Best Clicker Trainer In Victoria

Clickers have always been simply a marker, to me.

Nevertheless, I have an open mind (most times anyway LOL) I am enquiring who is the best clicker (focusing on canines) person in Australia?. Private sessions would be best, but a seminar would be OK I suppose.

Well we worked with Kerrie Haynes-Lovell at the CGC Instructors course and she was awesome. :D Worked for many years at Seaworld training routines, prefers a whistle over a clicker though, and she's retired, don't know whether she does private instruction.

Mel.

My mum is in the States for two years and she says there is a huge amount of doggy stuff there! (she is trying to convince me to come over :D ) - there is apparently this huge pet palace place near where they live combining daycare, training, grooming, pet store. And there is a doggy 'happy hour' along the local shops where they can have puppicinos and treats :laugh:

If it wasn't so hard to bring dogs over and back I would consider going for a while :laugh: but I do like some stuff in Oz better.

Hey Lablover,

I'm not sure who is the best in Aus but there are plenty of sites on the net covering much of the theory that is required to understand to improve the teaching methods that may be used with a clicker.

One of the most well known trainers from the states is Bob (and Marion) Bailey (see links http://www.k9events.com/clicker_Bob_Bailey.htm), he has a DVD i'm contemplating buying as some stage. He is more about utilising the theories of learning rather than requiring the use of an instrument but will use them if required.

The other index for clicker training is http://www.k9events.com/clickerIndex.htm.

Others known for making "clicker training" well known are Karen Pryor http://www.clickertraining.com/ who has started clicker expo and included a great number of experts from different fields eg Ken Ramirez, Steve White, etc.

Another site is http://www.clickersolutions.com/.

Hard to say who would be the best because its more about giving you the skills to understand such as timing, criteria, rate of reinforcement, placement of reinforcement, modifying your environment, etc, rather than someone who is the best at training dogs themselves. Sometimes you don't get both (trainer and teacher) rather one or the other.

The others are right though - the states have an ENOURMOUS amount of trainers that have skills coming from a wide variety of professions. I think i would probably try and attend the clicker expo next time i'm over there rather than the pet dog trainers conference (which included many of those involved in the clicker expo). I might be able to lend you some audio from those workshops to give you an indication of what they might teach you.

I would be interested in hearing recommendations of others within Aus.

Edited by NaturallyWild

Wow! 5 Days! They have so much more in America in some ways than we do here.

:D So they should have. They have around 15 times Australia's population of people!

Lablover:

Have you joined the "positive only" yahoo discussion group for dog obedience triallers?

I'm sure the members on there will point you in the right direction. "Ness"???

Edited by dogdude

ive been clicker training for fifteen years or so but whether im the best i doubt it because i dont use it in a purist shaping form but am happy to show you what i know what are you looking for i can show you how to shape from scratch etc but at the end of the day the clicker is a marker and it is about breaking things down into small bits and i think you'll find you already do it anyway

Ive met some pretty impressive trainers throughout the years the best ive met at clicker dunno tey are all so different nd it depends on what you want to learn Luke Hura is great at trick training tv work the girls that run te freestyle classes in dandenong seem pretty swtched on i would imagine jenny wilcox would know her stuff though i havent met her shes in patterson lake and fro what ive heard a purist

umm deb at hastings clicker trains and has trained a horse as well as dogs

but if you want to meet at kcc one sunday morning im happy to go over some stuff wiht you and explain anything you want to know

ROFL DD my status for knowing the best positive trainers in Australia proceeds me. I have PMd LL with a suggestion but not entirely sure what LL is after. I know of a lot who are positive and bloody brilliant trainers in my opinion and may use a clicker (as a tool alongside other positive techniques) but I wouldn't necessarily call them the best clicker person if you get my drift.

Hard to say who would be the best because its more about giving you the skills to understand such as timing, criteria, rate of reinforcement, placement of reinforcement, modifying your environment, etc, rather than someone who is the best at training dogs themselves. Sometimes you don't get both (trainer and teacher) rather one or the other.

I would be interested in hearing recommendations of others within Aus.

:rofl:

Mary Rae comes to Coolangatta in October every year. This is over eight days and includes obedience, agility and canine freestyle (doggy dancing). People who went last year raved over it. You can do all or part of this.

I'm sure you all know who Mary Rae is, but just in case: She is a top trialler and you would have seen her doggy dancing routines at Crufts. She is one of the best clicker trainers and a lot of fun as well. All positive stuff.

Held at Coolangatta Pet Motel, accommodation, meals optional. October 14 to 21. With or without your dog. Guarantee you will learn heaps.

Loretta and I will be going this year, love to see you there too.

Noels.

Mrsdog,

Thanks and also everyone thankyou.

Far be it, for me to not accept such an opporunity, but............the Australian retrieving State champship is on that weekend. With the Australian National on 26th, 27th and 28th.

Then I am back to America to observe their Open national, and a seminar in Texas.