What's Really In Dry Pet Food

I had a look at the Large and Giant Breed Puppy Formula in the Eagle Pack Holistic range, and do like the looks of it. The protein isn't too high at 23%, which should promote slow and not rapid growth.

Now when they say Lamb Meal and Chicken Meal, what is that exactly, is that everything of the animal as Gomez the Norfolk was mentioning earlier? Or human grade only?

Also brown and white rice is the second and third ingredient, isn't the purpose to just be a filler?

Sorry for driving many of you crazy, but it's a very hard choice. :thumbsup:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gomez, not sure where you get your information from concerning Nutro, please note that it does NOT contain corn as Saggitarian has already mentioned. Nutro dry products have NOT been affected by the recall in the US.

All information concerning Nutro's products and the recalls can be found on their websitehttp://www.nutroproducts.com/mfrecall.shtml.

Chicken and Lamb meal is human grade meat which has had the mositure content removed.

Sorry, edited the earlier post to include the link to the vet from the youtube video website (http://www.petcarenaturally.com/articles/diet-supplements.php).

From that site:

Meat meal (e.g., lamb meal):

Rendered (a process where the fat and water are removed) mammal tissue without added blood, hair, hoof, horn, hide trimmings, manure and stomach contents, except in such amounts as may occur unavoidably in good processing practices. It can contain meat from "4D" animals (dead, dying, diseased, or disabled,) which comes from animals condemned for human consumption. However, meat meal can also come from dehydrated meat (meat without the water content) and can be of high quality (some manufacturers of higher quality natural dog and cat foods make their own meal,) making this designation somewhat nebulous and confusing. As a rule, it should be avoided unless you contact the manufacturer to find out what exactly is in the "meat meal."

I had a look at the Nutro site, but couldn't see anything specific about how their "meal" is produced (?). Is dry Nutro imported from the US?

ETA: Link to thread about an Australian-made super premium: http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?showtopic=97788. Just be aware there's some blatant sales pitches there, also.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Gomez, not sure where you get your information from concerning Nutro, please note that it does NOT contain corn as Saggitarian has already mentioned. Nutro dry products have NOT been affected by the recall in the US.

All information concerning Nutro's products and the recalls can be found on their websitehttp://www.nutroproducts.com/mfrecall.shtml.

Chicken and Lamb meal is human grade meat which has had the mositure content removed.

Their website is where I have gotten my info...

Some of their formulas contain "corn gluten meal" which is not something I want to feed Gomez -

As for what type of formulas have been recalled - if even one formula, dry, wet, or treat has been recalled form a brand, it's no longer an acceptable brand to me - like I said before, if they cannot keep their control over ingredients in one formulation, I cannot trust that brand with any form of pet food.

Search for Pet Food Recalls click below

Pet Food Recalls List

You can search by:

- Brand Name (Example: Americas Choice, Authority)

- UPC Code (Example: 54807-59114)

- Product Description (Example: SL Beef/Gravy 24x5.5oz)

- Container (Example: Pouch)

- Any combination of: container, brand name, description, size (Example: Pouch Menu Beef/Gravy 24x5.5oz)

Edited by panda

[Their website is where I have gotten my info...

Some of their formulas contain "corn gluten meal" which is not something I want to feed Gomez -

As for what type of formulas have been recalled - if even one formula, dry, wet, or treat has been recalled form a brand, it's no longer an acceptable brand to me - like I said before, if they cannot keep their control over ingredients in one formulation, I cannot trust that brand with any form of pet food.

Gomez,

I have just read the 4 different bags of Nutro Natural Choice I have here and their website and I could not find anywhere that it contains corn gluten meal. Their website actually says that it doesn't contain food.

All dogs do differently on the different types of food. What works for one may not work for others. I know that mine do best on Nutro Natural Choice and I have tried every type of dry from Super Premium down to supermarket brands. I also now add some Ziwipeak.

Nutro Natural Choice has not been recalled and I have no intention in changing from it unless my dogs have a problem with it.

Norskgra, sorry some of the Nutro products do contain corn gluten meal.

Please not that there is a difference between whole grain corn which many other companies use and gluten meal.

This is the information from Nutro's website which clarifies why they use this in their foods.

(1) Nutro uses corn gluten meal in some of its pet foods because it is a source of sulfur amino acids, which are important for skin and coat health. Corn gluten meal also helps as a natural urine acidifier that is important for both cats and dogs.

(2) All of the corn gluten meal that Nutro uses in its products is produced in the United States.

Goemz the recall of foods was because the ingredients came from China. Nutro dried products ONLY use US ingredients.

