Which Is The Most "dog Friendly" State.

Keira&Phoenix

NSW is the land of the Companion Animals ACT 1998 and prior to the introduction of BSL, it had one of the best written and workable pieces of legislation in this country.

It's the best state to live in when it comes to dogs. There's no restiction on numbers, there are designated leash free areas and life time registration.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Southern Nsw seems very dog friendly....We have lots of reserves on the Murray River, lake Hume, dog off lead Parks and i see lots of people having Coffee outside at Cafe's with their dogs in Albury. One little Town even has a special Dog event called Mutts in May at Howlong, where they shut off the main street for the day.

We go everywhere with our large dogs and have never had an issue. We walk our large dogs in the small towns. My only annoyance is that there are people who try to ignore what their dog does. I love handing them a poop bag and say "here you are, I have one for you". I always carry lots of poop bags :)

It's OK here. I dont like the BSL or the dog limit though..

we can have several dogs with a special permit.

For basic dog ownership its' not bad. Plenty of places to go, ie, beaches, esplanade, bike track,

most sporting grounds allow dogs and heaps of cafes.

We had a cafe and had several dogs daily, regulars had a water bowl each with their name on.. and would have chicken breast as a treat, I was popular :D :)

The kennel club is fenced and locked but members can pop in and exercise their dogs.

we have a lot of dog activities, but as far as competitive and variety goes it's tough as there is so much travel involved. but we are in the country, so you expect it.

The rangers are pretty good. the pound is affiliated with fostering and rescue.

I've never had a bad experience with anything here, even when I've had several dogs (often had friends dogs for extended periods, and mums etc) and have several aquaintances in govt. who know and visit and never even mention it.

I think if no complaints are made things are OK, but once a complaint is made they take action.

Most Queensland councils, including Brisbane and Ipswich have a health law which strictly prohibits taking dogs to cafes, or to tables outside, or even near outside tables. If there are cafes allowing it, it is only because the health department hasn't caught them yet.

This is a health law, not a dog control law.

I found Victoria to be dog friendly, as you can take dogs on public transport, inside shops that are not food businesses, to the gardens and to most other places, including outside cafes. Dogs are completely banned from many areas of QLD. But we do have a large subculture of undesirable dog owners here in QLD that are not as common in Victoria. Their behaviour is the reason we have the extra laws I think.

I think Country towns tend to be a fair bit friendlier than if you live in the 'burbs in almost any State but to be fair I have not lived in Qld. for any length of time.

In Darwin we have 3 off leash beaches (but there are stingers, crocs and sharks) most ovals are available for off and on leash runs however since one really only can run dogs early am and later in the evening due to heat/humididty they all can get a bit crowded and they are not fenced and one shares with sports groups a lot...no nice coffee shops that allow dogs to sit even outside-which is a really big let down in my coffee addled mind!

Some nice places to walk in bush/semi bush settings even close to town but problems with wild dogs/dingoes attacking.

There is one Pets off leash park with a safe (most of the time) swimming area for dogs and some agility/play equipment too. We really need at least one other area the same but in the Northern suburbs, also fully fenced and with a small dogs area as well.

Annie

I recently discovered that in NSW, along the Murray and Murrubidgee rivers, many former state forests, where one could take dogs, have been turned into either 'National Parks' or 'Regional Parks'. While both are administered by NSW National Parks, you can still take dogs into a 'Regional Park', which incidentally, are also free from hunters and shooters.

Yeah I guess people could interpret my question many ways. But i was more alluding to places you can take your dog, places provided specifily for dogs and being allowed to have dogs in public places etc rather than how many dogs or breed legislation. Although if we take all of those things into account it changes again. Thanks for all the answers.

Most Queensland councils, including Brisbane and Ipswich have a health law which strictly prohibits taking dogs to cafes, or to tables outside, or even near outside tables. If there are cafes allowing it, it is only because the health department hasn't caught them yet.

This is a health law, not a dog control law.

I found Victoria to be dog friendly, as you can take dogs on public transport, inside shops that are not food businesses, to the gardens and to most other places, including outside cafes. Dogs are completely banned from many areas of QLD. But we do have a large subculture of undesirable dog owners here in QLD that are not as common in Victoria. Their behaviour is the reason we have the extra laws I think.

Oh, I did not realise that re health. Maybe our council is not up to speed as we even had health inspections with several dogs at outside tables, and the MP for our area ate in every day, and also the animal control officer and her beagle.

Many cafes on the esplanade have dogs too, I take mine to one right on the beach :)

I found Darwin OK too. We took ours into the city for walks etc. and on the beaches. although I was always freaking out about stingers and crocs,,,, so I kept them on lead.

There's undesirable dog owners in NT too (and everywhere else), very many neglected dogs :) , very very low incidence of any vet treatment/desexing/ care..

Edited by Monah

I think Country towns tend to be a fair bit friendlier than if you live in the 'burbs in almost any State but to be fair I have not lived in Qld. for any length of time.

In Darwin we have 3 off leash beaches (but there are stingers, crocs and sharks) most ovals are available for off and on leash runs however since one really only can run dogs early am and later in the evening due to heat/humididty they all can get a bit crowded and they are not fenced and one shares with sports groups a lot...no nice coffee shops that allow dogs to sit even outside-which is a really big let down in my coffee addled mind!

