Hard Lower Stomach

I have just checked the dogs before going to bed and Jaida didn't come to the door like she usually does. Checking her over she has a hard abdomen and when I gently had a feel she whined. She is still trying to eat (she found something on the ground) and is still happy to chew her toys.

She looks a bit uncomfortable and her tummy has expanded a little, but other than that she's normal. At first I thought bloat, but the only dry food she's had today was 1/2 a cup 13 hours or so ago. Her tummy isn't drum like either and she's not distressed.

I checked her again and she's not whining when I touch her tummy now. Is it possible it's just a build up of gas or something?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a paranoid one so I would say vet now! A similar thing happened to our girl just before Christmas. She had been off her food on/off for about 2 weeks. She doesn't normally whine so for her to whine after food was unusual. Ended up that she had picked up some sort of virus and she ended up on a drip because she was dehydrated. Her stomach was slightly hard that morning (hard to tell if it was swollen). I had rushed her to the vet that morning thinking possible bloat.

Also, I understand with bloat that some people are questioning if it actually related to what/when a dog has eaten. It is also my understanding that in the initial stages the stomach doesn't sound like a drum - to me it would be enough for the stomach to be hard/swollen to get the dog to a vet.

Thanks SwaY :rainbowbridge:

I've just spoken to a vet as I had to make a payment on an account anyways. He seems to think as she's still wanting to eat and play and is only mildly uncomfortable (she was only showing pain when she first moved this morning) that she's just constipated.

So now I'm on the hunt for some paraffin as I've read that softens things and works pretty fast. Anyone know where I can get some of that?

If she's still not OK obviously she will be off to the vet :cry:

Edited by shekhina

:rainbowbridge: @ SwaY

I've just gotten back with the paraffin, I hope she takes it easily or else I'll be syringing the stuff down her throat :cry:

cavNrott, Jaida is happy to be sleeping in one spot, she's not at all restless. She's more just walking a bit slower, little bit stiff and is a tad slower getting up and down. She just looks uncomfortable some of the time, but she's still playing, still hoovering anything possibly edible and is comfortable.

Hopefully it's just constipation!

How long should the paraffin take to work? I don't want to leave her inside when I go out for a bit soon if she's going to have to go to the toilet, I don't want her getting panicked. But I don't want to leave her outside with the boys while I'm not here either in case she doesn't want to play.

paraffin takes between 12 and 24 hours to travel through the system..it is not a quick fix!!

an enema is obviously the quickest relief.... best done by the vet . Not pleasant!!

Oh..paraffin tastes not nice....sometimes can be mixed with a little mince or canned stuff ( or sardines) If you syringe it..take care! if it is aspirated it can cause problems. Do it VERY slowly!

Edited by persephone

Thanks persephone. I did speak to the vet earlier today and he recommended trying the paraffin before bringing her in given her symptoms.

If it doesn't work she will be going to the vet for treatment :cry:

ETA: she took the paraffin out of the bowl herself...complete hoover :rainbowbridge:

Edited by shekhina

She's had a second dose of paraffin about an hour or so ago. No movement at the station and a hard lower abdomen still :mad

She's currently harassing Gomez, so she's still feeling absolutely fine within herself.