Raising Two Puppies At Once

Sheridan

Thanks, coogie. :) they are pests and terrors and so very full on. I completely adore them.

Reporting back on the toilet training, water drinking: I halved Roo's kibble yesterday and gave him raw mince. He drank much less, so thanks for the suggestions. I'll do the same tonight. This morning they got a boiled egg each with their kibble.

On toilet training, can I say I love my steam cleaner? No wees in the lounge room at all. Bunny did a wee by the back door last night. I was trying to get Roo up to go out (once he's asleep, he's really asleep) and I suppose she just couldn't hang on anymore.

Roo did one this morning, also by the back door. I didn't hear him tap but he's done that before. A bell to go out and then when I can trust them a bit more (like when they're 15), a doggy door?

Bullbreedboy, fake grass at Bunnings is bloody expensive!

some of these may be cheaper than Bunnings, maybe they will sell 1 metre

http://www.gumtree.c...?sort=price_asc

eta there is this on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Artificial-turf-Free-Postage-30mm-fake-grass-astro-turf-synthetic-turf-pool-/231617865649?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item35ed8027b1

Edited by Boronia

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great price! If you want to make the clean up even easier, I'd try placing it on top of a low sided litter box or a lid from a plastic storage container or something. it will catch the wee and you can just hose up the mess rather than washing your floor every time...

So far they're just trying to eat it. :laugh:

LOL! Typical puppies!

You need to rub the artifical turf pieces in their next wee so that it collects the right smell. The joys of puppy ownership - "Oh good boy! Did you wee outside? I'll just run and get the fake grass to rub on the real grass!" LOL you'll only need to do that once for each piece of turf, so feel free to check if the neighbours are watching first!

And don't let them play with the fake grass untilit has been suitably smellified...

Now they're sitting on it after weeing. Eeeeew.

Here's another issue: they each want the orher's food. Roo eats outside, Bunny inside. Roo will leave his food and bang on the door to get her food. If Bunny is let outside, she'll try to eat his food. I can't feed them together because one will get more food than the other. They don't fight over food, which is good, but one will inevitably get more food.

Bunny takes five minutes to eat hers. Roo takes five minutes to eat most of his. He then runs to the door, has a stampy when he can't get in, does a wee or a poo (I think because of the stampy and generally just outside the back door - eeeew, again), and then continues to stamp until Bunny is let out. She runs to his bowl and starts to eat what he's left (usually some of the dry). At the moment, I pick up the bowl and give it back to him and he'll eat the rest. Should I just put it away?

Mine wee and poo as soon as they've eaten. Normal. I would pick it up myself. But now I'm slowing mine down by using food toys and making them work for it (11 weeks). Sir H gets some time alone outside after he finishes. When he is quiet and relaxed exploring or resting I let Ginny out for a play. I am not keeping him so everyone needs to learn to be alone.

I'll do so. The issue is getting to it before Bunny does. Part of it is because, I think, he doesn't like the dry food. I'm going to get some of the previous food I fed him to see if it makes a difference.

Thunderstorms are when you get the BEST treats & games ..& go outside to play your favourite game :)

Yes, that's what I do. Cheese helps. I was really lucky with this litter - had some huge storms between 3-5 weeks of age (tin roof) so pups are completely nonplussed. I had to get them inside today when they were playing in the hail storm.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I'll do so. The issue is getting to it before Bunny does. Part of it is because, I think, he doesn't like the dry food. I'm going to get some of the previous food I fed him to see if it makes a difference.

I have a theory that advance isn't that palatable. We often get the big bags donated to the rescue, and have tried feeding it to many rescue dogs over the years and give up cause so many turn their nose up at it.

Bunny likes it and gobbles it down. I bought some ProPlan yesterday and mixed some in with the Advance and he's also gobbled down his brekkie. The other change I made was to use raised bowls and that seems to have helped as well. Doesn't stop the stampy from Roo but he does eat all his food. I'm ignoring the stampy as is Bunny.

Last night's storm experience was interesting. Bunny climbed up on the couch and trembled, panting heavily for hours. I finally got tired of the panting and shoved her off the couch where she sat down and stopped the panting immediately. Roo got clingy and also got up on the couch where he fell asleep. I think they associated the noise with the house because it sounded like it came from the ceiling. I was caught short in the treat department so couldn't shove things in their mouths but what little I did have on me, they weren't interested.

This morning, which is very cold and raining, all Roo wants to do is play outside. This boy needs a doggy door!

Edited by Sheridan

When I first got Ernie, he hated hated thunderstorms. I took him outside and gave him rare roast beef while we ran around the yard in the rain playing.

Unfortunately, now he looks for rare roast beef during the loudest claps and only gets the evil Smackos.

Every pup I've had, I've rewarded with fun and treats during fireworks and thunderstorms. The worst was Georgia the Amstaff who exhibited behaviours during thunderstorms and fireworks that could have seriously put her at risk. Which is when I came up with the roast beef game. I'm pleased to say by the end of her life she was able to sit outside with us on NYE and enjoy the show without any nervousness whatsoever. But it did take a lot of wet nights and roast beef to get to that point.

Worth a try?