Barfers - What Mince Do You Feed?

I use mince from the supermarket, human grade. I don't use pet mince as it often has lots of preservatives in it. You use very little mince in BARF though as meaty bones are better.

P.S. I actually wrote 'human mince' at first :thumbsup:

we get our mince from a pet supplies, and its chicken mince (the whole chicken bones and all).

we also buy the mixed variety... chicken and sardine, chicken and liver, chicken and vegie etc and use one of those a couple of times a week.

I use the same meat as Shooey, from Pet Chow in Mulgrave. The new mix is:

human grade ingredients including fresh beef, lamb & chicken without preservatives and artificial colours, fresh fruit and vegetables, Yalna yogurt, fresh egg's, kelp, Omega 3,6,9 oil, and vitamin C.

Guest Pandii

I fed lenards chicken mince, beef /lamb mince from the butcher pet grade

I also feed roo mince to the adults and I mince my own rabbit meat

I use the same meat as Shooey, from Pet Chow in Mulgrave. The new mix is:

human grade ingredients including fresh beef, lamb & chicken without preservatives and artificial colours, fresh fruit and vegetables, Yalna yogurt, fresh egg's, kelp, Omega 3,6,9 oil, and vitamin C.

Oh and it has chicken bones in it too

I dont give my 2 normal bones as the 2 times we have I spent the whole night up with Ed with him puking up little pieces of bone all night

ETA that sounds dumb, my normal i mean anything that isn't chicken bones

Edited by shoemonster

Shoemonster and Issis,

how much of that mince do you give a day?

do you only feed that mix?

or do you also give other Meaty bones for a second meal?

lamb necks etc....?

how much would a 38kg dog need of that mix? if also eating lamb, chicken meat bones etcc

Total food for the day should be based around 2% of the body weight and I go by these ratios

Raw Meaty Bones 35%

Meat 45%

Offal 5%

Veggie 10%

Treats 5%

The offal and veggies are included in that mix so it would be 60% mix and 35% meaty bones (I use chicken frames)

So for a 38kg dog it would be roughly 450gm of the mix per day and 260gm bones (1-2 frames)

That is the way I do it, I'm sure there are other ways and ratios but that one works well for my 2 :rolleyes:

Shoemonster,

thanks for that :rolleyes:

how much does the mix cost? is it per kilo or can you buy in bulk?

i really have to get down to this place!!!!

you wouldn't really need to feed anything else would you?

I dont feed anything else

It's around $5.95 a kilo and the frames are about $10 per 10kg box

The performance mix we used to get (mince and veg) was abotu $3.95 I think, but when you consider all the extras this has and how much less hassle it is, it's great

I buy once a month and keep it in the freezer, isiss goes there once a week lol

i will make an effort to go down next week when i run out of stuff in the freezer, i don't have any room anyway to put anything in there really LOL

we sooo need a bigger freezer!!

i think you said the guy is really good with advice as well didn't you?

will have to talk to him about which would be best for her

i have been giving her mince from Robbo's pet barn, but would be sooo much easier to just give it all ready made!! i think that is between $2-$4 per kilo depending on which meat you get for a kilo as well, so would work out about the same, just less hassle :rolleyes:

Shoemonster, just looked on whitepages for Pet Chow and only found Mulgrave Pet Supplies, 903 Springvale Road, is that the same place? Got me very excited I love finding new sources for their food. And I work in Mulgrave.

Ooonga, will see you down there and yes I need a bigger freezer, dang dogs just kept growing :rolleyes:

In answer to the OP's question, mostly chicken from butchers, ground up with bones, ox cheek & roo plus RMB's. Agree with Shoemonsters list except I feed a bit more in the way of RMB's, maybe 50%.

Haven, I used to use Megapet but they put preservative in the meat. You can order Rabbit preservative free but you have to let them know about 5 days in advance and they will do it for you. That was a while ago before they moved.