Raising Two Puppies At Once

Sheridan

Hah, not sure that Bunny thinks at all. They're both outside together when I get home. It's funny cos last night I crated them so they could have their individual treats and it was Roo who had the tantrum. Bunny was all, I dunno what he's on about.

I wish I still had Grumpy. He put a stop to Mini's hysteria. He just wouldn't put up with it and squished her flat. She was pretty much silent after a while.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest waiting it out for as long as it takes. Although I do feel for poor Roo in doing this, so it would be good if you do at least the initial practice with just Bunny.

So by waiting it out, I mean waiting for her to quiet, as long as it it takes! Then when it's quiet, begin to open the door. If this starts her off again, close the door shut and begin waiting again. Be really consistent. Remember that if you wait 20 minutes and she's still barking, and you give up and let her in you have likely just created a monster! So start at a time when you are not exhausted or in a hurry as it sounds like she will be very persistent!

That's the hard part about rearing two together. They learn so much faster if you respond instantly to the correct behaviour, but if they are together and one is behaving and the other isn't you have to figure out a way to ensure that the unwanted behaviour is not inadvertently reinforced when you reward the other pup's wanted behaviour. Then of course, while you are rewarding the good student, if the bad student suddenly gets it right then you never have enough hands to release them quickly enough...keep telling yourself only a few more weeks, and they will have the routine down pat.smile.gif

As for the neighbours, why not pop notes in their letter-boxes explaining that you are training new dogs and they may carry on a bit until they are trained, leave your phone number so that can contact you directly if there are any concerns.

Kerries are noisy my god they have a voice .

As for bathing i would stop pandering & treating & just get on with it ,your just rewarding the bad behaviour .

In 30 yrs of having coated showdogs i have never treated when puppy grooming,this is how it happens these are the rules & they have it all sorted by the second week because they trust me in the end .They grow fast quickly & it gets harder & harder & no fun so the sooner you lay the rules down the quicker they will enjoy it .

They don't like it because its scary BUT the quicker you get on with it the happier they are.Any new pups here get done twice weekly & table time every night & that may simply be on the table for cuddles .

My current two's are coated puppies stand for the sryer,are clipped & scissored & there 3.5 months ,yes they have tried it on BUT they have to be groomed & its two dangerous to not learn quickly ,now they head for the table & put there feet up

Showdog, you bath puppies twice a week?

Yes my show puppies get done often as possible whilst still little & easy to train & hang on to.

They are clipped,scissored each week to .

I use our big hair dryer from day one .

They need to enjoy grooming for a long time as show dogs or as pets so i do alot of work when still little ,mine grew into 30 plus kg dogs

What do you do with those that struggle frm the beginning? And how do you bath them? Hydrobath? Bathtub?

I'm also curious if anyone else recommends the don't care if they are scared/enjoy it approach that showdog is advocating.

Edited by Sheridan

One of mine (Harper) has never had a bath in her life... and she'd probably defecate in one if you tried it!

Pickles goes all Tassie Devil with cerebral palsy if you try to make her wet... errr!

Trouble and Zeddy were brought up with the "I don't care if you don't like it, it's gonna happen" method, and they do fine having a bath - even though they get that hang dog look while it's happening... lol!

T.

I'm also curious if anyone else recommends the don't care if they are scared/enjoy it approach that showdog is advocating.

Yep. It's something that has to be done. Get in there, do it firmly but gently and get it over and done with.

My suggestion is make sure you have everything right there before you start so you don't suddenly realise your towel is on the other side of the room,and definitely make sure to have a non slip surface for them to stand on.

Also if you're freaked out by doing everything at once maybe start with short sessions? In the tub, rub puppy all over (with no water), 'dry' with a towel, finish and treat. Next time standing in warm which you could pour over him, dry with a towel, finish and treat etc. You can work your way up to shampooing and rinsing that way?

Ive done it this way with both my pups and it was pretty stress free. It was mostly from week one though. My terrier comes in the shower with me if I leave the door open too long and often ends up with a wash so that has to say something lol

Edited by Roova

My suggestion is make sure you have everything right there before you start so you don't suddenly realise your towel is on the other side of the room,and definitely make sure to have a non slip surface for them to stand on.

Also if you're freaked out by doing everything at once maybe start with short sessions? In the tub, rub puppy all over (with no water), 'dry' with a towel, finish and treat. Next time standing in warm which you could pour over him, dry with a towel, finish and treat etc. You can work your way up to shampooing and rinsing that way?

