Help Urgently

I_Heart_Schnauzers

She won't wee for periods of over 7 and 8 hours. Is this normal? I'm tyring to get her to go before bed but she won't. ;)

More information would be useful.

How old is the dog? Is she drinking normally? Does she have access outside? Do you watch her constantly inside?

She's 4 years old and I've had her for more than a week. She drinks normally I'm pretty sure and I take her outiside around 8-9 times a day. She only goes around 4 times a day.....I need her to go now because it's late and I don't want her peeing in the night. (She sleeps in the bathroom) ;)

OK, so not a puppy. You will have confused people by posting this in the puppy problems forum.

I'd say 4 times a day is pretty normal. I don't think my guys go more often than that.

I hope you've got plenty of warm bedding in the bathroom - it's a heat sink.

How long do you wait outside for. If you want her to go before you go to bed you'll have to train her and that may mean waiting out there till she goes and rewarding her for doing it. This may take a while initially.

Goodness! That's not very long to get her used to your routine. I would suggest you take her outside to a very boring area of the yard (preferably where she has toileted before) and simply wait until she goes - lots of praise if she starts sniffing. Then multiply that 10 fold when she goes.

In the long term, I would teach her a command. My not quite six month old lad will toilet on command - I use 'Quick, quick!' It's very handy in all manner of situations.

minis are very clean dogs & depending on what this girls routine was prior to you getting her i would say 4 times is normal.

Does she have access outside or is she reliant on you to let her out??

Was she a kennel dog or someones pet prior to you??

When shes out do you stand there or encourgae her,do you say anything,how long do you wait etc etc??

I train all adult dogs as I would a baby puppy and it has always been successful. If you take her outside, say your command "wee wee" or whatever and wait until she does wee and then reward her. My bitch always will go the minute she has finished eating. Make sure she has a dog door or open door so there are no "mistakes" in the house. I would also get up during the night and take her out (like a baby puppy) until she has established a routine.

Why is she sleeping in a bathroom? She should be sleeping where she will always sleep, on a comfortable bed out of the cold and draughts.

My 4 year old female Westie can hold hers for over 12 hours. It's a matter of choice for her. When I was in bed sick with all day long morning sickness, she came to bed with me and lay beside me at 8.30pm and refused to go outside for wees until 11 am the next day. I'm not so sure if she was loving up her mummy as opposed to being a princess and sleeping in for as long as she wanted to.