Excessive Stomach Noises

SwaY

Sway sometimes has excessive stomach noises, louder then her snoring :clap:

It doesn't always happen, it doesn't bother her at all.

She sleeps or plays through it, lasts 1-2 hours.

Like human stomach noises, just alot louder!

The nexy day her poo is normal, so i rule out upset tummy.

No change in diet or routines.

Any idea why? :)

Sway, I'm unsure why some dogs have a louder tummy noise, but in two of mine that had a history of 'gurgly' tummy, both went on to suffer bloat (but did not torsion)

Now if I hear the 'gurgles' I give two DE-GAS tablets straight away (available from supermarkets ) and the gurgles subside.

With our breeds, its also a good bet to divide the meals into two, we feed in the morning & evening. Where you mention she plays through it, I'd lock her up for at least an hour, and tummy disturbance combined with exercise can be a GDV risk. Also NO exercise after meals.

Of course it may not be anything serious, but with the deep chested breeds, I'm always super cautious. What are you feeding by the way ?

fifi

Thanks for the tips, she is still on 2-3 feeds a day.

Dry and raw.

No exercise before and after meals.

It's a werid sound will have to record it i think.

When she has the sounds i pay more attention to it.

When i say she plays throught it, she is not running around etc.

It's play time on her mat etc

When you give them these tablets, how do you give them?

In water or straight?

Thanks again

:) sorry Sway....the tablets are straight down the hatch !! they are disgusting if wet !!

your feeding / exercise regime sounds fine, she might just have a noisy tum ! I'll ask my boss next week at work about the noises.

fifi

Please follow fifi's advice and discuss this with a vet. It sounds worrying for the future. I'd be researching bloat and having an emergency plan just in case. I believe there is something you can get from the vet to be administered in the first stages of bloat that will slow things down so you can get help. Someone on here may knowsuggest what this is.

Also a diet change may be called for.

Thanks Kaz,

We have an emergency bloat kit which includes notes, pictures, tubes, ky etc.

I also have the 24 hour emergency vet just up the road.

I also have there number stuck all over the house.

Iv'e read up on it many times, the opinion/advice always changes, which doesn't make it any easier.

Some things work for some and not for others.

Iv'e spoken to 3 vets, they all offer different advice on bloat, same with breeders. :rolleyes:

I would have thought if it was diet, it would be happening all the time.

As i mentioned it doesn't always happen, maybe once every 3-4 weeks. ( I note her food, and nothing regular happens on those days )

Im always home, when she is fed as she is kept quiet before and after.

I will follow it up with the vet next week, and ask about the bloat "something". Hopefully he will be able to tell me what it is so i can let you know.

Thank you :rofl:

Oscar has had this once as well...

The noise went on for about 2 hours and I thought something was seriously wrong.. But he was fine.. He slept through most of it..

It hasn't happened since...

After reading the above I think I will mention it to our vet the next time we go in anyway, just to be safe

Maybe gulping water combined with food?

I really don't have a clue what it could be causing it..

Nope water is taken away.

I have no idea either, i was thinking since no routine is happening it was just one fo those things.

It happens to people, so why not dogs :rolleyes:

My little Jack has this sometimes too. He is 1 1/2 years and i have heard this noise 3 times. It sounds like a humans tummy gurgling, except really loud! It didn't seem to bother him, his stools were fine, (I thought tummy upset too), and it lasted about an hour. I never really thought about it once the noise dissapeared. Will ask my Vet about now that you are all mentioning it! :thumbsup:

Sway, both my Ridgebacks have had this, Reg now gone to the bridge was a huge dog, lots of people thought he was a Great Dane. We just used to say Reg has rumbly tummy, it was regular and he would not eat until it calmed down. No gas, no runs just rumbly tummy. My new RR has the same thing and goes off food, however I have found with him if I offer a tasty morsel and can get him to eat it cures the rumbles. So my conclusion now is when they have an empty stomach. He used to get it a lot more as he was growing up and I used to have to feed him a small meal around 5am to settle him all that fuel burnning with growth. With Reg, I tried to take him to the vets twice but it has stopped by the time we got there.

Reg did get bloat once. There was absoultely no rumbly tummy before the episode. I too live near an emergency centre thank Dog. It is weird and it can be so loud. I would have loved to know the real cause rather than guessing. Empty stomach may in fact be nothing to do with it except it never happened after or a meal. I feed raw by the way.

• 9 months later...

I was just searching gurgly stomach noises and this thread came up. I have a great dane cross pup (5 months) who just joined us this week. SHe has had 2 episodes of the loudest gurgling stomach I have ever heard. She isn't eating much at all (still settling in I think). Did anyone work out what was causing it and if it was a problem at all? It is really loud....it woke me up last night, but she was fast asleep.

Edited by Snoopy21