Herding Instinct Test Saturday 12th May - Kcc Park

Congratulations, glad to hear the news. I knew Tia could do it.

Way to go CTD & Tia

Were you nervous?

Did you let Tia off the lead or didn't you walk in the ring with the lead?

Who was your judge?

Now wasn't that easy?

Have you entered for Sunday?

See you at a Herding Trial one day

Here is a video link of what we did.

Yes it was easy, yes I was nervous, I walked in the ring with her on a borrowed long lead. The judge was from South Austalia, no I haven't entered for Sunday. Will be doing the next trial.

Edited by CrashTestDummy

Unless Im mistaken that's Judy Allen judging, she judged one of our HIC's a few weeks back. Nice lady :wave: .

Wow, you had to do so much less than we did for ours ;) pity I didnt get ours on video. As a comparison, the time elapsed for our 3 dogs were 4 mins 39 secs for Jarrah, 3 mins 21 secs for Jonty & 6 mins 28 secs for Ebony.

Congrats on Tia's HIC, she looks like she's going well :) .

The 2nd test was even shorter we didn't have to do all that lead work at the start. Some dogs couldn't do the control exercises but got some instinct and were passed. I also had to get Tia to change direction in the 2nd test, I didn't have a rake, so I just used my arms and it worked. Tia also has a funny reflex action in her back hind leg. When you touch her there it lifts right up in the air. At the vetting she lifted her hind leg in the air. I filmed it today at home. So you can see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrNrbZRGOVo

Edited by CrashTestDummy

The 2nd test was even shorter we didn't have to do all that lead work at the start. Some dogs couldn't do the control exercises but got some instinct and were passed. I also had to get Tia to change direction in the 2nd test, I didn't have a rake, so I just used my arms and it worked. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrNrbZRGOVo

CTD - Congratulations to you and Tia.

I am actually giving ANKC herding a shot next Sunday - I did a bit with Tex in early days before we ventured into three sheep trialling and he is doing his PT test (entered twice) I have read the rules over and over again - am I allowed to walk with him and his sheep during that test? I assume that I stand to the side of the gate while he (hopefully) puts them through though.

Also doing the HIC with my old girl Laydee - again entered twice - she is an out and out three sheep trialler - has penned with 80+ in the past and even penned with me at our last trial. Kind of crazy that we have to do an on lead test but hopefully we will get through it and eventually get on to the more interesting stuff. Do they provide the leads or do we have to bring them? If the latter I will need to make something this week.

Cheers

CTD - Congratulations to you and Tia.

I am actually giving ANKC herding a shot next Sunday - I did a bit with Tex in early days before we ventured into three sheep trialling and he is doing his PT test (entered twice) I have read the rules over and over again - am I allowed to walk with him and his sheep during that test? I assume that I stand to the side of the gate while he (hopefully) puts them through though.

Also doing the HIC with my old girl Laydee - again entered twice - she is an out and out three sheep trialler - has penned with 80+ in the past and even penned with me at our last trial. Kind of crazy that we have to do an on lead test but hopefully we will get through it and eventually get on to the more interesting stuff. Do they provide the leads or do we have to bring them? If the latter I will need to make something this week.

Cheers

Yes you can walk through the gates in PT if you need to but it sounds like it won't be a problem for you :rofl:

I agree it seems silly with a dog that has trialling experience in another venue that you have to go back to IC but alas these are the rules :)

It depends on the organisers if the leads are supplied or not, here in SA we have a few available for handlers to borrow. Maybe contact the trial manager and check?

WorkNBCs, as Piper has already said, you may walk through the "gates" with the dog &/or sheep, but you don't have to.

Good luck with the PT, sounds like you should do it easily, I doubt you will have trouble with the HIC either, its pretty basic :) .

I have one burning question though......what does it actually mean?

Nothing more than the fact that your dog has shown the instinct to herd I guess - this is a trick question, isnt it? :rofl::)

I have one burning question though......what does it actually mean?

Me too. What does it mean?

Nothing more than the fact that your dog has shown the instinct to herd I guess - this is a trick question, isnt it?

Does a dog get a title after its name just from showing some form of instinct to herd? Dont they have to do anything else?

Nothing more than the fact that your dog has shown the instinct to herd I guess - this is a trick question, isnt it?

Does a dog get a title after its name just from showing some form of instinct to herd? Dont they have to do anything else?

Technically it's not a title, it is merely a certificate which states that you are now qualified for advancement in ANKC herding. (does that make sense? :) )

They don't have to "do" anything else at that level because it is merely showing instinct.

There is no title for HIC anly a certficate. The reasoning behind it is to show that the dog has some working instinct and the handler has a little control (though I don't really think a controlled stop and recall on lead is the same as offlead with sheep) before progressing to the tests.

Yes you can walk through the gates in PT if you need to but it sounds like it won't be a problem for you :thumbsup:

I agree it seems silly with a dog that has trialling experience in another venue that you have to go back to IC but alas these are the rules :)

It depends on the organisers if the leads are supplied or not, here in SA we have a few available for handlers to borrow. Maybe contact the trial manager and check?

Thanks Piper (and also MrsD) - I will play it by ear on the day depending on what the sheep are like and only walk through the gates if I really need to (nice to know I have that option).

Off to make a 5m lead for my old girl - I just hope she stops when I ask :) she has a tendency to creep slightly but not normally when she is right next to me. No point in putting her in a sit or drop as they are not in her vocabulary. And yes, I know it is in the rules and so we are abiding by them but wouldnt it be nice if the ANKC mob and three sheep guys could agree some form of mutual recognition for achievements in the other one's field.

Hopefully it will be a fun day and it will give me a chance to look at how the A and B courses are done by some of the dogs that have been in this for a while.

Cheers