Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: It's Been 12mths & 2 Days - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

It's Been 12mths & 2 Days Tribute to a special boy

#1 User is offline   gsdog2 

  • Forum Regular
  • Posts: 1,727
  • Joined: 23-April 06
  • State:QLD

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:40 PM

Five weeks today I lost my beautiful shepherd Silas to gastric torsion and I'm still finding myself crying - when does it stop? I miss him so much and I'm finding it so hard to accept he's never coming back, I've lost dogs before but the heartbreak this time is unbearable :D

This post has been edited by gsdog2: 31 January 2012 - 09:35 AM


#2 User is offline   Mrs Rusty Bucket 

  • spinner
  • Posts: 6,040
  • Joined: 17-October 09
  • State:SA

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

There's no rules or time limit.

Something might remind you in 10 years time and you'll cry again...

Hopefully you'll get a little bit stronger and cry a little bit less inconveniently. But you will always remember.

#3 User is offline   Lollipup 

  • Dog Matters Training
  • Posts: 1,289
  • Joined: 28-July 10
  • Location:Wide Bay
  • State:QLD

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:49 PM

I've lost a few dogs and i will never forget them. But one of them was extra hard. She died over 8 years ago and sometimes I still cry over her. But it does get easier with time, and the tears gradually become less often. Hugs to you. Lots of people here will understand what you are going through. I think this forum may be the only place some people can find others who understand what a dog can mean to you. I know thats the case for me, even though I haven't spoken about the dogs I have lost on here before. When it happens, this is where the support will be.

#4 User is offline   persephone 

  • Shutter-click Addict
  • Posts: 43,132
  • Joined: 09-July 03
  • Location:the maze of my mind
  • State:SA

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:52 PM

7 years ago I lost my Kieran ,also to bloat/torsion.... the tears are less, but they still flow on occasion.

#5 User is offline   Allerzeit 

  • RIP Allerzeit Enya CCD 4/12/2002 - 2/2/2011
  • Posts: 6,978
  • Joined: 21-September 04
  • Location:Tasmania
  • State:TAS

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:57 PM

I totally understand :clap: I had to say goodbye to Enya 4 weeks ago - she was a heart dog for me, the closest bond I have ever had with a dog - and I still find myself crying over her. I can be fine one minute and in tears the next - sometimes I can talk about her, sometimes I can't.

All I can offer you is that over time the pain will lessen, and you will spend more time remembering with smiles rather than tears - until then you need to be kind to yourself, let yourself cry when you need to, and give yourself time :clap: :D

#6 User is offline   Sandra777 

  • Forum Regular
  • Posts: 5,376
  • Joined: 11-November 06
  • Location:QLD
  • State:QLD

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:01 PM

I lost my heart dog over 15 years ago and her memory still brings the odd tear here and there.

As long as you aren't wallowing in guilt or depression then grieve as long as you need to.

Anything more, I would seek professional advice.

#7 User is offline   Vickie 

  • Forum Regular
  • Posts: 5,555
  • Joined: 31-January 04
  • Location:NW Sydney
  • State:NSW

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:06 PM

View PostAllerzeit, on 4th Mar 2011 - 03:57 PM, said:

I totally understand :clap: I had to say goodbye to Enya 4 weeks ago - she was a heart dog for me, the closest bond I have ever had with a dog - and I still find myself crying over her. I can be fine one minute and in tears the next - sometimes I can talk about her, sometimes I can't.

All I can offer you is that over time the pain will lessen, and you will spend more time remembering with smiles rather than tears - until then you need to be kind to yourself, let yourself cry when you need to, and give yourself time :clap: :D

Such good advice Allerzeit :happydance:
I am still crying over Zeus sometimes but the ache is lessening & being replaced with smiles about funny things he did. I am finding that looking at photos & videos & telling & listening to stories about him helps me to smile.

#8 User is offline   gsdog2 

  • Forum Regular
  • Posts: 1,727
  • Joined: 23-April 06
  • State:QLD

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:21 PM

Thanks everyone for your kind words - it's nice to know I'm not on my own. My OH was very upset at the time but he seems to have been able to move on and I think he would be surprised to know I'm still crying over Silas as it usually happens when I'm on my own. Today it was a sad song, yesterday I came home from work with my other shepherd (who adored Silas) and she jumped out of the car and ran to the gate where he always used to wait for us. With her so obviously missing him adds to my sadness. Silas was my heart dog, there were times he would look at me and I felt he was looking straight into my soul, we had such a close connection. Often he knew what I wanted from him before I asked, and when we competed in the obedience trial ring judges commented on how beautifully he worked. I don't think he even liked the trial ring,but he did it for me because he loved me so much.

Allerzeit you're right, one minute I can talk about him without any problems, and yet other times I cry. I know it upsets my family when I tear-up because they blame themselves for talking about him to me, but other times I'm fine. Never have I felt the loss of one of my dogs so much.