Some nice places to walk in bush/semi bush settings even close to town but problems with wild dogs/dingoes attacking.

There is one Pets off leash park with a safe (most of the time) swimming area for dogs and some agility/play equipment too. We really need at least one other area the same but in the Northern suburbs, also fully fenced and with a small dogs area as well.

Annie

Are you still in Darwin? That sounds liike Marlows Lagoon? we used to go there too.

There is an oval that branches off on the other side from the dogpark area, and we would take ours there for a quiet run, and also a big oval at the palmerston campus of the uni, inbetween the school and the uni. It is off university drive, HUGE area, rarely anyone there!!

We had dingoes regularly at our back fence, they were not interested in the dogs at all, off hunting wallabies etc.

I could not even find a nice 'human' coffee shop in Darwin.. (sorry NTsxxx)

I think we're probably very spoilt here and the sunny coast etc...

We holiday in Townsville with our dogs every year, there is a huge dog beach stretching from Rose Bay to Palarenda (maybe 10km long) I have also had plenty of coffees with Trinity on the strand near CBD.

I live near Alice Springs NT and it is very dog friendly, the crime rate is so high nearly everyone has a dog :) . I also just spent a night at MollieJay B&B Alice Springs, a beautiful cottage that is happy to have dogs indoors. Same as for Darwin, lots of dog beaches, dog parks but caravan parks in the territory don't seem to like dogs so accom is restricted to smaller places.

I lived near Melbourne a couple of years ago and I recall there being no problem with having my dog with me in most places.

Ingleburn/ Maquarie Fields in SW sydney has a nice reserve on the river that you can take your dogs swimming and bushwalking.

In alice springs there is a great nursery with a cafe called the Water Tank. Doggies very welcome and coffee is very nice and has won barista awards. Gloria Jeans, while not the best coffee around, does allow dogs at outside tables.

Darwin for coffee you would have to go to Parap, Fannie Bay, Cullen Bay- I have seen dogs at cafes there although when its 33 degrees and humid I don't enjoy coffee that much anyway :laugh:

I'm going to say that Victoria seems the most "dog friendly" state bar BSL. They allow you to have your dogs on public transport, at cafes and other public places and there are really good facilities provided.

Hmmmm one day might have to make the move, if the laws don't change beforehand.

Thanks for the replies everyone :laugh:

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

I can remember a few years back, going to an amazing off lead dog park (somewhere within driving distance of St Ives?) and it had a great beach there for the dogs. I remember being amazed at the size of this park (not fenced) and how happy all the dogs were playing in the water together, it was a very nice park. I think someone was swimming with their dog too.

Lots of good dog friendly beaches right up and down NSW, my fave spots being around Bermagui area and also at Byron Bay where the dog beach is right there in town.

Yeah sorry I tried to correct that. I lived in Sydney in the eastern suburbs and I was just upset because all I ever wanted to do was to be able to go to the beach with my dog and we couldn't find anywhere nearby - like within 1-2 hours. But if you don't live so close to the main city, things are probably better.

That said, I now live 10 mins from the heart of Adelaide, and I can go to nice beaches with my dog every day. I'm over the moon :laugh:

Not sure where you are exactly, but just over the border in NSW, we found Mt Warning Caravan Park, which is very dog friendly. The really nice camping spots they don't allow dogs (say they have too much wildlife in that spot) but they have other camping spots around the cabin area etc. We also found a kennel in the area that would do day drop offs, so we could go do the theme parks at the Gold Coast (though don't go when daylight savings is on, as you have to leave an hour earlier to make it back in time to pick up the dogs!)

I live in Qld too and its a big let down when you are trying to find somewhere nice where you can take the dogs. I've been looking for a long time for a nice camping spot which is dog friendly but they are always National Parks.

There is a dog friendly off-leash beach between Coolum Beach and Peregian Beach. I can't remember the name of it though.

Hey why arent there any locals supporting Victoria

- there are many dog beaches, dog clubs, competitions just about every weekend, off lead parks and cafes that are happy to accomodate dogs. Most of the country towns have minimal locations but that is more because they havent yet been pushed into it or even that they havent been approached.

We live near Kilmore and have loads of places we take our dogs for play time and generally the council is happy to turn a blind eye. We love having lunch at the Rose Cafe where dogs are welcome. There is plenty of space in the Mt Disappointment State Forest there are also stock trails that circle round the back of the different towns. A large Common along the creek in Broadford. There is also loads of people who travel north for holidays and camp along the Murray near Echuca and they take there dogs. There are also many caravan parks near the inland lakes that allow dogs.

There are beaches along the peninsula that are dog friendly some all year, some are seasonal. We love to take the dogs to Flinders Beach for a full on play and swim.

Every year we like to take the dogs for a Sunday down to St. Kilda Beach where there are sections they can play off lead and others where they need to be on lead. Walk thru the Market where some of the venders even have water buckets out for visitors. Then we stop for lunch at one of the many friendly cafes/pubs where our dogs snooze why we have lunch.

So have to say that Victoria is a pretty good place to live if you love dogs. Oh and we have pretty good weather too.