Barfers - What Mince Do You Feed?

Mr R & Miss NR

i will have to get in touch with you to let you know what day i can make it and maybe we could catch up for your lunch break ?

we just have a small freezer and it has like 3 drawers, so one is for half ours half Maia,

the other is for Maia

the last is for us.

i also love to have frozen meals for us, so i can just cook rice or pasta etc... otherwise i resort to too much take away :rolleyes:

used to be fine without Maia LOL

but now we need one of those freezers the size of a fridge LOL

hmmm maybe a second hand one would do for now?

just i also want one that is power efficient.

our little one is about 20 years old!!! and still goes great, if only it could grow like our dogs LOL

Here are the details for Pet Chow.

Pet Chow: 903a Springvale Road Mulgrave. 3170

Melway Reference Page 80 A4.

( Near JayCar )

Open Times: Mon - Fri 9:30am - 5:30pm

Sat 9:00am - 2:00pm

Telephone # : (03) 9548 2796

Fax # : (03) 9548 2796

Phone Orders Welcome.

Isisi, thank for the address. Will go and visit.

Ooonga, I only get 1/2 hour for lunch :rolleyes: Not long enough but better than spending and extra 1/2 hour at work. An idea on a freezer, they are selling small 3 drawer freezers at Kmart at the moment. When I was there a few days ago they were $224. I got mine from there but it is a chest freezer, mine came with a 3 year warrantly. Mistral I think and it is fine. You could have that one and Maia could have the old one all to herself :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

hey all i was just wondering if this mix is an appropriate food for barf diet (as well as adding bones etc)

500g 1.5kg

With chicken, vegetables, cereals, seafood,cheese, garlic and Best Pet's exclusive mix of nine nutritional herbs &

spices (no rice or pasta) kind of vague i know.

found a pet food shop close to us and the people are so nice! www.bestpet.com.au

just wonering if this is ok as barf diet. also would this be just the meat part of diet or veggies as well or would more veg need to be added?

Personally I would kick these "cereals, seafood,cheese" I would also want to know what the herbs were. To me BARF is about knowing exactly what your dog is being fed.. Just my opinion. Cereals and grains can cause skin problems too and again, my opion, don't have a place in a raw natural diet.

Our mince is human grade direct from the butcher we get our own meat from. We get beef and kangaroo.

I personally wouldn't trust any form of 'pet' mince not only could it contain a different meat source to the one stated or some 'extras' :laugh: it also contain nasty preservatives generally sulfur based.

Edited to add; We also get all the bones from the butcher and the chicken carcasses from the local gourmet (free range) chicken shop.

Edited by Hazz

Total food for the day should be based around 2% of the body weight and I go by these ratios

:laugh: I guess that would vary for different dogs depending on their metabolism. I just worked that out and if I fed my girls that little they would disappear!!!

Very true NAO, the % of body weight needed to be fed depends upon the dog's metabolic system, breed, age, growth state, activity, environment, current weight/condition and objective weight.

I feed human grade full fat beef mince. I add it to the veggie mix that the dogs get one day in three.

I chose beef because the dogs get so much chicken via their RMBs. They also get lamb and pork RMBs.

The only time I fed my dogs a prepared meat/veggie mix from a butcher, Lily got chronic gastro. The vet said it was probably from preservatives. :laugh:

PF post prompted made me think I should say that the mince we get from the Butcher is not a pre-mix, ours is a preservative free mince we pick up from the butcher on the day they prepare it (it's a standing order), which we then make our own mix out of.

if anyone lives on the western side of melbourne, the Biaida chicken place pipe road laverton has great prices for chicken frames, necks.

6 kilo box of necks $9 6 kilo box frames $6 and if you join there club its free you also get 5% off everything as well.

Worth it if you buy in bulk