Tasty Kibble....

Hi guys,

I have a bulldog pup who is very fussy with her food.

I usually try and feed her a barf diet, but when I dont have enough time I leave her a bowl of nutro. Also tried supercoat, eukabana, eagle pack...

She doesnt really touch this, Ive tried mxing it with cheese etc but she still does not touch it....

I was wondering if there is a kibble that my pup might actually like?

Thanks in advance.

If she likes meaty food, maybe try mixing in mince? Or try and soften the kibble with a bit of water. The advice i was given was to moisten up the kibble with warm water and let it cool if giving more than 2 cups of dry food. Something to do with avoiding bloat. It also makes it softer for puppy teeth.

My Kaiser (3 month old GSD) eats everything! I only do this with his food if i give 2 cups and just because someone said that he may develop bloat which can be fatal! I dont know if he would, but i got scared enough to do it!

I have a fussy 2.5 year old Lab X GSD girl. She loves raw chicken. I mix in a bit of Royal Canin Lite with some Tuckertime chunks or mince. If she refuses that i give her extra chicken. Tuckertime is like those doggie sausages but of better quality than the supermarket brands. I get mine from City Farmers.

I take her food away after 20 mins to start teaching her that food will be taken away.

I only recently adopted her so her eating habits were not shaped by me!

Hope this helps.

My 5 month old standard poodle will leave kibble to be eaten only as a last resort, but loves fresh mince-veg-rice mix or leftovers (I'm careful it's not anything unsuitable).

If your pup's a healthy weight, I wouldn't worry at all about the occasional missed meal. She will eat it if she's truly hungry.

Our pup loves some canned tuna or sardines added to kibble, too. Or, even just the oil or brine over the top.

When you think that kibble has to stay "fresh" in a bag for months, it's no wonder it's not very tasty.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

My Onslow will second the yoghurt. He hates plain kibble but a spoon ful of yoghurt makes the kibble go down :flame:

I just get the plain low fat one, he loves it! if it's a mince night leaving the kibble dry he comes and stares at me until I get the yoghurt out to put on it and his tail wags - nope I''m sure he isn't spoilt :laugh:

Yep Ive tried most of the above, she will eat it with mince/fish, but really wanted a kibble that tasted good enough so that nothing would have to be mixed in.....

I guess theres no such product on the market....

I used to have problems getting my girls to eat their dry food I tried sardines which they ate but doesn't help when your in a hurry, they now get Nutrience and are happy to eat. I feed them just bikkies in the morning inside while I shower if its still there when i get out no breakfast (mum has a garbage disposal dog who will steal it when i leave lol) sometimes I drizzle a little gravy (comes free with the Nutrience) on top for Little one takes two secs to squeeze from a bottle! At night they get their BARF with bikkies and eat it all.

Chubbz, just smell kibble.

Dont smell nice to me, wouldnt get my taste buds movin!

well not all, my Nutrience smells like twisties to me.

but then again, a lab eats anything. :thumbsup:

eta: Hey sonovagan, who did you get the gravy from? does it come with the pack? I'd love some gravy! LOL

Edited by flycow

Yep Ive tried most of the above, she will eat it with mince/fish, but really wanted a kibble that tasted good enough so that nothing would have to be mixed in.....

I guess theres no such product on the market....

Think you're right. Dogs aren't stupid. She knows something tastier will become available :thumbsup: .

Have you tried Royal Canin Sensible.It's not specificly formulated for puppies but it is good for fussy dogs or sensitive stomachs.They also have one specially formulated for bulldogs which might help.All premium food has money back warranty if your dog doesn't eat it :thumbsup:

I tried this kibble that my dog likes and it was pretty nice. It was home-baked & all natural fresh product so even human can eat it. My bunch lovessss it, they even choke on it coz they try to eat it as fast and as many as they can before the other dogs get it. It's reasonably price ( $ 5 for 300 gr ) and well worth the money. I like it cause it's all natural and doesn't smell or taste like factory made kibble. Let me know if any one is interested to give it a try and I'll ask them for their trial pack, it's free, you only have to pay for postage to your address. They also give you discounts if you buy in bulk.

It was recommended to me by a workmate and I thought I just give it a go with the trial pack, my bunch went crazy, never seen them eat any kibble that quick. I think it's because they are fresh, all natural & not factory made, must have tasted better. They also cater if the dog is alergic to certain things, which is great. To me, seeing how my bunch likes it, it's money worth spend. :)