Teaching Your Dog The Military Flip When Heeling ?

Mary ray teaches it rather simply by luring.

With the dog sitting in front. Move the left leg back so that you are standing almost sideways to the dog. The left leg back kind of acts as a guide for the dog. Lure the dog along the line of you body. For those that use clickers click as the dog reaches the end of the line.. from there bring your left leg back so you are standing square while luring the dog with you. and click and treat when the dog is back at heel.

Best way to describe it.. the dog does a circle at your left. as the dog gets to learn the exercise. the circle becomes smaller with the end result in 'flipping' back at heel.

Much to my current OIC of club's friendly disgust... I do the flip finish....Something I kinda taught from the start as soon as I found out it was allowed in Qld competitions.

Do not like the conventional finish..although my dogs do both if needed.

Happy to be of service :) I was thinking that the OP was talking about doing it on the move.

My club teaches the finishes like that. They call it a teardrop finish which does explain quite nicely how the doggy moves in the beginning. I don't like it because I can't get square sits that way. Pup is still rather unco.

Dunno how they do the left about turn.

The phone book looks interesting as it seems to keep pups feet in the one spot whilst the back pivots.

I teach the signal (exaggerated dropping of my left shoulder), check with lead and swing right leg across in front of dog to start with (all I need is big clown feet for effect :) ) and then as it all starts to make sense to the dog with repetition, the signals get toned down more and more and more till they are imperceptible to everyone but the dog...in the end all I do is twitch my left shoulder a couple of mms and that's enough to swing Tango into a turn as I turn. Very neat and a good thing to teach if you have a dog that forges.

I got the idea from Kay Laurence, when I did CCD with Moses, I didn't want to do the other left about turn as I was getting tangled up in the lead, do this one instead. I use the phone book to teach him to think about what he is doing and use his back end to swing around. I then put this into the heeling. He generalised it well. Check out the Kay Laurence website.

I only do this turn as I think it looks less messy, but only when done properly.

When about to turn left I have food in my left hand, push my hand back slightly and push my left shoulder back and your dog should back up and pivot on the spot. I think it is a good one if your dog tends to go wide around you in the left about turn. This stops them from doing that.

I have used phone book aswell. Get your dog to put both front feet on phone book and pivot around just using his back legs.

This makes the dog aware he has back legs and he can move around on them. (which my boy apparently did not know he had :laugh: ) I also used this when training my dog to walk backwards.

(I am assuming this is the turn you're all talking about. Without the dog walking around you when doing left about turn ?)