Food Refusal

Am about to go to work, but just before I go wanted to ask what different methods you guys use for food refusal? And if the dogs that are taught food refusal are taught to refuse food no matter what, or if they are taught to refuse it only on a command and what the differences would be in teaching both?

I started the "zen" style clicker refusal but interested in all experiences

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you meaning meal time manners - as in the dog will sit in front of the bowl or food refusal as in the UD exercise for obedience - the former is easy and if its the later for trialling purposes all the positively trained dogs do gloves or speak as food at the end of UD is seen as being a negative exercise for the dogs.

Edited by ness

I mean for trials Sway

At dinner time they know they can't have their dinner so I guess this would be kind of an extension of it. Just having trouble imagining someone else offering them food and them not taking it!

all the positively trained dogs do gloves or speak as food at the end of UD is seen as being a negative exercise for the dogs

Do you mean they do gloves or speak instead of food?

I mean for trials Sway

At dinner time they know they can't have their dinner so I guess this would be kind of an extension of it. Just having trouble imagining someone else offering them food and them not taking it!

And should you have an accident, and they not take food from anyone else.

I don't see a need for it really.

Thats why I was asking if it is normally on command to leave it, as if they only refuse after being told to leave it wouldnt cause that issue

My reply was in response to your comment below.

Just having trouble imagining someone else offering them food and them not taking it!

Good question Shoemonster - wondered the same thing myself. :D Not just for UD, but it would be handy from a everyday point of view, simply for safety reasons. One of the best places for off-lead walks around here occasionally has campers and I'd prefer Darcy didn't pick up random leftover food and eat it ;) If its bones then she'll leave it on a "leave-it" command, but if its easy and quick to eat its gone before I get a chance!

Your comment is interesting Ness - and I can see your point. However, speak on command is out for us cos Darcy basically doesn't bark. :)

That leaves us with the glove exercise for UD - what is it in a nutshell? :D

Edited by feralpup

Brock is taught to refuse on command. He had to refuse hot sausage for his basic obedience test, nasty! The idea behind it is a safety one, that the dog will not eat anything unless told it could. Personally I think that is a big ask! Can't see too many dogs leaving a sausage untouched!

I taught mine not to touch something when told, otherwise they are hoovers :laugh:

Basically started with something they dont really want like normal dry food and placed it in front of them when they are sitting if they tried to eat it they were given an ah-ah and when they looked at me i clicked and gave them different food from my hand. Once they were looking at me and not the food i moved to something more tasty and so on till i can say leave it and they look straight at me.

There will be other ways to teach it but this way worked for me. I havent got to the stage of them sitting while i was a distance away with my back turned as i took a break for obedience.

I taught Bondi by holding food in my hand then closing my palm when she attempted to eat it and saying leave it, and then giving it to her when she left it and looked away from it. Then progressed onto putting it on the floor and doing the same. Bondi is taught to leave food all together until I tell her she can have it. If theres a piece of food on the floor she will leave it and give me constant eye-contact until i say "ok"

So no different to saying leave it when they try and eat another dogs shit.

I wouldnt think so if your dog finds shit appetising but most dogs much prefer food to shit so its harder to teach if you have a food obsessed dog.

Thanks guys

They have learnt a informal leave, with food, I guess I'll just extend on that, and start with the boring food like TO said

Then bring in a 3rd party once they are pretty solid

I'd have to say I'm pretty glad neither of mine ever seemed to enjoy eating poo :laugh:

So no different to saying leave it when they try and eat another dogs shit.

I wouldnt think so if your dog finds shit appetising but most dogs much prefer food to shit so its harder to teach if you have a food obsessed dog.

Yet the principle is the same :laugh:

The level of degree seems to be more difficult for some dogs.

Sorry Shoey yep they do gloves or speak instead of food in UD. Over West almost all the dogs without fail do gloves. Even my non retrieving girl is loving gloves so whats the point in doing a exercise which has a negative feeling attacted (especially if your dog loves food) when you can do a positive one.

In the ring you may only use the command STAY and it may be no other word. Its one of the only commands which is dictated.

ETA you will also if you watch carefully see a lot of stressed dogs performing the food refusal exercise in the UD ring (another reason why I would NEVER teach a dog it).

As for gloves basically there are 3 gloves set up in a line each glove 6 meters apart about 12 meters from the dog and you are lined up with your back turned to glove number 2. When the judge tells you which glove your to retrieve you about turn, give direction to the dog via a hand signal and then send the dog to retrieve the glove allocated (either 1,2 or 3). Dog goes out and retrieves the glove and returns and sits in front. The one advantage over the directed retrieve is that you only have to do 1 in the ring. Food and Speak you have to do 3 times in three different positions - sit, drop and stand.

Edited by ness