Gomez, perhaps then you need to locate food sourced from elsewhere, have you throught about Ziwipeak which is made in NZ?.

Norksgra, by all means, if you are happy with your food and your dog is doing well on it, DO NOT change it!! That's not at all what I am saying here -

Hesapandbear, again, like I said, to me it doesn't matter the difference between dry and wet in the recall, it's a question of quality control, and to ME, it's not there, sorry...

I have been following this recall very closely as I have the time right now, so I'm familiar with what came form where and where it has gone...

It's not all American foods I have a problem with, it's the companies that can't keep track of their ingredients!

I have looked into Ziwipeak and it looks great, he is getting a tin a week on his kibble - and Gomez is doing very well on EPH for now and he will stay on that - if something changes, then the food changes...

By the way, just now, as I typed it out, I just realized "he's a panda bear"!!! I kept reading it as "hesap and bear" I thougth those were the names of your dogs!!

Norksgra, by all means, if you are happy with your food and your dog is doing well on it, DO NOT change it!! That's not at all what I am saying here -

Hesapandbear, again, like I said, to me it doesn't matter the difference between dry and wet in the recall, it's a question of quality control, and to ME, it's not there, sorry...

I have been following this recall very closely as I have the time right now, so I'm familiar with what came form where and where it has gone...

It's not all American foods I have a problem with, it's the companies that can't keep track of their ingredients!

I have looked into Ziwipeak and it looks great, he is getting a tin a week on his kibble - and Gomez is doing very well on EPH for now and he will stay on that - if something changes, then the food changes...

By the way, just now, as I typed it out, I just realized "he's a panda bear"!!! I kept reading it as "hesap and bear" I thougth those were the names of your dogs!!

I sent off a query to Ziwi Peak asking where to get it in Sydney and was sent off to the Nutro sight ????

:) Gomez, Hesa Panda Bear is the registered name of one of my dogs, he's a black and white sheltie. :)

Hey, Norskgra, not in the foods you feed but thought it needed clarification.

daccies, please dont confuse Nutro with Ziwipeak they are NOT the same product, and do not have the same website:

Nutro's:

http://www.nutroproducts.com/

Ziwipeak's

http://www.ziwipeak.com/

I found this website located in Sydney. They carry Ziwipeak. http://www.naturalpetstore.com.au/products.php?cat=7

To Gomez, did your dog have soft stools when she/he start ziwipeak? I gave Evo to my dog last year and his stools were quite messy. I guess because it has a very high protein and low fibre. Someone told me that she fed her Pug Ziwipeak and her dog had very soft stools. She did slowly mixed with old food for a couple of weeks before. I'd really like to give my dog Ziwipeak but concern about the stool. My dog is 12kg, how long do think it would take to go through a 1kg bag?

Thanks

panda, our dogs stools are only SLIGHTLY softer on the Ziwipeak, but then we are only using it as an addition to their regular diet which is Nutro. We add either a little canned or daily cuisine to their food.

The reason for only using as a supplement is that we have 5 to feed and Ziwipeak is unfortunately far too expensive to be feeding as a standard diet to that many. PLUS the cat!!

Hi Hesapandabear, Sorry about the confusion I sent off an email to Ziwipeak last night asking where I could buy the product and they directed me to a nutro site? Confused. Anyway I think I'm going to go with Nutro now - got to be a lot better than Advance - cant believe what rubbish they put in it and yet it was recommended to me.

Hi Hesapandabear, Sorry about the confusion I sent off an email to Ziwipeak last night asking where I could buy the product and they directed me to a nutro site? Confused. Anyway I think I'm going to go with Nutro now - got to be a lot better than Advance - cant believe what rubbish they put in it and yet it was recommended to me.

Or maybe not having gone through their ingredients and seen rice and meat meal - still doing a search.

Nutro Chicken or Lamb Meal is dehydrated meat. That is - the wet content removed prior to weighing. Same as quite a few other premium foods. Nothing nasty!

:)

More research done and think I'm going eagle pack - I'm also not impressed with companies doing recalls even if the food in australia is not affected.

Nature's Gift say that they only use human grade meat on their website. There is a bit of grain in it though - rice & wheat. No corn. Quite high protein levels though 26% for 100g.

Nutro Chicken or Lamb Meal is dehydrated meat. That is - the wet content removed prior to weighing. Same as quite a few other premium foods. Nothing nasty!

:)

More research done and think I'm going eagle pack - I'm also not impressed with companies doing recalls even if the food in australia is not affected.

Both versions of Eagle Packs are good, but I think the Holistic is a bit better, higher grade ingredients and more natural formulations-

We will be livingin Sydney by July, so let meknow where you find it!