Heel Position

Were do you like your dog to be heeling? Nose level with your side or shoulder level with your side. What do you think the benefits are? Have you evr got pinged in a trial for forging or lagging because of your preferred postition??

And why is the rule so vague??? :dropjaw:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UK Style heelwork all the way for me - unfortunately my girl has different ideas :dropjaw: . So ok she has suffered as I have stuffed around with exactly where I want her. Will see on the weekend exactly what type of heelwork we get in the ring.

I like shoulder by my leg because I like to be able to tell from peripheral vision where my dog is focussing or if she has lost focus. If her head is by my leg I have to move my head to look at her.

I like shoulder to the leg, dog looking straight up at you, even if there is a bit of crowding. It shows enthusiasm for the work and good drive. I know that some judges like this and some really do prefer nose to leg. It's a real individual thing I suppose. But give me complete focus on your face every time.

I like the dog's shoulder to be in line with my left leg. Same reason as Rom.

I am not a fan of the UK style of 'crowding' either.

I like the dog's head to be tilted slightly to the right (ie checking in with where my leg is) and I like the dog to check-in by a glance up every now and then, but I am not keen on the continual nose being pointed upwards towards me continuously. I like a dog who is able to check-in on the environment ahead of us and provide me with warning should I be about to fall into a bottomless pit.

But I don't trial. For myself, I train for what I identify as practicality. But someone else's requirements may be different, so I work to train to suit.

I like the dog's head to be tilted slightly to the right (ie checking in with where my leg is) and I like the dog to check-in by a glance up every now and then, but I am not keen on the continual nose being pointed upwards towards me continuously. I like a dog who is able to check-in on the environment ahead of us and provide me with warning should I be about to fall into a bottomless pit.

I agree Erny. This reminds me a bit of "Dancing with the Stars" when the female dancer is always looking backwards :thumbsup: . This poor dog has no idea where it's going. I was always taught the dog's shoulder was to be in line with your left leg, and the dog should be focusing on you with no distration. I'm not sure about totally eye-balling you though :D . It doesn't look very relaxed does it.

I would love my Goldie to be just a little more focused than he is at the moment *sigh*.

As this topic refers to heeling.

Who else is as anal as me LOL, in creating good habits and only rewarding for perfect position, as in one step at a time. I feel many reward for poor positioning thus confusing the dog.

I would like to be able to be that pedantic LL - would probably improve our heeling no end :thumbsup: I admit I am not perfect in my reward timing. I did try one step etc at a time, and found that in slow pace Diesel was excellent, but not so good in normal and fast pace.

As they say our timing, due to dog's reading body language as well as they do, is the secret.

I was being a little um.....over the top regarding the one step comment. Two steps, three steps. Whatever helps, also regarding our speed and size of dog for instance.

Just simply I found it so silly in obedience classes for all THAT heeling with poor results, due to horrid timing and the others (like poor focus and control). Too tight leads blah blah blah. I am rambling, sorry, tired.

I would probably be more anal if I were training a new pup or dog from scratch with what I know now. Having said that I can get really good work with my current girl if we reward 1 step and then build it up but my patience doesn't stretch that far with an almost 7 year old.

As this topic refers to heeling.

Who else is as anal as me LOL, in creating good habits and only rewarding for perfect position, as in one step at a time. I feel many reward for poor positioning thus confusing the dog.

I wasn't with Leo to start off with, but after some helpful training from a good friend she helped me 'correct' my mistakes.

With my new girl - I don't think we have done more than 4 steps - any more precise and i'd be stepping on her feet :thumbsup:!

I like to aim for the best heeling both my dog and I can do - not that we get it all the time, but we try! No point aiming for heeling that will pass novice, but give you difficulties in open/UD. JMHO :D

I like the dog's shoulder to be in line with my left leg. Same reason as Rom.

I am not a fan of the UK style of 'crowding' either.

Im with Erny & DogDude & gsdog2 & the other "old timers" ( :thumbsup: ) who like their dogs to be "normal" or "natural" when they heel :D .