Great Barko & Uncle Alber's

Would you be interested in either/both products?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Great Barko

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Not in Brissie but recommend it
    • No comment
  2. 2. Uncle Alber's

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Not in Brissie but recommend it
    • No comment

Ooo...do tell??

I meant to add my lil critique of the stuff the other day...will do so now - it's a totally different texture to 'normal' kibble...not so grainy...actually no where near as grainy. It's from one of those extruder thingo's but isn't kibble shaped or the long cylinder type either and all of different sizes. I'd seriously like to try the dogs on a bag or two and see how they go. They woofed into it and my Birman decided she liked the GB formula ;)

Currently the company is trying to see who else up in and around Brisbane would like to stock the stuff and any of their other produce so that i CAN try a bag or two...lol

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe someone should buy a bag, then split it all up into sample sizes and you can purchase it (to recover the cost of the bag)?

If you decide to go that way i know where there is bags of it ;)

KK I just re-ead the thread & Im confused :) - are you saying that there is somewhere out at Goodna that already stocks it, or is that where you have been trying to get up brought up to?

Great Barko made my dogs stink!

Stupid that they only have big bags because i have 15kgs sitting in a tub here that i will never use.

Give it to rescue or the local pound :) .

Great Barko made my dogs stink!

Stupid that they only have big bags because i have 15kgs sitting in a tub here that i will never use.

Give it to rescue or the local pound :( .

Its on my to do list :D , but i am not heading that way for awhile. I dont care who takes it because its wasting here i wont even feed it too my foster dog as it makes her smell too.

Regarding my dogs stinking, they reeked, their breath was disgusting and their poo was horrendous. One actually starting farting and i can tell you it wasnt pretty :)

Lucky it was cheap food.

Not sure if it was the GB that the boys got as a meal - but it's the only thing in their diet that has been different...but both my boys came up in large hotspots on their backs...both around the same spot but Sabre's was bigger and went across his back at the waist whereas Bronx had it at the waist but only one side.

Not sure if it was the GB as a meal that did it...but it's all that i can think of that's been different food wise or medication wise even :laugh:

I've used it on four breeds now and I have found it to be the best "budget" range food available. No problems with smelly dogs, stinky poo, hot spots or anything else. In fact, one of the dogs used to get hotspots from a food recommended by a TV vet but didn't have problems with the GB. And it is the ONLY food that all dogs will eat and eat happily.

Each to their own. One mans' meat is another mans poison but I certainly like what it does for my dogs and I won't be changing foods in a hurry.

I had a very very fussy eater and I tried it he loved it so did the others and they did very well on it, only reason I changed was beacuse I couldnt find anywhere close to get it from now.

We've tried GB.

At first our dogs did back flips to get to it but by the 2nd bag they were refusing to eat the stuff. It seems very oily - a certain amount is good but too much ... well, lets just say our poo bin was overflowing and it was all the soft and fluffy type of poo. They all put on heaps of weight very quickly and lost condition and their coats didn't shine but were quite dull. Zulu scratched more and Chessy chewed his feet for the first time ever so we took them off it.

It may work for your dogs though, who knows.

I agree with Emmark.

Dogs need to eat a bucket load to try to maintain their weight. Coats will look dull and long haired breeds coats seam to go brittle. What ever amount you feed, double comes out the other end.

Stick to a quality dry food, in the end it is worth it.

You get what you pay for.

Leanne

PS try soaking it and then you can see what it is really made from.

I know of dogs fed this, and as above they seem to need to be fed by the bucket load to maintain any weight, poor coat condition and my the amount that comes out the other end !! :(

IMHO I agree with Leanne, you get what you pay for. I'd suggest trying a better quality kibble.

I guess my dogs must be different then because I had to cut them back because they were putting weight on too quickly! Shiny coats, less "output" and no reduction in energy.

Even the old Stafford boy who just didn't "do" cold weather maintained his weight on GB during one of our vicious Tassie winters.

You'd be surprised the number of top kennels who use the product. It was discussed at great length on Ozshow a few times and was highly recommended by all who used it. That was why I decided to try it in the first place.

I'd never go back to another food now.

I have a foster who for the last 7 mths has been a very lean cross and would not put any weight on. I saw this stuff in the produce place I shop and thought it wouldn't hurt to try as nothing else was working. He now has a little cover over his ribs that I have not had on him before. His coat is shining and there is barely nothing in my yard to clean up. I have reduced what my girls eat too as their weight was going up and they don't need any extra on. I also found my beagles no longer eat their out put and I can only think that is a good thing.

I can only agree with other that the biggest thing to remember is go with what works for your dogs.

have to agree with what some of you are saying about Great Barko or Barko, :eek: whichever one it was my dad bought home after winning some at a raffle, :( thank goodness it was a small bag, cause all I can say is that there is an awful lot of cleaning up to do - mum has mixed it with Nutro (their normal kibble) so hopefully that will fix our dogs soon. :eek:

Received a generous bag of samples yesterday. Unfortuneately most of the little bags broke so the dogs get to try a combination of both types. They went wild for the smell and have woofed it down so far. I am combining it with mostly raw though, as I do anyway. Will let you know if any unpleasant reactions. It is certainly different from other dry foods.

I received this email from the makers:

"Thank you for your enquiry re Great Barko & Uncle Albers Dog Foods.

Whilst these products have enjoyed strong increasing sales in Victoria and South Australia for the last 3 years, interest in NSW & Qld has only just begun.

This interest coincides with us putting on a Sydney based representative in January which has been backed by some advertising and sponsorship.

Craig Taylor our Sydney representative plans to spend a couple of weeks in Queensland in late July or August which we hope will result in some added outlets of our products.

In the meantime I will forward some samples as requested and when you get a positive result from your dogs please enquire about the products at your local store as these enquiries usually play a big part as to whether stores are willing to take on new feed lines."

Have you decided to go ahead with trying to order any KitKat?