Ive done it this way with both my pups and it was pretty stress free. It was mostly from week one though. My terrier comes in the shower with me if I leave the door open too long and often ends up with a wash so that has to say something lol

This is exactly what I would suggest :) At least once a week, progressing fairly quickly to normal full bath, and cuddles and something yummy afterwards. This way you are doing the no nonsense, this is happening thing but also not giving them the chance to get really worked up before it's all over again, meaning you don't have such a struggle and you can catch a moment when they aren't being psycho to end on so they don't learn that being psycho gets them out of it.

I didn't actually do it in steps with mine for baths and drying, it was just 'this is what's happening, you're fine' then good things at the end BUT being toy and herding breeds I suspect mine a more obliging and less determined than yours so with yours I think building up to it could work better.

With Saxon's (poodle x ) grooming I did use treats throughout, it was on the table, brush, have some cheese, clip a bit, have some cheese, clip a bit, cheese, have a break. Back on the table, clip a bit, cheese, etc etc. That's worked pretty well, he tolerates grooming fine now, no treats needed.

Edited by Simply Grand

Bathing anymore than fortnightly is a bad idea in my view. Even fully natural shampoos disrupt natural oil production and coat health. Healthy coats are from diet. I give my boys a wash only if there is a reason ( beach, rolled in poo etc) they never smell.

Well, today each of them had a big brush. Again, Bunny was much better than Roo. I even manage to clipper her ears. thumbsup1.gif Roo struggled but not as much as he did the first time. No clippering for him, though. I think a grooming frame would be best for him. Bunny was okay with just the noose and grooming arm, though I really need a new grooming table. The arm is decidedly wobbly.

The terrors also had their first car ride on the back seat in harnesses. Bunny freaked out a bit while Roo was wheeeee! let me look at everything and jump around like a lunatic. This was separately which is all I had time for but tomorrow we're going out to a market as Roo is finally allowed out all vaccinated. It was funny, I did a slow drive up and down the street with each then went around the block. When I got back the second time and my neighbour called out to ask if I was okay. laugh.gif

Bathing anymore than fortnightly is a bad idea in my view. Even fully natural shampoos disrupt natural oil production and coat health. Healthy coats are from diet. I give my boys a wash only if there is a reason ( beach, rolled in poo etc) they never smell.

Same here. Ours are rarely bathed and they don't smell.

Edited by Dame Aussie

Oh definitely, they don't actually need bathing frequently but doing it frequently when they are little and you are teaching them to handle it is about the experience, not the necessity. I hardly ever bath mine now they are adults, only when they are actually dirty, but I can do it when I need to without drama because they are used to the experience. Of course some dogs take to it just fine having a first bath at 1 or 2 or whenever, but I like to take advantage of the baby stage where they just accept things to subject them to as many things they might need in future as I can :laugh:

I meant to say as well Sheridan, don't forget nail clipping. I really recommend doing clipping weekly as puppies, or at least going through the motions, again not because fhey need it but because trying to start clipping nails once they are grown and actually need it is even harder then struggling with puppy tantrums if they don't like it.

Well, today each of them had a big brush. Again, Bunny was much better than Roo. I even manage to clipper her ears. thumbsup1.gif Roo struggled but not as much as he did the first time. No clippering for him, though. I think a grooming frame would be best for him. Bunny was okay with just the noose and grooming arm, though I really need a new grooming table. The arm is decidedly wobbly.

The terrors also had their first car ride on the back seat in harnesses. Bunny freaked out a bit while Roo was wheeeee! let me look at everything and jump around like a lunatic. This was separately which is all I had time for but tomorrow we're going out to a market as Roo is finally allowed out all vaccinated. It was funny, I did a slow drive up and down the street with each then went around the block. When I got back the second time and my neighbour called out to ask if I was okay. laugh.gif

They sound like they are doing really well! And their little personalities seem to be coming out more :D

Oh definitely, they don't actually need bathing frequently but doing it frequently when they are little and you are teaching them to handle it is about the experience, not the necessity. I hardly ever bath mine now they are adults, only when they are actually dirty, but I can do it when I need to without drama because they are used to the experience. Of course some dogs take to it just fine having a first bath at 1 or 2 or whenever, but I like to take advantage of the baby stage where they just accept things to subject them to as many things they might need in future as I can :laugh:

I meant to say as well Sheridan, don't forget nail clipping. I really recommend doing clipping weekly as puppies, or at least going through the motions, again not because fhey need it but because trying to start clipping nails once they are grown and actually need it is even harder then struggling with puppy tantrums if they don't like it.

Nail clipping. Ugh. I am known for saying I don't do feet. I had a wheaten that had a grass seed as a young un and after that it took three people to hold him to do his nails. Roo has dew claws back and front which is my first time with a dog with dew claws. I have been playing with Roo's feet but it doesn't seem to make much difference at the moment in him letting me do much. Wheatens have this less terrier reputation but they're wilful buggers.