Coughing When Drinking

I have been to the vet who put Jeune on Prednisone for four days and then I am to report back. Tomorrow is the fourth day and, to date, she has not improved and, I think, is getting worse.

She has had a hacking, dry cough, for a little while now and often brings up clear slimy liquid. She does this only while and after drinking, not generally or with food.

I will be phoning the vet tomorrow, but in the meantime, just wondering about any other experiences.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

No, no other changes Westiemum.

The vet gave her a very thorough examination, no lumps or bumps or anything that concerned him or was not normal. :(

And they all wear harnesses when we go out walking and their collars are fabric and loose.

Not sure what the next steps will be but will find out tomorrow.

As you mention clear slimy stuff I'm wondering if he's getting extra saliva and it's going down the wrong way, has he been dribbling more than usual lately? Sounds weird but if he'll accept it maybe you could make his water a little thicker for the moment using gelatine in order to manage the symptoms while you get to the bottom of the problem. (Same theory as 'thickened water' that is given to human patients with swallowing issues)

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Good thinking KC. smile.gif

I saw this and was about to respond that we have ruled out Kennel Cough :laugh: :laugh:

She hasn't thrown up this evening, but even a little sip has her rasping. :(

poor babe. If you are going to see the vet in the morning I would fast her from now. Sounds like she could be aspirating. maybe offer her water in the form of small bits of ice to chew if needed.

Jeune has just had her last tablet of the series. I haven't heard her coughing this morning, so maybe she hasn't had a drink yet.

I learnt when I had Danny at the vets a month or so ago, that older dogs can get softening of the oesophagus (and presumably the trachea as suggeted by Furkidsforever) and we did tests on Danny over a couple of weeks and he was fine. Unfortunately, he is now coughing like Jeune only he coughs generally without it being brought on noticeably by any one thing and he is not throwing up as he was at the time of his previous consultation. With Jeune it is only when drinking.

Bunter was also coughing and he has been on linctus for the same period as Jeune had been on tablets and he seems to be fine now.

So back to the vet with both Danny and Jeune.

DD if you have some Manuka honey ( the strong stuff) on hand try giving her some- might help knock any kennel cough on the head and you can see if the texture helps reduce her coughing. Just a thought. smile.gif

You took the words right out of my mouth :) Ronin had a cough a little while back that didn't seem too serious but had be keeping a close watch on him. I gave him a teaspoon of TA36 Jarrah honey three times a day in between meals and some high potency vitamin C for 6 days. Everything cleared up really well. Probably don't need the Vit C, but I was unsure if it might have been some allergen causing it, a short course will certainly not hurt. Natural Animal Solutions make the Vit C that I bought and would recommend this.

Obviously this suggestion is not to replace vet diagnosis.

Mankua or Jarrah will be the best in my opinion, the honey must be raw and unprocessed.

I hope things improve.