What's Really High In Fat, And Irresisible?

One of my Poms, is extremely thin.. as in you can feel EVERY bone in his body. He has had all the relevant tests done at the vets, and he just has an extremely high metabolism, and is extremely active, but a poor eater. If you didnt touch him, you wouldnt notice, as he is so fluffy, yet he is so happy and active.. he is 'healthy' within himself, im just not satisfied with his current weight.

He is such a fussy eater, so far ive got him eating Eaglepack CANNED food, mushed with the nomal raw chicken mince rice & vegies, and he will eat it reluctantly, but i can see it not lasting for very long. At night I give him a big drink of low lactose milk, as he wont eat anymore than once a day.

I cant expect him to eat BIG meals, as he is such a tiny dog already, there isnt much room for him to eat alot anyway..

What foods are really high in fat that will help beef him up? Even though he only eats small amounts??

Ive got Ziwipeak on the way for him, it should arrive any day.. But other options would be muc h appreciated :(

Cheers

Ash

Satin Balls Recipe's

(for putting weight on dogs)

From Norskgra:

500g ground beef (one with plenty of fat in it)

250g pkg cream cheese

1 jar all natural peanut butter

1 jar (smaller of the sizes) wheat germ

1 doz egg yolks

1 cup or so of flaked oats soaked in heavy cream

Mix up, form balls, freeze, feed as treats or food supplement.

from Cala

5kg Cheap hamburger meat {high fat content}

Lg box of Sustain Cereal

Lg box of uncooked oatmeal

1 jar of Wheat Germ

1 1/4 cup of veg oil

1 1/4 cup of unflavored molasses

10 eggs

10 pks of unflavored gelatin

Garlic to Taste

1 cup of flaxseed...ground up.

2 scoops of Source/Kelp

Take all dry ingredients and place in a bowl. I crunch up the Sustainl while still in the box, and then pour all the other dry ingredients over it In a another large bowl put the hamburger meat and the wet ingredients. Mix each bowl well, then half each so that it is easier to mix. Mix just like you would a meatloaf I then take it raw, and place in freezer bags and put in the freezer, thaw out a bag as needed. feed raw. I use this not only as a quick weight gain, but as a everyday supplement for my dogs this recipe has been tested and analyzed by several universities and was found to be a total canine diet a dog could live on this without added kibble or any other supplements...this was before I added the Garlic and the Flaxseed and Kelp I have long hair black dogs, and this recipe really keeps their coat black/soft/long since I have...the past 6 months I have had no vet bills...and my dogs coats are wonderful, you need to watch how much you feed it will put weight on a slim dog in a matter of a few days. It will also make an easy keeper fat in just a short period of time. Try it, your dogs will love it!!! One other thing, I have just started to add Kelp to it also, just for the added Iodine, may be good for those dogs that have a lower normal thyroid function. You can make this recipe in what ever amount you need/want by just halving the recipe down to what you want.

from WithEverythingIAm

5kg hamburger mince or Chicken Pet Mince

1 box of Sustain or Just Right-Just Grains

500g Oatmeal

#1 cup of Wheat Germ

1 1/4 cup vegetable oil

#1 1/4 cup of Un-flavored Molasses

10 raw eggs + eggshells

100g of Un-flavored Gelatine

#1 cup of flax seed*

6tsp Powdered Kelp*

3tsp Crushed Garlic*

3tsp Apple Cidar Vinegar*

Add all dry foods together - mix. in another Larger bowl (I bought a HUGE Bucket/Basket thing from The Warehouse - $8), mix all wet foods together including crushed up eggshells. Add Dry foods into the wet container (this is where it gets messy), and mix with fingers. Make into balls, and devide into bags.

I found these in the pinned message 'General Health Information' at the top of health/nutrition/grooming.

You might also find this old thread informative...

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?...;hl=satin+balls

Edited by conchy

your problem seems to be the food itself as well as the capability of your dog to digest.

Milk as well as some veg causes intestinal gas, which means it creates a full feeling. Also can your dog digest those food that u have given?

Pumping fat in is not necessarily good, develop weight due to muscle and bones should be the right way to do.

I'm sure if u start feeding chicken skin and lamb fat your pom will double the side in no tme....but again no food will be taken because your pom don't seems to be able to digest them.

U can try adding veg that aids digestion or simply use low fat yoghurt in between meals to improve digestion.

When a dog output is a lot, the input should increase as well...and that is of course depends on whether the dog feel the need for more food or not as well as capable of digesting it als.

When one of my gsd was quite underweight and i had her to the vets being desexed the vet mentioned that basically you need more fat in her diet so i started going to the butchers and he would mince up some fat and i started adding that to her food,not too much but it soon started working.

She was on a very good quality food and was a bit picky but consumed the minced fat up no worries.Apart from that i guess any bones that have a fair bit of fat on them may help like brisket bones

good luck

julie

A greyhound racing "addative" called "Sprint Oil" made by ranvet :( :D :rofl: I think we buy 5L for around $40, but greys get around 2tbs/day, so not much would be required for a lil munchkin. You can also get it in 1L bottles.

