Raising Two Puppies At Once

Sheridan

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is she freaked out or excited by what's going on around her? Can you take her back another day but work out how far away from the action you need to be to get her attention back on you? That will give you an idea where to begin to slowly make your way closer. Each time you lose her you know you've pushed it too far. Is she the same when you're out and about with less action going on?

Well drooling in the car is a slight improvement from vomiting, so cheers for some progress there.

You are going to have to experiment to find what floats her boat so that she focuses on you.

It may be a tug toy, food treats, a ball, ear scritches, voice rewards, a flirt pole or a fluffy toy.

Find out firstly at home what motivates her the most, then use that motivator in other places where there is mild distraction. Hopefully by the next training session you will have improved her focus.

Is she freaked out or excited by what's going on around her? Can you take her back another day but work out how far away from the action you need to be to get her attention back on you? That will give you an idea where to begin to slowly make your way closer. Each time you lose her you know you've pushed it too far. Is she the same when you're out and about with less action going on?

She's generally when we're walking around by ourselves. She's freaked out by cars in general. She stops dead and sits when one goes past. She did an enormous leap forward today in training for no apparent reason. Startled the trainer. I think it was a car going past but she ignored other cars completely. I'll try to get down there with her one night this week or on Saturday. Thanks, good idea.

Well drooling in the car is a slight improvement from vomiting, so cheers for some progress there.

You are going to have to experiment to find what floats her boat so that she focuses on you.

It may be a tug toy, food treats, a ball, ear scritches, voice rewards, a flirt pole or a fluffy toy.

Find out firstly at home what motivates her the most, then use that motivator in other places where there is mild distraction. Hopefully by the next training session you will have improved her focus.

Tug toys she just drops. She likes chasing balls so I could try that. Voice she ignores when we're at training. At home she's motivated by food. Roo is a bit the same. Show trainer suggested we try a squeaky toy with him but we can't use that at obedience. The trainer suggested a mix of treats so will try that. Thanks for the advice!

Roo and I went up to an empty block a little while ago and ran around like we were winning Crufts. He did really well given there were kids screaming from a nearby property and poo around.

Edited by Sheridan

Whatever you use, build value in a really quiet environment and work up to a high distraction one. Ginny is 16 weeks and we began playing tug in the bathroom - and teaching her to tug with the toy I've got plus choosing tug over food and vice versa - we moved into the lounge room, added dogs and cats as distractions, on the deck, at the oval, at the quiet shopping strip, on the busy footpath and a few weeks ago she nailed tug at Uni with a bunch of students leaving a tutorial.

Training with Bunny was interesting today. Despite doing very little training during the week because I had the flu Bunny was much better this week. Far less scatty, ate the treats I offered, and while she was playing with the other dogs before and after she took no notice of the cars going past. During training cars went past and she mostly ignored them, only looking up when a really noisy motorbike went past. She was keen on the other dogs but I was able to get her attention much more quickly. I used my cross voice a few times and she immediately paid attention. Still doesn't walk on a loose lead there, though. :laugh: I think what proved to be the difference was that I got there half an hour early and she had a good run around. Maybe it's just the edge was taken off.

Roo is continuing with his show training and he's much better than I am. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

My then 12mo Whippet bitch worked beautifully to Novice trialing level at home, got to training eventually knowing it would drop back a bit. I think it took 6 weeks before she had all four feet on the ground!!!!!

Keep taking her and keeping it calm :)

It turns out it's all in the treats being offered for Miss Bunny. Did not want my treats but performed beautifully when the trainer handed over some of her treats.

With Roo it's what lead he's on. With a small check chain he's like, 'Working now must behave' but when he has his normal lead on he takes no notice of anything.

It's funny how the little "darlings" will always behave beautifully for a stranger, isn't it?

Harper is a complete mess when it comes to doing anything she hasn't done before, or meeting new people... but as soon as the head trainer at the local training group goes near her, she decides to make a liar of me and behave beautifully... anything to please this one person... *sigh*

T.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted for a little while. Bunny has been barking quite a lot during the day due to the new puppy next door. I did a door knock of the neighbours and they said it wasn't a problem but a couple of them I know do shifts. I jumped down her throat on Monday when I was home even if she just gave an experimental oof. Sprayed some water at her, too. She ignores the very barky dogs around the local streets and the chickens and I'm hoping she'll just get used to the new dog and will just stop being so noisy. Any tips?

Pickles used to bark at the new dog next door for a while... but she eventually got used to the fact he was there... a couple of months maybe?

Now those neighbours have moved out and the house will have new tenants in time... I'm sure Pickles will go off at them until she gets used to their routines... *sigh*

The only thing I did with Pickles was to try to keep her inside if I wasn't home - so that if she barked, it wasn't so loud for other neighbours. We also did introductions with the neighbour's puppy so she at least knew that the smells from the other side of the fence were him...

T.

Is she barking at the fence line or from a distance?

We had to build a second inner fence to lessen excited barking and scrabbling on the fence line when the neighbours dog stands there barking . Luckily its only a small section of the back fence but it has made a big difference. There's nothing quite like the high pitched yap of an excited terrier is there!

Is she barking at the fence line or from a distance?

We had to build a second inner fence to lessen excited barking and scrabbling on the fence line when the neighbours dog stands there barking . Luckily its only a small section of the back fence but it has made a big difference. There's nothing quite like the high pitched yap of an excited terrier is there!

Bunny has a big bark. I did wonder if the neighbours behind and over a bit thought she was the high pitched non-stop barker who barely pauses for breath whenever outside. A second fence would be difficult and prohibitively expensive for me as I'd need to do the lot. My fence is colourbond and the neighbours are growing a hedge on their side which hopefully stops the puppy from getting too close to their side of the fence. I have a concrete path my side so can't do the same. Besides, she starts barking in the house if she hears so merging then bolts over to the fence!

Pickles used to bark at the new dog next door for a while... but she eventually got used to the fact he was there... a couple of months maybe?

Now those neighbours have moved out and the house will have new tenants in time... I'm sure Pickles will go off at them until she gets used to their routines... *sigh*

The only thing I did with Pickles was to try to keep her inside if I wasn't home - so that if she barked, it wasn't so loud for other neighbours. We also did introductions with the neighbour's puppy so she at least knew that the smells from the other side of the fence were him...

T.

I have mentioned to the puppy's owner that we should do a walk and a play date. As I was putting them in the car last night for training they went past so they got a look at each other. As I type there are a few dogs barking a lot and she's taking no notice at all. Not the puppy, though. She did a dance up and down the fence line before but when she gave a bark I immediately uh uh-ed her and she stopped. I noticed this morning when she did the same thing that she looked back at me and stopped barking. I don't know if that's good or not. If I'm not there to shush her, dies she take that as permission to bark?

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't provided an update in a while though people may have seen my post in General about Roo not walking on a loose lead at all now. He pulls and pulls and I'm a bit sick of it really! I've bought a 'K9 Bridle' and will see if that helps.

The other thing is that both the puppies are chewing on my trees again having stopped. Both now have their adult teeth so I'm not sure why they're chewing. Specifically, they're chewing the calistimons. Do bottle brushe trees taste particularly good to puppies? I've started fencing them off but I think it's likely they'll move onto something else. The ratbag's!