8yo Girlie Peeing Inside.....

Okay I have been down the toilet training path with Max when he was a puppy and luckily enough he was pretty clever and responsive, so it took next to no time. ;)

Now with Cassie (my 8 year old rescue which I've had for near on 3 months) it's a different story. She has obviously NOT been an inside dog ever before. She is crated at night and we take her out first thing in the morning to pee. Sometimes she does.....other times she doesn't and I don't have hours to spend waiting for her to go. Repeat the process after dinner obviously.

She (Max too) is also outside all day when we are at work.

We had a run of about 3 weeks where she was brilliant and went outside to pee ;) We would treat and praise her and all was good :confused: Well I don't know what happened but we are back to peeing (not pooing) inside if not every day every other?

What can I do......? Help please?

Okay I have been down the toilet training path with Max when he was a puppy and luckily enough he was pretty clever and responsive, so it took next to no time. ;)

Now with Cassie (my 8 year old rescue which I've had for near on 3 months) it's a different story. She has obviously NOT been an inside dog ever before. She is crated at night and we take her out first thing in the morning to pee. Sometimes she does.....other times she doesn't and I don't have hours to spend waiting for her to go. Repeat the process after dinner obviously.

She (Max too) is also outside all day when we are at work.

We had a run of about 3 weeks where she was brilliant and went outside to pee ;) We would treat and praise her and all was good :confused: Well I don't know what happened but we are back to peeing (not pooing) inside if not every day every other?

What can I do......? Help please?

if you can catch her in the act and then pick her straight up and put outside that would be good. No good telling her off if you find the puddle later. Very frustrating when they do that after having been so good.

She might have a UTI. Take a sample of her urine to the vet for analysis.

Really? What are other symptoms of this in a dog?

Has there been a change or a trauma (thunderstorm)? One of my fsoter dogs regressed following a storm. Went back to basics and 2 days later she was fine.

No nothing at all has changed since we got her home (except she had a follow up op to remove cancerous mammary glands) but that was over a month ago now. :)

Once you've eliminated a medical cause (it's hard to get the total picture from the description), I find the best thing to do is train them to go on command, they will still go when they need to but when you want them to - eg bed time, long car trip etc, you can ask them to "go wees" and they will. Here is the method I use and I pass it on to my foster carers and people who adopt dogs from Doggie Rescue.

Girls are harder than boys because boys tend to mark territory (some girls do of course) so it can take a little longer and some breeds aren't as bright as others.

HOUSETRAINING TIPS

Ok - first thing to do is decide on the command (I call it “do wees”) you will repeat over and over. You have to really focus on the dog for about 2-3 days to be successful. You have a pocketful of special treats on hand all the time for the first 2-3 days.

Walk the dog several times a day and every time the dog wees, you get very excited and keep saying “Good boy/girl, do wees, do wees” – give the dog treats every time.

First thing in the morning, last thing at night and every time you see the dog eat or drink (both precursors to weeing) whisk the dog into the garden and repeat the command “do wees”. Get very excited and present treats every time dog goes.

The dog’s aim in life is to please you. If the dog should have an accident inside the house – say NOTHING at all. The dog soon gets the idea that when he/she goes outside you are really, really pleased and he/she gets rewarded.

In desperation, one of the things I did do was put my girl's face close to the other's backsides so she could smell what they were doing in the garden.

She's the only dog that had me sitting and crying because she was still pooping and peeing all over the place after such a long time.

Most unhousetrained dogs still poop in the house. Wee only is probably about something else.

SG when Cassie was at Mum's there was only one accident and we put it down to new enviroment etc.

Are they big puddles or kind of big dribbles, if you know what I mean :cry:

Maybe with the op's on the tumors, that she has had she may be a bit incontinant :eek:

Once you've eliminated a medical cause (it's hard to get the total picture from the description), I find the best thing to do is train them to go on command, they will still go when they need to but when you want them to - eg bed time, long car trip etc, you can ask them to "go wees" and they will. Here is the method I use and I pass it on to my foster carers and people who adopt dogs from Doggie Rescue.

Girls are harder than boys because boys tend to mark territory (some girls do of course) so it can take a little longer and some breeds aren't as bright as others.

HOUSETRAINING TIPS

Ok - first thing to do is decide on the command (I call it “do wees”) you will repeat over and over. You have to really focus on the dog for about 2-3 days to be successful. You have a pocketful of special treats on hand all the time for the first 2-3 days.

Walk the dog several times a day and every time the dog wees, you get very excited and keep saying “Good boy/girl, do wees, do wees” – give the dog treats every time.

First thing in the morning, last thing at night and every time you see the dog eat or drink (both precursors to weeing) whisk the dog into the garden and repeat the command “do wees”. Get very excited and present treats every time dog goes.

The dog’s aim in life is to please you. If the dog should have an accident inside the house – say NOTHING at all. The dog soon gets the idea that when he/she goes outside you are really, really pleased and he/she gets rewarded.

Great advice...positive reinforcement is the most effective way! I use 'quick, quick!' as a command and puppy gets loads of verbal praise....plus I have a particular area of the yard that I direct him to if he is only going outside for toileting...as soon as his nose hits the ground...GOOD BOY! An older dog can't possibly be expected to know the difference between in and outside so it's up to you to make toileting outside very appealing. Good luck!

SG when Cassie was at Mum's there was only one accident and we put it down to new enviroment etc.

Are they big puddles or kind of big dribbles, if you know what I mean :cry:

Maybe with the op's on the tumors, that she has had she may be a bit incontinant ;)

Mostly big ones (if we don't catch her in mid stream cos then they are small :eek: )

I agree and would have put it down to a new environment at first, but as we have had her for a few months now and she is still doing it I guess I have ruled that out. Especially after she had a 3 week (pee free zone in house :mad) I guess I am a tad concerned.

Though in saying that we had a pee free night last night :cry::mad:eek:

Medical condition aside, I have the same issue with my chi I got from a breeder at Christmas. The breeder did suggest I keep her outside (!) but she is a pet.

She was pretty good for a while and then relapsed...so, in wet weather, there is a reasonable chance of a wee inside if I turn my back/leave the room. Other times - it is sporadic. I try to take her out consistently and she gets night and morning walks. She knows how to use the dog door and uses it without prompting. Then, frustratingly, a puddle turns up. Sometimes 1 puddle for 3 days in a row, other times, nothing for days.

She is home alone all day when I work (3 days a week) and I very rarely find a puddle when I get home at 7pm.

She's 8, too. I think like most un-housetrained adult dogs she'll 'get it' eventually. I do praise profusely when she goes outdoors...but I might try the "on command" approach, with treats - she is an avid eater. It is so disappointing when the 'honeymoon' period for best behaviour ends!!!

PS it helps to have other dogs to show her the way.