dogs and cyclists in particular!

I have the jumping problem, not with me, but with visitors, they think it is fun to rev the dogs up, then complain when kaos keeps jumping on them

idiots!

As for the jumping problem, Terrorbull... that doesn't seem to be getting any better at all! It's obviously something he's been allowed to do all his life. He still jumps on me whenever he feels like it, especially when he wants to get my attention. I've started to tell all my friends and family to turn around and ignore it as well, otherwise I don't see any way he'll ever learn it's not good to jump.

i had a GREAT teacher at dog school, she just stood there, ignoring kaos jumping on her, told me to do NOTHING, she stood, Kaos jumped, i didnt think she would EVER stop jumping.

the second her 4 paws were on the ground, Kate leaned over and treated her. Then went back to ignoring her till 4 paws were o nthe ground.

Kaos LOVES kate,rushes over to her now, you can see her whole body wiggleing with excitment, but her paws will NOT leave the ground because she knows she will get ignored!

i had a GREAT teacher at dog school, she just stood there, ignoring kaos jumping on her, told me to do NOTHING, she stood, Kaos jumped, i didnt think she would EVER stop jumping.

the second her 4 paws were on the ground, Kate leaned over and treated her. Then went back to ignoring her till 4 paws were o nthe ground.

Kaos LOVES kate,rushes over to her now, you can see her whole body wiggleing with excitment, but her paws will NOT leave the ground because she knows she will get ignored!

What a great story! I think I may have to start carrying round a bag of treats with me 24/7...

My staffy x loves to jump too and I found that nothing I did would stop her. I ingorned her, I turned my back to which she would promptly scrape her claws right down my back, every time :cry:.

In the end I got a water spray bottle, she doesnt like water sprayed on her so she got a few quick sprays in the face if she jumped. Now all she has to do is see the water bottle and she is bum down. Not only that but I say 'settle' and she drops her bum to one side and looks relaxed lol.

I could only wish, my girl LOVES water

i dont do it now, but when i first got her (And At) i always had treats on me, ALWAYS, easiest way to get them to do what they are told, just remember, IGNORE what you dont want them to do, when they do the right thing PRAISE them ASAP!!

Thanks everyone! Though ignoring him doesn't seem to be helping overly much, and I'm about to post a request for help about two of his bad habits in the General section. I had no idea Staffies could be such little terrors (looking cute all the while)!