Smells delicious too - my Boxer who's quite the fusspot when it comes to food laps it up all by itself or when added to his Performance Nutro which he also loves by itself!

-WithEverythingIAm

I've looked at the cans of that at work - the protein n fat content are quite low. It's also VERY SLOPPY as it's used to tube feed animals. You'd be better off feeding a puppy/working dog dry food, or just adding extra protein (meat) or fat to diet?

-WithEverythingIAm

your problem seems to be the food itself as well as the capability of your dog to digest.

Milk as well as some veg causes intestinal gas, which means it creates a full feeling. Also can your dog digest those food that u have given?

Pumping fat in is not necessarily good, develop weight due to muscle and bones should be the right way to do.

I'm sure if u start feeding chicken skin and lamb fat your pom will double the side in no tme....but again no food will be taken because your pom don't seems to be able to digest them.

U can try adding veg that aids digestion or simply use low fat yoghurt in between meals to improve digestion.

When a dog output is a lot, the input should increase as well...and that is of course depends on whether the dog feel the need for more food or not as well as capable of digesting it als.

The problem is not the food itself, nor his digestive system.. He is just a very fussy eater.. believe me :( I know my dogs. I could go out and buy him a whole bbq chook, and he would scoff the lot. I could cook him a whole roast beef, and again, he'd eat the lot.

Its just a matter of feeding him what he LIKES to eat. A few months ago, he was eating the chicken, rice & veg that the rest of the dogs get, no worries, AND digesting no worries.

I cant develop muscle on him if I cant get fat on him to turn into muscle..

Correct weight, he would be a 2kg dog. I would like to see him at 2.5kg, as I know alot of Pom exhibitors keep their dogs 'boney' (because they are judged on weight not height) and I dont like that at all..

Its just a matter of finding foods that suit his 'expensive taste'

Thanks guys for all your input, keep it coming :D

Roxieda highly palatable good quality protein would be good too.

Highly palatable foods that may assist are:

Roast Chicken

Cottage Cheese

Scrambled Eggs with grated cheese added (my dogs go nuts for that)

Beef Mince

Maybe variety will help - little bits of this and that.

Fussy bugger isn't he!! I have always found a bit of competition helps ... what would happen if you put his dinner down for five minutes and then gave anything left to one of the big dogs? :) My guys know the rule: eat it or lose it.

Nothing against the medical health of your dogs but have u take a look at the weight of the poo itself? What goes in and come out doesn't mean your dog can digest them, if u feed 100g of meat and it comes out 100g of poo that doesn't say your dog is digesting. It just say passing it out only, confirming that the pooing system is ok, not digestion.

Of course u must know your dogs well no doubt about it, just some suggestions for ideas.

Since u mention about putting on weight and your dog can eat and digest everything u give and it likes then putting on weight is just a matter of increasing the quantity and with less exercise and same metabolic rate, they should gradually increase the mass as well.

I wouldn't try adding richer food that they are not used to just to put on weight too quickly since Pom is a toy breed and adding 100g to a toy comparing to a working breed can have a great impact on the skeleton. If u plan to add 500g to a 2000g pom, u will be increasing a quarter of its weight which u may want to consider growing it slowly.

Moreover u mention your dog is a picky eater, what if it gets used to your fatty food and refused to change back to the normal food? Are u ok with providing these fattening food throughout their lives? Will their metabolic rate always remains this high as well as the energy level?

Just my 2cents.

Edited by Malsam

I cant develop muscle on him if I cant get fat on him to turn into muscle..

Fat and muscle are two completely seperate things. Fat does not turn into muscle. You can have a very low fat percentage with high muscle and vice versa. Muscle grows through physical activity.

Sorry, I know this doesn't help your main query anyway but I thought it should be made clear. :thumbsup:

Edited by Puggles

What's the name of that powder you sprinkle on food. Damn, can't remember. It's digestive enzymes and other stuff and it's supposed to help digest food better and helps with weight gain. Adding extra fat will work if your dog can tolerate the fat, some just get the runs.

What's the name of that powder you sprinkle on food. Damn, can't remember. It's digestive enzymes and other stuff and it's supposed to help digest food better and helps with weight gain. Adding extra fat will work if your dog can tolerate the fat, some just get the runs.

I think you may be talking about Thrive D???

I just had to post the following picture in response to 'what's really high in fat and irresistible to dogs". :thumbsup:

post-1954-1179987238_thumb.jpg

Edited by poodlefan

Now, I could be completely making this up but i seem to remember maybe reading somewhere that a little bit of vegemite on the roof of the mouth 1/2 an hour before a meal can help to stimulate appetite.

Can someone in the know, please, confirm or quash my possible false memory. :love::)

Ive got him eating :D A combination of things.. Eaglepack shrimp/Salmon canned food, mushed up with raw chicken mince, mushed up royal canin puppy bikkies, and Ziwipeak sprinkled on the top.

I have to stir it ever so often though and move it away from the edges of the bowl for him :eek: He has put on 200grams over the past few days.. Which is excellent, I can already feel the difference.