Raising Two Puppies At Once

Sheridan

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, not bad going Sheridan, to have managed to do that in four weeks is pretty impressive.

Well Done!

ps I bet they wee on the floor today just to spoil all the good work :laugh:

Bunny did this morning.

Well, it was my first full day back at work today leaving the puppies to wreak havoc at home by themselves. I woke up with a tension headache this morning having barely slept with worry. I was also late back because an email came in that I had to respond to. Naturally, I arrived home and they were all, 'Oh, hi.' :laugh:

Edited by Sheridan

Well, it was my first full day back at work today leaving the puppies to wreak havoc at his me by themselves. I woke up with a tension headache this morning having barely slept with worry. I was also late back because an email came in that I had to respond to. Naturally, I arrived home and they were all, 'Oh, hi.' :laugh:

:thumbsup: Good puppies. And well done! :laugh:

Bunny did another wee this morning and I think it's because she does a tiny wee at night and is then hanging on for six hours. Roo just wandered out at his own pace and did a wee outside. I'd rather not wake Bunny up during the night so tomorrow I might let her out first and go back to get Roo.

Last night Roo and I practiced some puppy school things, including sitting on his mat, being handled, listening to dog clippers, a couple of tricks, and a few others. He did very well but there weren't other puppies around to distract him. Other than Bunny, that is, and she got bonus points for sitting quietly in her crate.

That's 3 days without a wee in the house from Master Roo. Miss Bunny has not been so good. Found a poo in her lounge room crate this morning. She's also having a tantrum about going outside while I get ready for work, though Roo also had a tantrum this morning. Puppy tantrums are hilariously two-year-old in supermarket lolly aisle-like.

Yes, I think I'll start doing that. Thanks for the suggestion. I am treating with things like devon, etc, which do have a high salt content. It's hard to find something soft and high value which doesn't have a big amount of salt. I did try just chicken but its too flaky. Happy for suggestions.

I am keen to try raw by the way but am unsure of quantity for two growing puppies. I'll also have a look at the salt content. Roo was originally on Proplan puppy but he had the softest and smelliest poos. I wonder if poo consistency is in inverse proportion to the level of salt? But then, Bunny is on the same food and doesn't drink as much.

Chunkers - in the fridge pet food section at the supermarket are cooked balls of meat, no high amounts of salt and easy to break up. If you get a big bag put it into smaller bags and freeze if you don't use them in around 3 days, they are not filled will preservatives so will go smelly after 3 days in the fridge.

I will check out Chunkers next time I'm in town, thanks!

Anyone got any tips on puppy bathing. Contrast the two: Bunny was frightened but she just stood there and was delighted drying became a game. Roo was terrified, fought me every step of the way, and has now fallen asleep into an exhausted sleep.

BTW, I did do the whole yummy treat thing. Roo ate the treats but didn't calm down.

Edited by Sheridan

I am seriously over the hysterical, to no purpose, endless barking from Bunny. Hopefully she isn't doing this during the day when I'm not here. Here's what she does: on realising I'm home she has complete hysterics, attacks Roo when he comes near the door, and will continue to be hysterical until I open the door. Then she barks and jumps hysterically if I give her attention or if I ignore her. She went in like this for half an hour and she winds Roo up with it. She barks at anything new, she barks at old things. Yesterday, I filled a box with treats. She barks at it. I've tried the water pistol trick, I've tried calming things. It's driving me batty. I think it's driving Roo batty, too. She's full of energy and there's little outlet for it on days like today where it's pouring with rain (though she's like this when it's dry, too). Suggestions?

Edited by Sheridan

Pups are such fun, aren't they? The best you can do is only reward when she's quiet... take Roo off somewhere and leave her to her own devices in her crate or another room where the noise is dampened some.

T.

My Sheltie Riley is a barker. Hysterically, at everything and nothing. He is 4, he has not and will not now grow out of it. His automatic reaction to any stimulation is bark first, think later. I feel you, it drives me absolutely nuts!

So I don't want to disheartening you but it may be an ongoing Bunny quirk. Or maybe you'll be lucky and it's a puppy thing she will grow out of :crossfingers:

In the meantime, other dogs, particularly my other dogs, set Riley off more than anything, so when I come home thy all jump around and get excited but only Riley barks (yells, I call it). His noise then sets off Quinn with barking, although she isn't compulsive like he is.

If you really want it to stop I'd suggest they need to be separate whenever you aren't totally able to be on top of their behaviour, so that you can come home, greet Roo and totally ignore Bunny in another room until she shuts up. I also did 'any noise and I turned around and walked away' from Riley when he was a puppy, it didn't really work though. I mean he doesn't bark at me to demand things as that never worked for him but he still does the hysterical bark first think later thing.

But maybe Bunny has a bit more self control than Riley...hopefully.

Sorry, that's so not helpful, I'll see of I can think of some more useful advice when I'm less tired but I do absolutely understand your frustration :(

ETA I love Riley despite his quirks, he's my "special middle child" and even though I often wish he'd just shut up I'd still never change having him, you get used to dealing with their annoying-ness :)

Edited by Simply Grand