Persephone I find myself going back to that day wondering what I could have done differently to have prevented what happened. I think that's what's making his loss so hard - at 7.30 pm he was perfectly fine and within 5 hours he was gone. I have never cried so much in my life as I did the night we lost him :D

#9 User is offline   pumpitdog 

  • Forum Regular
  • Posts: 147
  • Joined: 01-December 07

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:47 PM

I think I was the worst. I ended up getting help. I had never lost any family member before I lost my dog and so the grief was horrendous. Time does heal (apparently)....

I made a scrapbook up , I made a slideshow of photos and added sad songs and allowed myself to cry.

I have no other words for you.

But you are not alone, we have all gone through it.

It has been 18months for me and tears still flow regularly.

#10 User is offline   Allerzeit 

  • RIP Allerzeit Enya CCD 4/12/2002 - 2/2/2011
  • Posts: 6,978
  • Joined: 21-September 04
  • Location:Tasmania
  • State:TAS

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:59 PM

Oh, and pour your heart out in here - seriously... the support that you get on the DOL Rainbow Bridge is amazing and will help, I promise.

My heart absolutely goes out to you, cry like a banshee in here, because we understand your pain and will be your rock to lean on :clap:

:clap: and :D to you gsdog2

#11 User is offline   gsdog2 

  • Forum Regular
  • Posts: 1,727
  • Joined: 23-April 06
  • State:QLD

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:09 PM

View Postpumpitdog, on 4th Mar 2011 - 04:47 PM, said:

I think I was the worst. I ended up getting help. I had never lost any family member before I lost my dog and so the grief was horrendous. Time does heal (apparently)....

I made a scrapbook up , I made a slideshow of photos and added sad songs and allowed myself to cry.

I have no other words for you.

But you are not alone, we have all gone through it.

It has been 18months for me and tears still flow regularly.


pumpitdog I made the decision earlier today that I would make a slideshow of photo's and ask my son (who plays the guitar and writes some beautiful songs) to add the music. I'm doing this because I'm struggling with the idea that he's never coming back and I'm hoping that in some way this will help keep his memory clear and close.

Allerzeit thank you and returning the :hug: to you too

#12 User is offline   huski 

  • Team K9 Pro | Malinator handler
  • Posts: 24,842
  • Joined: 31-October 06
  • Location:Sydney
  • State:NSW

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:23 PM

So sorry to hear this Henri :thumbsup: He was such a handsome dog. I don't have any advice, I just want you to know I am thinking of you :thumbsup:

#13 User is offline   Tara and Sam 

  • R.I.P Sam 2010, R.I.P Tara 2012, R.I.P Tynka 2014
  • Posts: 5,304
  • Joined: 12-July 06
  • Location:South Australia
  • State:SA

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:21 PM

View Postgsdog2, on 4th Mar 2011 - 04:39 PM, said:

View Postpumpitdog, on 4th Mar 2011 - 04:47 PM, said:

I think I was the worst. I ended up getting help. I had never lost any family member before I lost my dog and so the grief was horrendous. Time does heal (apparently)....

I made a scrapbook up , I made a slideshow of photos and added sad songs and allowed myself to cry.

I have no other words for you.

But you are not alone, we have all gone through it.

It has been 18months for me and tears still flow regularly.


pumpitdog I made the decision earlier today that I would make a slideshow of photo's and ask my son (who plays the guitar and writes some beautiful songs) to add the music. I'm doing this because I'm struggling with the idea that he's never coming back and I'm hoping that in some way this will help keep his memory clear and close.

Allerzeit thank you and returning the :thumbsup: to you too


This has been about the 2nd time I have beenback in Rainbow Bridge thread as it hurt so much , as I have seen the others go through it also since I lost Sam 3 months ago
the tears still come so strong some days , and others not as bad

it hurts like heck not to see him or cuddle him

one thing mentioned above helped me on the rough days
I made a tribute for Sam also
I started of in tears but always had a smile or laugh at his antics
it helped ease it abit to laugh at his ways and to know he was much loved and still much loved and always will be

They wont leave our hearts ever

:thumbsup:

#14 User is offline   gsdog2 

  • Forum Regular
  • Posts: 1,727
  • Joined: 23-April 06
  • State:QLD

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

View Posthuski, on 4th Mar 2011 - 09:23 PM, said:

So sorry to hear this Henri :) He was such a handsome dog. I don't have any advice, I just want you to know I am thinking of you :(


Thanks Bec - he was handsome on the outside and and extra special on the inside

#15 User is offline   griff 

  • missing my dogs :(
  • Posts: 33,566
  • Joined: 11-March 04
  • Location:west 'o' sydney
  • State:NSW

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:09 AM

when when the tears stop ? , honestly hun I dont think they do , been 2 plus years since Sinna went to the bridge
and to this day I still have tears each day I miss her so much , Many a wonderful DOL person
was there to talk to me and also one lovely lady made a You Tub clip " Tribute to Sinna "
for me , I thank them deeply for their support .

all I can say is let the tears flow and maybe with time you will also smile and
remember the funny little things that Silas did ,


sending :rofl: to you and all Dol'ers who are missing their special heart dogs .

Share this topic:



Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users


Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions