How To Stop Pup From Removing Washing On Line

busybuster

i have a 8mth old great dane who for the last week has just started removing my washing from the line. just wondering if anyone has had any success in resolving this problem??

also interested from people with giant breeds what toys, activities etc they use while in backyard alone. he is walked twice a day and is given bones etc for chewing but would love some new ideas.

thanks

melinda

Hi...

I guess for your pup, the tough toys would be good.

have you tried ice-blocks?

freeze a couple of sardines, or something in an icecream container with water. turn it out, and leave for pup to play with , until it finds the treats.

Kongs can also be frozeb when filled :laugh: My dogs love frozen stuff :laugh:)

You can look here for different toys.... I am not recommending any, or the site..just lots on the one page :)

http://www.ozpetshop.com.au/index.php/cPath/21_35_93

as to the washing...all I can think of is balloons blown up, and on long strings...BANG!!!! :rofl:

I fostered a Lab that thought the clothes line was great fun

I got some old stockings and filled the ends with chillis, they were the only thing that hung on the clothes line for 3 days

She learnt they taste yucky and leaves things alone now LOL

as for GD toys, big ones LOL

Lots of people recommended to me plastic garbage bags filled with water and hung of the corners of the hills hoist. We have the bags hanging lower than any of the washing, so when they jump up and grab the easiest item... the bag tears and the water gives them an unexpected suprise.

This is a great method and has worked for so many of my friends but it hasn't worked for us because he was watching as we filled the bags and then hang them out... he's a smart dog and knows not to go near them.

So our problem preveils, I'll be trying the chillies in a stocking soon... I'll just make sure he's not watching! :laugh:

Guest Pandii

Over the last 2 years I have tried everything to keep the washing on the line

Now I have 1 electric wire that runs 20cms off the ground right around the clothes line

No more washing off the line

Over the last 2 years I have tried everything to keep the washing on the line

Now I have 1 electric wire that runs 20cms off the ground right around the clothes line

No more washing off the line

*has mental picture of a dark and rainy night...a mad rush to get clothes in....wire still switched ON...... he, he, he :laugh: *

*cough*

sorry

senior moment.

The water didnt work for me as my mally loves water and pulled extra clothes off in the hope of getting wet lol

But the chilli in the stocking did the trick.

As for toys anything big and robust he loves a kong with peanut butter but his favourite is an old tractor tyre.

We peg the bottom of all our stuff up so if we hang jeans normal so say the legs are hanging down, we then peg those up as well. We do this for everything we hang on the line.

Sam has gotten used to not pulling things down now and we can go back to 'normal' hanging lol

Guest Pandii

I still stand by electric fence

$200 is alot better than replacing sheets doonas wool jumpers and school clothes

I dont even turn mine on anymore unless I have strange dogs in the yard

You could try not hanging washing out when the pup is in the yard. :)

yep my thoughts exactly, or if washing is to be hung out and puppy cant be watched then crate or pen puppy till washing is dry and then let loose in backyard again,

good luck with it :rofl:

That is not always possible, especially with children, full time work and daily washing. The poor dog would never get out of their crate ;)

You could try not hanging washing out when the pup is in the yard. :D

yep my thoughts exactly, or if washing is to be hung out and puppy cant be watched then crate or pen puppy till washing is dry and then let loose in backyard again,

good luck with it :eek:

That is not always possible, especially with children, full time work and daily washing. The poor dog would never get out of their crate :)

I was just thinking exactly the same thing, with so much washing to do there is always washing on my line and I have 2 BM puppies who LOVE denim :thumbsup:

I folded the clothes half over the line including towels and wound it up as high as it could go, it worked for a while but my line is really old and leans on one side. I tried the balloons with water, but I have a dog who loves water so was a fun game for him.