Clicker Training

clicker training - check out the links on my webpage - also check out poodle wranglers thread 'clicker training DVD's' I think I posted one there..... If you need more - they are on my computer at home :rofl:!

You can also do a search on YouTube- enough there to make a start. What do the more experienced trainers think of the clickertrainusa.com guy?

Karen Pryor's (clicker guru) is American and the DVDs aren't cheap is USD + post. There's a download by Kay Laurence here http://www.learningaboutdogs.com/pdfs/getting_started.pdf.

I've bought a couple of clickers with wrist bands online. Can't wait to start.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL - i'm loving that everybody is loving clicker training.

The clickertrainusa.com guy (boy that is long to write!) is ok. Most of the points he raises are good, but his training can get a little sloppy in some areas. I've only watched a couple of vids though..... The one where he was 'teaching a new command' was just silly....

LOL - i'm loving that everybody is loving clicker training.

The clickertrainusa.com guy (boy that is long to write!) is ok. Most of the points he raises are good, but his training can get a little sloppy in some areas. I've only watched a couple of vids though..... The one where he was 'teaching a new command' was just silly....

Leopuppy have you seen this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW5mRswhURU...ted&search=

where the trainer gets the dog to learn to shut an open door with his nose using the clicker... it's long but what a great result! I :rofl: clickers :rofl:

Hi all, I must say I think a bit like Amhalite (spelling wrong I know LOL). I don't use clicker but think everyone should give it a bit of a try. Actually, that's not true. I don't use clicker for my DOG. However, I've recently started clicker training my cat. She also gets it right away like the dogs- only prob is finding a food reinforcer of high enough value as she is a fussy slow eater. Here's what I think. Clicker is superb if you don't feel that you can mark as exactly with your voice or a word. The dog hears the same sound every time and there's no mistake. Do others agree with me that this is why they pick it up so quick? With voice, there is the potential to say the release word too late, or with an unintended inflection that might confuse the dog.

HOWEVER, the inflections are the very reason I much prefer to train my dog using my voice. I use 'Yes' as the release word and there's just so many ways you can say it depending on how strong you want the dog's reaction to be. So... a complex skill completed, just before another complex skill and I give a quiet 'yes'. A full on release during heeling and it's 'YES!!!.

I was wondering, being new to clicker training, has anyone heard of using softer or louder clickers depending on the exercise with your dogs? Maybe the same principle applies. I'd love to know. great topic!

I was wondering, being new to clicker training, has anyone heard of using softer or louder clickers depending on the exercise with your dogs? Maybe the same principle applies. I'd love to know. great topic!

Nope I haven't heard of anything liks that. Mind you both my dogs have been worked with a soft and loud clicker and they respond to both in the same way :rofl:. I think it is our body language as well that helps with the "YES" when they have done really well :rofl:

Here's what I think. Clicker is superb if you don't feel that you can mark as exactly with your voice or a word. The dog hears the same sound every time and there's no mistake. Do others agree with me that this is why they pick it up so quick?

I think one of the reasons that dogs pick clicker up so quick is because the sound is so distinct. A clicker click sounds quite different to anything else a dog normally hears, they can't help but pay attention to it the first time they hear it. And since the first time the dogs hears it he gets a treat, he makes the association between click-treat really quickly and easily.

Whereas with your voice, most people talk to their dogs all the time whether or not they're training, and the dog gets used to hearing (and ignoring) the sound of the voice. When the person starts conditioning their voice as a reward marker, they first have to overcome the fact that the dog has already learned that the sounds of their voice is normally irrelevant. So it generally takes longer to teach the dog to pay attention to the verbal marker than to the clicker marker.

That's my theory anyway. :rofl:

I think that a verbal marker and a clicker are both good tools to use, they just have different strengths and different weaknesses. Like most training tools, one might suit a particular dog or situation better, and the other suit another dog or situation better.

I agree with that theory Amhailte

I kind of use both, Click for good, click and yes at the same time when they are really good, and click, yes and me jumping around and cheering when they are really really good! :rofl:

I kind of figured I need the yes to be known as well as the click, for times like obed when the clicker isn't allowed (one of my clubs allows it, the other doesn't)

No big deal about the dog closing a door using a clicker have taught two of my dogs to do that.

Tia doing it with her paws

Moses using his nose to close a door

Your dogs are just too smart :rofl:

BTW, Tia the BC pup is gorgeous! :thumbsup:

Amazing. I have trained my SBT by voice and reward commands, but she is becoming a little lazy. This could be the thing to pep her up, and teach some more commands. She is 18 months old.

Are the eBay clickers ok to buy? I saw one here

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Triple-crown-clicke...1QQcmdZViewItem

And this one (15 avail!! $5.20 all up)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Clicker-for-trainin...VQQcmdZViewItem

Amhailte, I think you're right! It makes sense, the dog is already conditioned to your voice, the clicker is a totally new sound and this makes the connection quicker. I can see that it would also be less cumbersome to use clicker and voice than two levels of clicker sound. Just shows I've never used clicker with dogs before :laugh: The reason I've chosen to use the clicker with the cat rather than a word is cats (well, my domestic moggie anyway) can be so easily spooked by sounds and the regular click of the clicker is not so distracting and easier for the cat to work out its a marker. But... what a lazy worker she is compared to the dog LOL!

Amazing. I have trained my SBT by voice and reward commands, but she is becoming a little lazy. This could be the thing to pep her up, and teach some more commands. She is 18 months old.

Are the eBay clickers ok to buy? I saw one here

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Triple-crown-clicke...1QQcmdZViewItem

And this one (15 avail!! $5.20 all up)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Clicker-for-trainin...VQQcmdZViewItem

Here is another great place to get clickers http://www.blackdog.net.au/accessories.php - their service is great.

The i-clicks are more popular these days as they are easier to click. A trick too is if you get one of the small girls towling hair ties you can attach it to your finger and click it easily without having to hold on to it.

Skyhaven - The i-click is also great if you want to use it while show stacking as you can click it with your foot keeping your hands totally free

I believe there are few ways the clicker is better than using a word - firstly the dog perceives the sound better and there is no emotion to the sound and you know exactly how good or bad your timing is with the clicker, it is more clouded using the spoken bridge word

Have a look at this article, very interesting http://www.clickertraining.com/node/226

I just read the article! Very interesting indeed!

• 1 month later...