Who Wants To Pick On Leopuppy!

Hi Guys - I really appreciate all of the tips! I am still a little out in the open about the hand signals. My judge at Knox actually said to me "you have trained a dog to UD before haven't you".... and I said - no Leo is my first :thumbsup:..... he thought my hand signals were perfect for UD, yet not for Leo, so I took a step back :). I don't think he is reliant on hand signals as I can call out drop in heel and he will drop instantly, so I don't think he relies on me dropping my hips or anything. Either way - i'll give it a try on the smaller signal!

Looking good Leopuppy. I picked up the same thing as Dogdude (which he told me off about last weekend, lol) and I would maybe like to see you shorten your stride a bit before turns etc. It just looks a bit smoother, but it might be the video!

Looking good Leopuppy. I picked up the same thing as Dogdude (which he told me off about last weekend, lol) and I would maybe like to see you shorten your stride a bit before turns etc. It just looks a bit smoother, but it might be the video!

Nope Jules - your 100% correct coz EVERYBODY tells me to do that :(... problem is that when I get nervous the stride either gets too short or far too long ;) Too much for me to think about!

I was watching my vids from Nov last year and my drop signal was a lot smaller - I might go back to that as my body language seems to be more confident too! But i'm pleased to see a little improvement in him too -nowhere near as much gawking - I squirm when I watch his first vid :thumbsup: . His turns also seem a little tighter, but could still do a little bit of work.

LOL - maybe he isn't my dud obedience dog after all!!! LOL.... perhaps just a dud agility dog - Need to get a vid of that so that you can nitpick that too :) ;)

trust me - there isn't too much between the ears! You blow and you can hear whistling :thumbsup:!

But he is biddable! And consistent - which are 2 very helpful traits :(:)!!!

LOL - hey even if he was a dud obedience/ agility dog, he'd still get away with it coz he is cute enough too!

I was watching brock today -he looks good!!!

Thanks CTD!

Actually - when my camera is on video mode, it WONT zoom!!!! Silly thing :o. Methinks my next investment will be a video camera.....

honestly the things we buy for our dogs........ 1/2 my salary goes down that drain.

Aside from the normal stuff I've bought a camera (to take cute doggy pics :() , looking into a new car (coz they don't fit in the current mini car :)) and now a vid camera.

dog # 3 will be very expensive as i'd have to buy it a new house :( :D!

i have a video camera for sale i am unable to get the footage onto the puter though as my puter cant handle it but it has come in very handy for trianing and watching back i have the usb cable etc to put stuff onto the puter but am told i need a firewire set up and my putey just cant handle any more

Ok guys - thanks to Jesomil remembering and Shoey for taping - I got some footage of Leo heeling. I didn't realise my camera only allows for 1 min allotments, which is why it cuts off 1/2 way through.

It isn't his best heeling as we noticed (it is quite obvious!) that Leo was lame.... it really showed up in this sequence but it wasn't really showing up before. What a good little boy - still keen as mustard despite his sore leg :eek:.

I'd love to have some pointers etc/ let me know what you think - we are novice level :eek:

Be nit picky, but be kind too :cool:

Cheers :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfmHaP4uIII

Damm, I reckon you both look great ++++++.

Maybe shorten your stride before change of direction (as dogs are experts in reading our body behaviour) and before commands.

Top job. Very very very nice focus. Have you competed yet? Have you practiced without your dog, as in, a trusted friend watching YOUR movements?

Edited by Lablover

Damm, I reckon you both look great ++++++.

Maybe shorten your stride before change of direction (as dogs are experts in reading our body behaviour) and before commands.

Top job. Very very very nice focus. Have you competed yet? Have you practiced without your dog, as in, a trusted friend watching YOUR movements?

WOW - from you LL - I feel very proud :eek: :eek:! Yep we have competed in CCD and have just recently got our title :confused:.

Yes, will work on shortening stride - I notice I do that a lot. I also need to use a smaller step when I initially take off, coz it is HUGE!! LOL!

Yep, have practiced without a dog also and got great tips from that :D. Haven't done it for a while though.

RE limping:

It isn't his best heeling as we noticed (it is quite obvious!) that Leo was lame.... it really showed up in this sequence but it wasn't really showing up before. What a good little boy - still keen as mustard despite his sore leg :D.

After a few days rest he seems to be as good as new today - no soreness or lameness at all. We will take it easy this week though :D.

Thanks for the compliment also Helen! I still think we both have a loooong way to go :cool:

Amanda, I found with our camera if you zoom in when it's in photo mode and then switch over to video, it keeps it zoomed in whilst in video. You just can't zoom in and out, but you should be able to set it up before you start if you are working at a distance. Give it a shot anyway.

Leopuppy,

Glad to hear the limp has resolved. I have 5 labs, one retired, four competing. Recently..........it had seemed so strange.........as no vet visits had been required for months, LOL. Unfortunately the retired girl, who at 13 has significant arthritis, and is topped up from time to time with pain killers as well as her normal medication had a crisis, which has resolved.

In my experience there is always a reason for a limp. Hopefully your dog, like mine who limp from time to time, had simply a cracked nail, pad cut, or foreign body.

yeah - WMR - he did go running in the pen so that may have been it, but I didn't see anything when I inspected.

I think he hurt his shoulder or something - just a muscle sprain though as he has been 100% the past couple of days. I have a feeling the drought is affecting him coz all the grounds near us are soo hard and you can't stop him running at 100kms p/hr!! LOL!